Profile for G. Holder > Reviews

Simon Schama's The American Future: A History [DVD]
Simon Schama's The American Future: A History [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Schama

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality overview; lacking Quantity, 1 Feb 2011
Fundamentally, it is enjoyable to watch; imbuing a historical documentary with vitality through colourful biographical accounts, e.g. Montgomery C. Meigs. Furthermore the style focuses on particular people and situations, utilising them as microcosms to highlight larger and more general socio-economic patterns and occurences.

On the other hand, there is only 4 hours of footage. Indeed despite a whole episode focusing on American Wars and American views on war , virtually no attention was given to the wars of the 20th Century: indeed there was no mention on the World Wars, Vietnam.

To conclude, it is an illuminating and interesting overview of American History also extapolating on some of the future problems for America in the 21st Century. However, it is limited by a lack of time which impinges upon the quantity of American history which is covered. Therefore I believe it was worth watching, but arguably Schama's books may be substantial.

How to Feel Confident: Simple Tools for Instant Success
How to Feel Confident: Simple Tools for Instant Success
by Leil Lowndes

2.0 out of 5 stars The tips are repetitive and condescending (reflecting the nature of the book) to anyone but the Socially Removed, 12 May 2010
I recently bought Leil Lowndes' book "How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks For Big Success In Relationships". I found the tips within easily applicable and very well recieved: essentially what it said on the tin! On the other hand, buying this book - "How to Feel Confident" - I felt it was targeted at those who struggle to say "hello", as opposed to those who can say "hello" but struggle with being confident and the rest of a relationship. Genuinely only one piece of advice did I find helpful (to do with raising energy levels by being expressive, crazy, and physical when you wake up). Indeed, ironically, I felt myself becoming less confident as going through the book: it keeps on reminding the reader that they are a "Shy"; I felt branded into a category which I do not believe I necessarily am.

Therefore, in conclusion, I would advocate for anyone who simply wants to improve their communication skills (which, by implication, would increase confidence)to get Leil Lowndes' book "How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks For Big Success In Relationships". As I found this book - "How to Feel Confident" - would only be helpful for the enlightenment of the socially removed.