Profile for Parthian > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Le Creuset Stoneware Butter Dish - Cerise
Le Creuset Stoneware Butter Dish - Cerise

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit small, 7 April 2014
It's nicely made and looks good on the breakfast table, but its a touch snug for the standard British butter pat and if you like Yeo Valley or one of those other butters that are broader shaped, be prepared to cut them in half.

It's not a major issue but just means the top gets covered in butter through everyday use. Not sure I'd buy it again.

simplehuman Rectangular Recycler, 46 L - Fingerprint-Proof Stainless Steel
simplehuman Rectangular Recycler, 46 L - Fingerprint-Proof Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars I spent more than £100 on a bin!, 19 Mar 2014
No, really, I did.

I still can't believe it as I sit here and type: £100... on a bin. Somewhere, people are starving.

What is, perhaps, worse: I am delighted with it.

It is neat, stays resolutely smear free despite all the muck that goes in it and has totally sorted out the Kitchen bin clutter we had.

But, £100.. on a bin! Does this mean I'm middle class... or just an idiot?

The Shark in the Dark
The Shark in the Dark
by Peter Bently

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't mean to sound selfish but inside a shark is no place for a shellfish, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Shark in the Dark (Paperback)
Just brilliant.

This is a joy to read - that's why we ALL love it. My little one does but then she loves all sorts of terrible books too. The reason me and her mum still love this one after a thousand reads is because it's great fun to read out loud.
All the fish have different voices and the shark has a suitably mean and nasty baritone and the story really comes to life as a result.
It helps that it's beautifully written and the illustrations are busy, bright and full of fun.
This deserves family treasure status in more families - buy it and spread the word.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2013 7:57 PM GMT

Taurino Cosimo Primitivo 7 Ceppo Annata Salento IGP 2008 75cl (Case of 6)
Taurino Cosimo Primitivo 7 Ceppo Annata Salento IGP 2008 75cl (Case of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars rich raisony perfection, 29 Sep 2013
It's not subtle but it is superb. If you like rich Italian reds, this powerful but beautifully balanced Primitivo is unlikely to disappoint.

The Sisters Brothers
The Sisters Brothers
by Patrick deWitt

4.0 out of 5 stars Pacy and packed full of cartoonishly grizzly frontier freaks, 6 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Sisters Brothers (Paperback)
In the best spaghetti tradition, this is a tale sparsely told. A few masterly pen strokes do the work of a thousand words, so you'll fly through it.
There's relentlessly wry, espresso-dark humour and it's clear from the get-go this is unlikely to end well for anybody, as the Sisters Brothers murder and pillage their way on route to a mysterious mission for the enigmatically evil Commodore.
Through all the blood, hangovers and whores and unfortunate horse trauma, Eli relates the horror in a bluntly matter-of-fact voice, innoculated to the brutality by a lifetime of casual violence. And yet, his burgeoning sense of right and wrong and childlike longing for something decent to hold on to are both the core of this bitter-sweet little story and what saves it from being trampled under a wagon train of Clinty-cliche.
Pacy and packed full of cartoonishly grizzly frontier freaks, The Sisters Brothers offer a familiar but somehow still fresh take on the west.

SleepGuard® CE approved snore mouthpiece complete with anti-bacterial case and plastic spatula.
Offered by UK Innovations GP Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not sexy but it works, 14 Nov 2011
The world of stop snoring aids is full of charlatans, fakers and fantasists. The safest stance is to view the whole industry with a raised eye brow.
But there was something about mandibular advancement that sounded like good sense, so I gave it a try for the sake of my routinely ear-plugged other half.
Of the various options out there this was the best priced and although there were other more technical sounding versions, I figured 'how technical does what is essentially an elaborate gum-shield need to be'?
It is easy to set-up and then it just works. It shuts me right up, reducing me to only the occasional snuffle.
The only reason it's 4 stars not 5 is because it is a bit uncomfortable sometimes, especially after extended wear and it makes me look like a front row forward. But it's nothing I can't live with and the pay off is fantastic. I think I sleep better and she certainly does.

Logitech MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse
Logitech MX518 Optical Gaming Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet spot, 29 Mar 2011
A mouse is a mouse is a mouse right? Well, no, it turns out.
I'd never realised I would care about what mouse I used until I tried one of these beauties. As a big lumpen handed man, I now realise loads of other mice are too dainty for my mitts, whereas this big old boy fits nicely.
And, thanks to the sensitivity, when I first plugged it in, it made a massive difference in game too - head shots suddenly started racking up nicely and I started to pull off the moves I always planned but had before been unable to execute.
You can spend almost as much money as you want on a mouse but this, I reckon, represents a sweet spot between value and performance that is hard to beat. And it just has a cool beaten metal exterior rather than loads of flashy lights and painful sharp-edged design.
Oh and it's easy to change the sensitivity of the thing on the fly if you want to, but I just ratcheted it up on day one; and there it sits.
On the down side, after a couple of years the cable degraded and it started to drop out for a few seconds here and then before becoming virtually unusable. I've read other reviews that suggest it's a model fault. But after scouting around and rejecting flashy £50+ mice, I kept returning to the Mx518 - I really don't want any more from a mouse.

Fiskars FibreComp 911029 Handy 1000 Axe (discontinued by manufacturer)
Fiskars FibreComp 911029 Handy 1000 Axe (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp purchase, 21 Feb 2011
I'm no axe expert, but I am delighted with this. Feels well made, razor sharp and does everything asked of it well. Because of its construction there's none of the old trouble of the head flying off the handle.
It says it can chop down trees and that may be true, but little ones only!

Puglia and Basilicata (Lonely Planet Regional Guides)
Puglia and Basilicata (Lonely Planet Regional Guides)
by Paula Hardy

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but no pics, 21 Feb 2011
It's got lots of information, but it's all a bit... joyless. No pics, nothing to whet the appetite, just pages and pages of drab black and white info. I imagine this is what travel books in the fifties were like.
Don't get me wrong, the content is fine, it's just that I want a little bit of excitement from my travel book.
The best reason to buy this book is that that there isn't another one better, or at least none that I can find.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2013 5:00 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need, 28 Nov 2010
Good, solid, well-built feel. Simple to use - works a treat. Great battery life - does dozens of trims before running down and recharges quickly.
Doesn't collect the hair, so you'll carpet the floor with it, but that's what Hoovers are for! If you really want to carp, you could say it's a quite noisy. But it's a lawnmower for your face, so what do you expect.
After owning a rubbishy Philips things with lots of cheap, plasticky attachments that quickly broke, this is a joy. No regrets.

Page: 1 | 2