Profile for PatriciaL > Reviews

PatriciaL (Cirencester UK)

Speak and Grow Rich Revised and Updated
Speak and Grow Rich Revised and Updated
by WALTERS

4.0 out of 5 stars I was not happy with the copy I received - it was not ..., 17 Jun. 2016
The book itself is quite old, so be sure to be prepared - it for instance, talks a lot about faxes... That aside, it does what it says on the tin (although not sure about the Grow Rich bit). As far as the supplier goes, I was not happy with the copy I received - it was not in good condition, I thought that a more realistic description would be fair. I gave this feedback and the supplier refunded my money which I did not ask for. So I would give the supplier a full five stars.

Best Friends Seagull Wand
Best Friends Seagull Wand

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cat toy ever, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Best Friends Seagull Wand (Misc.)
I had found one of these before and my two cats are crazy about it. After more than a year it has become rather bedraggled, so I looked for another and the supplier I had used before didn't have anymore. So very pleased to find it here. It arrived and my little kitten got it out of the packing before I got to it... they love it.

The Thin Book of SOAR; Building Strengths-Based Strategy
The Thin Book of SOAR; Building Strengths-Based Strategy

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant quick review, 19 Mar. 2014
I designed a workshop using the SOAR model (admittedly combined with a Foresight technique) and was able to quickly download this book for a refresher without having to dig through notes I'd made years ago when I used it last. I am delighted I did as it is clear and simple and just what I needed to jog memory. My thanks to Jackie!

Black Reclining Garden Sun Lounger Armrest Headrest Relaxing
Black Reclining Garden Sun Lounger Armrest Headrest Relaxing
Offered by KD & Jay

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 25 Jun. 2012
In itself the lounger is fine and what we expected BUT what we did not expect was to receive what looked like a second-hand, already used product. It was muddy in places on the frame and was damaged slightly. The frame was scratched in several places and one of the plastic feet was broken, no longer staying in place. It still works, but it is NOT what we expect to see from Amazon or one of its resellers. If we hadn't needed it due to using for convalescent, we would have gone to the hassle of returning it. We are NOT impressed and not happy about it

Plan for the Planet (Gower Green Economics and Sustainable Growth Series)
Plan for the Planet (Gower Green Economics and Sustainable Growth Series)
by Ian Chambers

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide to what you can do NOW, 14 Jun. 2012
Plan for the Planet 'guides you through what you can do, and what your organisation and nation can do to achieve global sustainability by 2100. We need to start. It can't wait. If you want to know what to do about it, you should read this book.

LuvMac iPad BLACK Multifunctional Multi Angle Luxury Executive Wallet / Cover / Stand / Flip Case
Offered by Techccessorize UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of cover / flip case, 15 Jun. 2011
I bought this case to protect my iPad, but am finding the ability to use it as a stand very useful, especially when working with clients. I am also pleased that it is robust enough to deal with living in a handbag or briefcase.

Hacking Work: Breaking Stupid Rules for Smart Results
Hacking Work: Breaking Stupid Rules for Smart Results
by Bill Jensen

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideas for the new world of work, 10 Nov. 2010
Bill Jensen and Josh Klein have written a book about how to get things done in organisations that are not designed for the work we have to do today. How do you actually achieve anything when it seems like an organisation's processes work against you? You will find some answers here.

We know that things change very quickly these days yet that organisations change slowly. The definition of a 'hack' is to manage to do something positive, benevolent and good for the organisation while not (potentially) following ALL of the rules. I used to work for an organisation where we were encouraged to 'ask forgiveness, not permission'. This is what they are advocating and it is a joy to see this encouraged. The only way we will get our organisations to change is if WE change them. And often the only way we can feel positive about our working environment is when we find 'work arounds' that work.

Like Bill's earlier work (The Simplicity Handbook), this book is clear, and well written, simple enough, but not too simple. However, actually doing it (hacking work) is by no means easy - they encourage you to be quite clear about what your values are and how you work to them and uphold them while still achieving the needful for your day to day work.

It is a book that is written for the American market so there aren't many European examples in the many case studies they present. But it will still work here. They have based the book on many interviews with people who are already 'hacking' work and these ought to be sufficient to give you ideas of what you can do in your situation.

Best of all, they connect with their readers via their Hacking Work website. What I like best about the book is that they help us to see how to get our power back, where it belongs, and take responsibility for using it wisely.

Recover Your Balance: How To Bounce Back From Bad Times at Work
Recover Your Balance: How To Bounce Back From Bad Times at Work
by Ann Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical book on resilience, 7 Sept. 2010
Ann Lewis' book, Recover your Balance is a great, practical book on how to get over a distressing work experience. If you've experienced bullying or are feeling off balance because of a situation at work, this is the book to help you figure out what to do and how to move forward, not stay blocked and stuck. Ann has researched well and has many case studies (from both men and women) to help you see what has worked for others. It is a pragmatic book with exercises, examples and ideas. It helps you to get focus and regain control. I can highly recommend it.

The Economist Guide to Organisation Design: Creating high performance and adaptable enterprises
by Naomi Stanford

5.0 out of 5 stars guide to organisation design, 1 Aug. 2007
This book talks about organisation design, but it is actually about far more than that. As one would expect, organisation design impacts other areas than just the structure of an organisation and Naomi covers all the bases. This isn't just a must-have book for OD specialists, but I would suggest that any manager who is thinking about a re-organisation would do well to read this carefully.

It starts by talking about just what organisation design is, why it is important and how it links into the business. The most important of which - it seems to me - is that there must be a compelling reason or business case for undertaking a re-organisation. The design must then be driven by the strategy of the business bearing the whole system in mind, not just focusing on a part of it.

Next she focuses on different models, approaches and designs with some excellent tables listing designs in use, their benefits and their limitations. I particularly liked a list of questions you could use to help you choose a model, approach and/or design.

The book has practical information, but also nice case studies of when a particular approach or model had been used in well known organisations and a warts-and-all story telling you what actually happened.