Profile for G. Fitzmaurice > Reviews

Annoying: The Science of What Bugs Us
by Joe Palca
Price: 15.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoying, 28 April 2011
This book purports to be about the science of what annoys us. I was surprised therefore to see there is no mention of medical terminology in relation to annoying sounds, such as "decreased sound tolerance", "misophonia" or even "tinnitus". I find that annoying.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2011 7:27 PM BST

Easy Touch Joy-Steering Wheel
Easy Touch Joy-Steering Wheel

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money (just don't rely on the instructions), 17 Jun 2010
I couldn't disagree more with the last reviewer. Given what you pay for it, I think this steering wheel is extremely good value. True, the instructions have been appalingly badly translated into English and manage not to mention some of the controls on the unit (such as the firing buttons underneath the steering wheel, and the levers to fasten the steering wheel at the desired angle and height), but the unit itself has been well-engineered in my view. The construction is slightly plasticky but consider what you are paying for it. For me, the brake and accelerator pedals work perfectly well. The handbrake and gear lever I do not use but are perfectly serviceable. The instructions aren't particularly important anyway as all you do is install the driver, insert the USB and away you go. I bought this steering wheel to use with practical driving test software (Driving Test Success Practical by Focus Multimedia) and it works perfectly. The instructions say compatible up to XP, but the driver software disc that comes with it says Vista-compatible too. I use Windows 7 and have had no problems. Given that the next alternative appears to be about three times the price, for me this unit was great value for money.

Medical Law and Ethics
Medical Law and Ethics
by Jonathan Herring

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 22 Feb 2010
This review is from: Medical Law and Ethics (Paperback)
I concur with the other reviewers that this book is very well written. The section on medical confidentiality is a model of clarity, and would be useful to practitioners and students alike [I say that as a barrister, albeit trained in another area, who was once a student!]. Herring lucidly explains the legal basis for confidentiality, before going on to examine the oustanding legal and ethical issues. Highly recommended.

A Zeptospace Odyssey: A Journey into the Physics of the LHC
A Zeptospace Odyssey: A Journey into the Physics of the LHC
by Gian Francesco Giudice
Price: 27.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 8 Feb 2010
I find that books about particle physics tend to fall into one of two categories. Either they are a) full of maths and/or impenetrable to the lay reader or b) comprehensbile to a lay reader but less than exciting with rote descriptions of subatomic particles. This book manages to be both well within the grasp of a non-expert and also very entertaining. The author has a practitioner's understanding of his subject which is matched by a very entertaining delivery. Rightly or wrongly, I get the feeling I will have a better intuitive understanding of particle physics after reading this book than after reading no end of others. In short, highly recommended. Don't be put off by the cover. When I first picked it up, I thought it was yet another dense OUP monograph. Nothing could be further from the truth.