Profile for Black_Rod > Reviews

Itch
by Simon Mayo
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Itch (Paperback)
A review from my daughter.

"I think that this book is a very good read. It really was enjoyable and I could imagine the flash-backs in my head. I would recommend it to anyone who is over 10; it has 417 pages and is really thick. It also contains some sad events but that is just part of the drama. If you like science or are just looking for a book to read, pick this one.

The cover and first chapter didn't immediately persuade me but the writing sucked me in, it is a page turner!!!"

She has asked for the next book in the series (of two), 'nuff said.

Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam
Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam
Offered by UK.Shoes Retail
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, effective and no smell of fish, 28 Feb 2014
It is easy and quick to apply and works on all sorts of leather boots and shoes.

I used to use Mars Oil on all my boots, this seems just as good but without that distinctive aroma.

I'm a fan, and my family are pleased too.

Giro Nine.10 Snowboard Helmet - Matt Black
Giro Nine.10 Snowboard Helmet - Matt Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable, very warm., 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Giro Nine.10 - (Sports)
Only my second season of wearing a helmet for skiing. After borrowing helmets I decided to take the plunge and buy my own.

I seem to have quite a "long" head and know from experience that not all helmets comfortably fit all shapes of head.

This helmet fits my head shape, holds my goggles securely and after a couple of minutes I forget that I am wearing it.

The vent system does not use a single switch like other helmets, but relies on setting the individual vents before putting the helmet on. Sounds complicated but does means that the venting can be fine tuned to meet specific requirements.

Very pleased.

Casio Casio Collection LTP-1308L-1AVEF Ladies Watch
Casio Casio Collection LTP-1308L-1AVEF Ladies Watch
Offered by Ciaowatch
Price: 24.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, but perfectly formed., 31 Dec 2013
Smaller than anticipated but the recipient of this gift was very pleased all the same.

The item arrived well packed but there box for the watch is a functional Casio cardboard affair rather than a lavish jewellery style presentation case.

Samsung E1230 SIM Free Mobile Phone
Samsung E1230 SIM Free Mobile Phone
Offered by gsm4u
Price: 22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic but reliable., 5 Oct 2013
Bought this for my child to take to secondary school, it was one three approved models on the list.

The phone is very basic, and so light it seems as though there are no electronics inside. However the battery life is incredible (particularly when compared to the average smart phone) and it has stood up well to 4 weeks of the normal wear and tear at school.

AmazonBasics USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable for iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPod nano 7 and iPod 5 3 Feet / 0.9 m - Apple certified
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, reliable and no iOS warnings., 27 Sep 2013
Having gone through four unofficial lighting cables for my iPhone 5 (each lasting no more than a couple of weeks of 'normal' use) I took the plunge and bought the AmazonBasics version.

2 months in it continues to works perfectly, with no signs of wear or unreliability.

Fisual S-Flex Mini 0.3m 3.5mm Jack to Jack Cable
Fisual S-Flex Mini 0.3m 3.5mm Jack to Jack Cable
Offered by AudioVisual Online
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, sturdy, yet flexible, 27 Sep 2013
Unusually, I needed a very short audio patch lead to connect my iPhone to my in-car DAB radio which are located next to each other on windscreen mounts.

This lead is perfect, and feels like it will last a while.

Descant Recorder Mop
Descant Recorder Mop
Offered by Musikshop Speyer
Price: 2.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential equipment - so by 9 year old says., 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Descant Recorder Mop
Bought this for my 9 year old daughter who is a keen recorder player.

She has told me to give this 5 stars as it is perfect for keeping her Yamaha recorder clean.

Arrived very promptly too.

Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Macbook Air, Chromebook, Windows, Wii, Wii U, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88772 chipset)
Offered by Plugable Technologies
Price: 14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works for Wii streaming., 24 Sep 2013
Was having problems with streaming films from some services on my elderly Wii using the wireless connection, despite the Wii being sited within a metre of the Broadband unit (too close perhaps).

Buying this dongle was the last roll of the dice for the Wii as a viable streaming device, my other bits of tech were able to stream from the same services over the same wireless connection without any re-buffering issues.

What a revelation, once the dongle was plugged in, the wired connection selected from Wii menu and the dongle link light illuminated, my streaming problems were over, everything works the way that it always should have and films just play without endless re-buffering interruptions, marvellous.

Gerber Recon Task Light Torch
Gerber Recon Task Light Torch
Price: 24.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but functional, 13 May 2013
Bit of a problem opening the blister pack that it arrives in.

A small torch that works as described, the white light being particularly bright.

Very pleased.