Profile for PeeBee > Reviews

Content by PeeBee

PeeBee (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
ESET Smart Security V5 1 User 1 Year (PC)
ESET Smart Security V5 1 User 1 Year (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars ESET Smart Security V5 1 User 1 Year (PC), 6 May 2013
I have to accept that this product is doing its job well, but it's the only security software running on my PC, so I've got nothing to compare it against on a daily basis. However, before starting with ESET, I used the free version of AVG, and ESET found no previously un-sensed viruses etc on first using it after replacing AVG. If anything therefore, my use of ESET has boosted my opinion of free AVG.

Seagate STBV2000200 2 TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Seagate STBV2000200 2 TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Seagate STBV2000200 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive., 6 May 2013
On my (old) PC, it seems a bit slow. However, it's a decent, solid performer. Happy to recommend it, and will consider Seagate for the next HD I buy.

Neewer RT-16 433Hz 16 Channel Wireless Studio Flash Trigger Set(Transmitter + Receiver) for 3.5mm / 6.35mm Plug Studio Strobe Monolight Flash Sync
Offered by Neewer Global

4.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Studio Flash Trigger with One 16-Channel Receiver, 6 May 2013
Does the job, and is a more sensible price than many others. Works for both studio and speedlite-type flash. More than good enough for use by non-pro photographers.

Mains Charger for Allwinner Capacitive Tablets - 3 PIN UK - CE Certified
Mains Charger for Allwinner Capacitive Tablets - 3 PIN UK - CE Certified

3.0 out of 5 stars Mains charger for Allwinner Capacitive Tablets - 3 PIN UK - CE Certified, 11 Feb. 2013
Seller's description said that this was better quality than original, but there's nothing visible about it to prove that. Therefore, expensive in my opinion.

It was confusing that on the Amazon product description, purchasers were told not to buy this item if original had a yellow tip on the connector that goes into the tablet. However, the one I purchased came with a yellow tip. I don't know what the significance is of a yellow tip, as opposed to a black one, but the charger does seem to work OK.

A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
by James Bowen

4.0 out of 5 stars A Street Cat Named Bob, 11 Feb. 2013
Very easy to read. Not a rivetting book, but it was the cat that gave it some interest of course.

Interesting to understand why James Bowen was homeless, and it would have been better to have been told more of the actual day-to-day 'life' of people in that situation. However, as this book is really more about the inspirational 'hand up' side of the homeless story, that is to be expected perhaps.

Book became more interesting once James Bowen became a 'Big Issue' seller.

Overall then, an inspirational story around an interesting subject, but dealt with a bit too superficially.

STAR ONE B92 - 4.7 inch Super clear HD (1280*720) 720P grade display capacitive touchscreen SmartPhone Android 4.0 ice cream sandwich MTK6577 1GHz Dual Core with 1GB RAM Dual SIM WIFI 12MP camera (up to 4000 x 3000 pixels)

4.0 out of 5 stars STAR ONE B92 - 4.7 inch Super clear HD (1280*720) 720P grade display, 7 Jan. 2013
Price of this phone was attractive compared with the ridiculous prices of famous-branded versions. It was delivered (no customs costs) in 10 days. It is well-made, and looks classy.

With those things I've used on it, phone is excellent except for GPS problems. Like with other purchasers, it has been difficult to get acceptable GPS performance, although mine (after following suggestions on technical forums) now does the job. (NB: I have not rooted my phone, nor installed a new ROM. Therefore, the things I've done to get acceptable GPS performance can be done by those people with negligible smartphone experience, like myself).

With the camera, to get good results, it's important to ensure phone is held rock-steady, and, that lens is focussed where you want it. In that respect, the supplied camera app is poor. This is because you have to touch the screen both to focus, and, to take the image. These 2 things, together with the rounded contours of the phone, make it difficult to hold the phone steady. I'm now looking for a replacement camera app that can use the volume or home button to actually take the pic. NB: this is a problem with the Android stock camera app, not the phone itself.

Overall, considering the price advantage of this phone over its famous-brand competitors, it's a great purchase. When the time comes to buy my next smartphone, I will definitely be looking at a so-called 'unbranded' one before any other.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2013 10:24 AM GMT

Phoenix Street People, Summer 2012
Phoenix Street People, Summer 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of 'Phoenix Street People, Summer 2012', 29 Dec. 2012
Because this was a free download, I suppose I should give it 5 stars. However, I've decided to review it as if I'd paid a small fee to get it.

Firstly, it's good that someone has chosen to feature this subject, because many people would dismiss the topic as being of no interest or value. Also, it's good that the author has been brave enough to do so, as it could have been a risky operation at times I suspect. As a result, there are a number of decent images that have been created. There are far more though, that are less appealing, including many which are very, very similar to each other.

The best things for me about the book are the few narratives that accompany the images, briefly telling the stories behind the situations of the subjects. I really wish there had been more in the book.

Overall then, fewer pics, but more background histories of the subjects would have been better. Even so, well worth looking at.

The Story of India with Michael Wood: Complete BBC Series [DVD]
The Story of India with Michael Wood: Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Wood

4.0 out of 5 stars The Story of India with Michael Wood: Complete BBC Series [DVD], 3 Dec. 2012
I'm fascinated by India, so almost anything about that country will appeal. However, I've never really understood the background to it's current status, so was especially pleased to find out about this set.

Because I don't know the fuller history of the country, I can't say whether this set tells the complete story. Even so, it deals with major blocks of the timeline at a level which is at least right for someone making initial discoveries. For anyone who already knows something about India's past, this set may be too superficial.

Even for me however, I found that transitions from one period to another were not always explained clearly enough to follow well. Also missing in my mind were local maps showing the location of the places Michael Wood was in / talking about: without those, the contexts of the storylines were less clear than they should have been. This was partly exacerbated by my being unable to clearly hear the names of the places MW was dealing with: he seemed to enjoy pronouncing placenames with more of an Indian accent than a British one.

Even allowing for my reservations above, I really liked this set. It's at a sensible level for me, it certainly features major era's of India's past (if not all), it evokes wonderful memories of personal visits there, and the photography is pretty good! If it was £20+, I would have been very cagey about my rating. For £7, it's a steal.

LINDY AV Adapter Cable - Stereo & Composite Video
LINDY AV Adapter Cable - Stereo & Composite Video

1.0 out of 5 stars UNABLE TO RATE Lindy 'female AV to 3.5mm jack plug' adapter, 27 Oct. 2012
The product did not do the job it was bought for, which was to connect a Nintendo Wii to a Sandstrom TV. However, I cannot blame the Lindy product because I suspect the problem may lie with the TV. This is because I think that the connections within the TV's jack socket are non-standard. Ie: Sandstrom have deliberately used non-standard connections in order to restrict customers to buying an expensive Sandstrom 'female AV to 3.5mm jack plug' adapter, rather than a generic one.

However, Sandstrom has failed in their aim in my case, as I have now discovered that the Wii AV cable can be successfully connected to the TV via a 'female AV to Scart' adapter.

So, do not think that I've given the Lindy item just 1 star: it is simply because Amazon demands that I give the product some level of rating, and 1 is as meaningful as 5 in this case.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2013 12:13 PM BST

The Healing Shard
The Healing Shard

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed, 22 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Healing Shard (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and the authors writing style is excellent, The story kept me wanting to know more and I am eagerly awaiting the sequel.This is an excellent book for young and old alike.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5