Profile for PeeBee > Reviews

PeeBee (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Mains Charger for Allwinner Capacitive Tablets - 3 PIN UK - CE Certified
Mains Charger for Allwinner Capacitive Tablets - 3 PIN UK - CE Certified

3.0 out of 5 stars Mains charger for Allwinner Capacitive Tablets - 3 PIN UK - CE Certified, 11 Feb. 2013
Seller's description said that this was better quality than original, but there's nothing visible about it to prove that. Therefore, expensive in my opinion.

It was confusing that on the Amazon product description, purchasers were told not to buy this item if original had a yellow tip on the connector that goes into the tablet. However, the one I purchased came with a yellow tip. I don't know what the significance is of a yellow tip, as opposed to a black one, but the charger does seem to work OK.

A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
by James Bowen

4.0 out of 5 stars A Street Cat Named Bob, 11 Feb. 2013
Very easy to read. Not a rivetting book, but it was the cat that gave it some interest of course.

Interesting to understand why James Bowen was homeless, and it would have been better to have been told more of the actual day-to-day 'life' of people in that situation. However, as this book is really more about the inspirational 'hand up' side of the homeless story, that is to be expected perhaps.

Book became more interesting once James Bowen became a 'Big Issue' seller.

Overall then, an inspirational story around an interesting subject, but dealt with a bit too superficially.

STAR ONE B92 - 4.7 inch Super clear HD (1280*720) 720P grade display capacitive touchscreen SmartPhone Android 4.0 ice cream sandwich MTK6577 1GHz Dual Core with 1GB RAM Dual SIM WIFI 12MP camera (up to 4000 x 3000 pixels)

4.0 out of 5 stars STAR ONE B92 - 4.7 inch Super clear HD (1280*720) 720P grade display, 7 Jan. 2013
Price of this phone was attractive compared with the ridiculous prices of famous-branded versions. It was delivered (no customs costs) in 10 days. It is well-made, and looks classy.

With those things I've used on it, phone is excellent except for GPS problems. Like with other purchasers, it has been difficult to get acceptable GPS performance, although mine (after following suggestions on technical forums) now does the job. (NB: I have not rooted my phone, nor installed a new ROM. Therefore, the things I've done to get acceptable GPS performance can be done by those people with negligible smartphone experience, like myself).

With the camera, to get good results, it's important to ensure phone is held rock-steady, and, that lens is focussed where you want it. In that respect, the supplied camera app is poor. This is because you have to touch the screen both to focus, and, to take the image. These 2 things, together with the rounded contours of the phone, make it difficult to hold the phone steady. I'm now looking for a replacement camera app that can use the volume or home button to actually take the pic. NB: this is a problem with the Android stock camera app, not the phone itself.

Overall, considering the price advantage of this phone over its famous-brand competitors, it's a great purchase. When the time comes to buy my next smartphone, I will definitely be looking at a so-called 'unbranded' one before any other.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2013 10:24 AM GMT

Phoenix Street People, Summer 2012
Phoenix Street People, Summer 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of 'Phoenix Street People, Summer 2012', 29 Dec. 2012
Because this was a free download, I suppose I should give it 5 stars. However, I've decided to review it as if I'd paid a small fee to get it.

Firstly, it's good that someone has chosen to feature this subject, because many people would dismiss the topic as being of no interest or value. Also, it's good that the author has been brave enough to do so, as it could have been a risky operation at times I suspect. As a result, there are a number of decent images that have been created. There are far more though, that are less appealing, including many which are very, very similar to each other.

The best things for me about the book are the few narratives that accompany the images, briefly telling the stories behind the situations of the subjects. I really wish there had been more in the book.

Overall then, fewer pics, but more background histories of the subjects would have been better. Even so, well worth looking at.

The Story of India with Michael Wood: Complete BBC Series [DVD]
The Story of India with Michael Wood: Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Wood

4.0 out of 5 stars The Story of India with Michael Wood: Complete BBC Series [DVD], 3 Dec. 2012
I'm fascinated by India, so almost anything about that country will appeal. However, I've never really understood the background to it's current status, so was especially pleased to find out about this set.

Because I don't know the fuller history of the country, I can't say whether this set tells the complete story. Even so, it deals with major blocks of the timeline at a level which is at least right for someone making initial discoveries. For anyone who already knows something about India's past, this set may be too superficial.

Even for me however, I found that transitions from one period to another were not always explained clearly enough to follow well. Also missing in my mind were local maps showing the location of the places Michael Wood was in / talking about: without those, the contexts of the storylines were less clear than they should have been. This was partly exacerbated by my being unable to clearly hear the names of the places MW was dealing with: he seemed to enjoy pronouncing placenames with more of an Indian accent than a British one.

Even allowing for my reservations above, I really liked this set. It's at a sensible level for me, it certainly features major era's of India's past (if not all), it evokes wonderful memories of personal visits there, and the photography is pretty good! If it was £20+, I would have been very cagey about my rating. For £7, it's a steal.

Lindy 35539 - AV Adapter Cable - Stereo & Composite Video
Lindy 35539 - AV Adapter Cable - Stereo & Composite Video

1.0 out of 5 stars UNABLE TO RATE Lindy 'female AV to 3.5mm jack plug' adapter, 27 Oct. 2012
The product did not do the job it was bought for, which was to connect a Nintendo Wii to a Sandstrom TV. However, I cannot blame the Lindy product because I suspect the problem may lie with the TV. This is because I think that the connections within the TV's jack socket are non-standard. Ie: Sandstrom have deliberately used non-standard connections in order to restrict customers to buying an expensive Sandstrom 'female AV to 3.5mm jack plug' adapter, rather than a generic one.

However, Sandstrom has failed in their aim in my case, as I have now discovered that the Wii AV cable can be successfully connected to the TV via a 'female AV to Scart' adapter.

So, do not think that I've given the Lindy item just 1 star: it is simply because Amazon demands that I give the product some level of rating, and 1 is as meaningful as 5 in this case.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2013 12:13 PM BST

The Healing Shard
The Healing Shard

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed, 22 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Healing Shard (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and the authors writing style is excellent, The story kept me wanting to know more and I am eagerly awaiting the sequel.This is an excellent book for young and old alike.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Neewer battery grip for Canon EOS 350D / 400D, 17 Jun. 2012
Excellent product, and a buy that I'm very happy with, but I have to add 'so far' in both cases, as I have a few reservations. Unfortunately, I've not seen the Canon equivalent, so I don't know if I would have similar feelings about that. However, the Neewer comes with just a 3-month guarantee, so that may be significant in this respect.

I'll mention the reservations later, but first the good news. The battery pack has great functionality, and all buttons / dials etc work as expected. Not only that, but in a way that I can't explain, using it has made my 400D look & feel more like a camera. It has also done exactly what I bought it for, which is to make it easy to take shots in portrait mode. Beforehand, when leaning against the RH side of a doorway for instance, I couldn't easily reach the shutter release, which meant that I suffered camera shake too often. Now, it's no problem.

The reservations are:
1. The main dial doesn't feel too refined.
2. The on-off switch is imprecise: it easily moves from one side to the other.
3. The battery compartment has to be pulled from the battery pack by a locking dial. However, this dial seems very fragile, and I am concerned that it will break easily.

I must make it clear that so far, the battery pack has been great, and does exactly what I wanted for a peanuts price compared with the Canon equivalent. I just feel though, that I may be saying something different in a few months time.

M009S 8GB NATPC M009S 8GB Capacitive Android 4.2 (JELLY BEAN) , 7" ,Dual Core (2 x 1.5 GHz) Super Slim Android Tablet PC with Responsive Capacitive Screen - Flash Player 11.1 - Compatible with BBC iPlayer / Youtube / Facebook - HD 2160P - now with 8GB Storage and SKYPE VIDEO calling

5.0 out of 5 stars NATPC M009S 7" Android 4.0 tablet, 17 Jun. 2012
Brilliant. Best £110 I've spent in ages.

Can't complain about this product in any way. Does everything I wanted & expected, and more. (Using it for browsing, email, games, etc, etc).

Update on 11 Nov 2012.
Had this tablet for 6 months now, and it's STILL brilliant.

New 7" Inch Black Leather Look Case + USB Keyboard (including Micro USB adapter) With Free Stylus & Stand Feature For Protection Of Your 7" Tablet PC ePad aPad Device

4.0 out of 5 stars 7" black leather-look case + keyboard for 7" tablet, 17 Jun. 2012
A very good quality product at a sensible price. The connecting cable came with my NATPC M009S tablet, and they work very well together.

There have been 2 niggles with this combination:
1. The cable provided with the NATPC M009S isn't very flexible, so it's not possible to leave the tablet connected to the keyboard without that cable sticking out from the side of the case: therefore, the connection has to be broken when the tablet is not being used.
2. The top clip that holds the tablet in the case could do with being a bit bigger, as the tablet doesn't seem to be too tightly held by it.

Overall though, a good purchase that I'm pleased with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2012 3:28 PM BST