ARRAY(0xafd9b84c)

Profile for Kats > Reviews

Content by Kats

Kats (Essex, UK)

MY CROOKED LITTLE SISTER (a dark thriller)
MY CROOKED LITTLE SISTER (a dark thriller)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, beautiful writing and a gripping, twisted thriller, 3 Feb 2014
This book engages the reader from the start: 'Margarita' has no memory and a gunshot wound. We are then drawn into the atmosphere of her surroundings, we feel we are there. Sophie Jonas-Hill has a beautiful, evocative writing style that engages all the senses. At times her writing is breathtaking: 'The house moaned and cracked as it cooled, twisting against the wet earth as if it were caught in a bear trap.' is a good example. At other times it raises a smile: 'There I was, smothered in dust, debris and redneck aristocracy.' But there's much more to this novel than wonderful prose: it's also heaving with unpredictable plot twists that make it impossible to put down. A stunning debut novel.

NeilMed SinusRinse Saline Nasal Rinse 120 Sachets
NeilMed SinusRinse Saline Nasal Rinse 120 Sachets
Price: 13.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone with sinusitis should try this, 15 April 2013
I've had sinusitis on and off for most of my life and have been to the doctors more times than I care to remember. I'd resigned myself to a lifetime of every cold resulting in miserable sinus pain and blocked noses until I discovered this product. I'm cynical of 'this product changed my life' claims, but in this case it did. The daily nasal rinse is easy to do and not uncomfortable. I've been using it for two years now and rarely get a bad attack of sinusitis. The only downside is that sometimes when I bend over to tie my laces, a stream of water comes out of my nose!

Ladies Dunlop Purple Faux Suede Ankle Boot Bootee Slipper Womens Slippers UK 3/4
Offered by Top-Designer-Clothing
Price: 13.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor sizing and falling apart after a month, 24 Mar 2013
After seeing other reviews of this product, I ordered the medium size (I'm size three and a half). But the slippers were distinctly snug - more size 2-3 than 3-4. Because it seemed too much hassle to return them I kept them, hoping they'd stretch with wear, but after only a month one slipper had a three inch split where the sole was coming away. It's a shame, because they're great-looking slippers, but I wouldn't advise anyone to buy them.

LAICA 6 PACK UNIVERSAL CLASSIC CARTRIDGE - FITS MOST JUGS THAT USE THE CLASSIC CARTRIDGE: BRITA, (NOT BRITA MAXTRA), KENWOOD, BOOTS
Offered by Vyair (UK) Limited
Price: 14.39

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap for a reason, 12 Aug 2011
Having read mixed reviews on these cartridges I was undecided whether to buy them but in the end couldn't resist the price. As soon as I used one, the reason they are so cheap became obvious. The water flowed through them at twice the usual speed. The filtered water tastes fine, but I can't believe the filters are doing as effective a job as their Brita equivalents.

Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981]
Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ John Gordon Sinclair
Offered by rightpricediscs
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect evocation of summer and youth, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: Gregory's Girl [DVD] [1981] (DVD)
This is my favourite film of all time, and while it has obvious appeal to those who were teenagers in the early eighties (remember picture skirts, anyone?) it has so much humour and charm it would appeal to anyone. The film starts with Gregory and his mates sharing a pair of binoculars to spy on a nurse undressing. After practically hyperventilating, they go home, satisfied. Two younger boys cooly pass by and comment 'all that fuss over a bit of tit.' The other says, 'oh look, the knickers.' From then on its a riot of memorable quotes and scenes.

Gregory, the hopeless gangly adolescent lead is instantly loveable, and it seems obvious to everyone that his crush on the glamorous football-playing Dorothy is doomed. But there's far more to Gregory's Girl than the central story. There's the person in the penguin suit who keeps getting misdirected around the school. There's Gregory's friends: the one with the talent for cookery of dubious sexuality who has a thriving business in cakes in the boys' toilets, the geeky photographer who has an even more thriving business selling photos of Dorothy. There's Gregory's younger sister, far more knowing and wise than him, who gives him fashion advice. Chic Murray gives a brilliant performance as the headmaster. And the final scene in the country park has to be the most feelgood evocation of summer and youth ever filmed.

I fell in love with this film when I was sixteen and over the years it's lost none of its charm

Mouthing The Words
Mouthing The Words
by Camilla Gibb
Price: 7.22

3.0 out of 5 stars an uncomfortable but worthwhile read, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: Mouthing The Words (Paperback)
This is a disturbing but compelling novel which instantly draws you into Thelma's uncomfortable world of imaginary friends and abuse. Thelma's subsequent descent into mental illness is brilliantly described, with a lightness of touch that makes its difficult subject matter more palatable. Thelma is an utterly believable character and avoids falling into the trap of self-pity. And yet I found it hard to warm to her. A well-written book that is worth reading, but not one to fall in love with.

HUE HD (white) USB camera for Windows and Mac
HUE HD (white) USB camera for Windows and Mac
Offered by premier-express
Price: 49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't be easier, 22 April 2010
Neat, unobtrusive, camera that works brilliantly for Skype. Ease of use is fantastic-just plug it in to the USB port and you're up and running.

Agony - The Complete Series [DVD] [1979]
Agony - The Complete Series [DVD] [1979]
Dvd ~ Jan Holden
Price: 12.21

2.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as good as I remember, 20 April 2010
When I first watched this series in my teens I LOVED it. It seemed ground-breaking, particularly in its portrayal of gay men as ordinary guys rather that Mr Humphreys-style caricatures. I was eager to watch again but what a disappointment! It is very dated and nowhere near as funny as I remember: very little made me laugh. The gay characters now seem camp and cliched (a Village People picture adorns their wall!). Peter Blake is still entertaining and series 2 is worth watching just to see a young Bill Nighy, but prepare for it to be not as good as you may remember.

What's it All About?: Philosophy and the Meaning of Life
What's it All About?: Philosophy and the Meaning of Life
by Julian Baggini
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible introduction to philosophy, 20 April 2010
Intelligent writing with a light-hearted, entertaining approach. Each chapter discusses a so-called answer to the meaning of life e.g. religion, helping others, achievements, happiness, with a wealth of further reading for anyone who wants to explore an issue further. Perfect for anyone who's ever fancied reading about philosophy but feared it would be too heavy-going.

Magus of Stonewylde: Book 1 (Stonewylde Series)
Magus of Stonewylde: Book 1 (Stonewylde Series)
by Kit Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 2 Oct 2007
I haven't much to say that hasn't been said already. This book is outstanding! The characters of Sylvie, Magus and (in particular) Yul are brilliantly portrayed. You will not be able to put this book down. Buy book 2, Moondance, as well and join the rest of the fans in becoming very impatient for book 3!