Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Sony VAIO SVP1321M2E 13.3-inch Ultrabook (Black) - (Intel Core i5 1.6GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB Solid State Drive, Intel HD Graphics 4400, HD Touchscreen, Windows 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars So close to being great, 16 Oct. 2013
So over a month's use here my honest opinion of the laptop, some of it will be relevant only to me but some will be relevant to everyone and a bit of advice to anyone who is thinking about getting one.

What Sony have built here is an ultrabook that is so close to being great but for a number of irritating things.

I have been a fan of Sony for a long time and I always wanted to own the top of the range Sony laptop. I finally splashed out on the Vaio Pro 13 because I heard good things and after a month's use this is what I found and I hope this will help anyone who is thinking about getting one.

The Good:

- This thing just oozes style. Far from the generic MacBook Air clone this thing looks amazing. Of course this is a matter of personal taste.
- The carbon fibre body is nice but it bothers a lot of people because it feels less sturdy and that is definitely true but to be honest it just didn't bother me one bit. However, I do think it causes other problems. Read on.
- Touch screen. You might think this is a bit gimmicky but I actually find myself using it a lot more than I thought I would especially using Google Maps.
- Hardware is as good as any.

The Bad:
- Touch pad. This is BAD. A big problem that the touchpad has is that it makes a clicking noise (not when you are clicking) but when you simply lift your finger away from it and this is VERY annoying. When you are using the touchpad rapidly it is just a stream of hollow clicks and I think this is down to the carbon fibre.
- Noise. This has always been a problem for Sony laptops but the fan noise is ridiculous especially having used the Samsung series 9 which is completely silent. If you leave it in the "Standard" or "Performance" mode you will be embarrassed by the noise because it is so loud. And here is my advice for anyone thinking about buying one. There is no point getting the i7 model because you will be using the ultrabook only in silent mode and that caps your CPU. You will just be paying for something you never use.
- Price. This thing is expensive and for me possibly a bit too expensive for its faults but I am a sucker for Sony and a good looking laptop.

I hope this is helpful but let me know if you have any questions.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2014 5:00 PM BST

Samsung 900X3D 13.3-inch Laptop (Silver) - (Intel Core i5 2537M 1.4GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value amazing ultrabook (solution to wifi problem), 15 May 2013
For those who are not sure about the various models, here are the main differences:

NP900X3B - Older generation CPU, Fast Solid State Drive, Expensive
NP900X3C - Newer generation CPU, Slow Solid State Drive, Expensive
NP900X3D - Older generation CPU, Slow Solid State Drive, More attractive pricing

So I have been using this laptop for several weeks and I absolutely love it - apart from the WiFi which I will come to later, despite the downgraded hardware the machine is actually pretty fast. Boot up takes about 2 seconds. I don't do anything graphics intensive on the machine but the laptop handles HD videos with no problem. Battery life is a godsend and if you only browse the internet and use Microsoft Office you will get around 5 hours from it.

For me, this is the first truly portable laptop and I love it. My recommendation is that if money is not an issue then get the NP900X3C otherwise you will be happy to have saved an few hundred pounds.

WiFi Issue and Solution
-----------------------
So this is a problem that I have been having with the WiFi taking a long time to reconnect and constantly dropping to "limited" connection. Updating the driver does not fix the problem. The solution that I finally found is to:

1. Update to the latest driver
2. Go to Device Manager, Expand Network Adapters
3. Right click on "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235, select Properties
4. Select Advanced tab, go to Preferred Band in the list of options and change value to "Prefer 2.4GHz band".
This should fix the problem. It seems to be a problem with some routers and the technology used in this wireless adapter.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2013 12:02 AM BST