Profile for texasguy1983 > Reviews

Red Book
Red Book
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprise but a good surprise it is!, 24 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Red Book (Audio CD)
I have to say when it comes to Texas, I always thought that they lived off the success of one album (White on Blonde). Their releases after this were attempts to recapture that success but never really managed to do so. However after listening to the new album Redbook at a christmas party I was very surprised to hear tracks that stand next to their best on White on Blonde.
Getaway has the Texas formula stamped all over it. However it is tracks such as Sleep, Can't resist, What about us and Cry that really keep your attention. Sleep a duet with Paul Buchanan from the Blue Nile is a warm uplifting song which has the most infectious melody. Can't resist is a more pop/electronic track that surprisingly works well on the album, What about us is almost Human League/Petshop boys sounding but it is a great ballad and sang very well by Miss Spiteri. Lastly Cry is a catchy guitar track that be a good choice for a future single if they want to show the full potential of this album.
I only bought this album after hearing it by chance. It is likely that it's full potential will never be discovered and as a result will disappear into oblivion. So if you have some spare cash and your looking for something different, I would take a chance on Redbook.

I am the Cheese (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
I am the Cheese (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
by Robert Cormier

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will change your life., 25 Sept. 2003
This book is without a doubt one of the most amazing books I have read - a compulsive read. It follows the journey of Adam Farmer as he travels on his bike alone to see his father, Adam Farmer as he speaks with his psychiatrist and Adam Farmer living what seems to be a normal life in Monument. Cormier takes each of these settings and potrays them in such a manner that Adam Farmer becomes one of the most addictive characters of 20th century writing. You will never be able to put this book down until It's finished and when you do you will never be able to forget Adam Farmer or what is left of Adam Farmer.

Long Gone Before Daylight
Long Gone Before Daylight
Offered by YouWantIt-WeGotIt

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this album, 18 May 2003
Personally I hadn't heard much of the cardigans before this album, I don't know much about them as a band but gosh this is a good album and one which i came across by mistake after watching VH1. I managed to listen to a few songs before i bought the album and i was very impressed, so i bought it and I have played it constantly.
I don't know how to describe the genre of music, i think someone in a previous review called it "chilled country" and i would say for most of the songs that is pretty accurate but when I say country I don't mean Dolly Parton.
This album is very simple and basic, it doesn't have the "electronic sound" which many modern artists use, but it works very well. It is also lyrically very well written, all the songs or the majority of them are very meaningful.
The album has 13 tracks and I can honestly say that they are all "listenable" however some tracks are better than others, the stand out tracks are Communication, Please sister, For what its worth, Live and Learn, Feathers and Down, No sleep, these are all exceptional.
If you are looking for an album, then i would recommend this.

Confide In Me
Confide In Me
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Has this album passed you by and is now lost in limbo?, 16 April 2003
This review is from: Confide In Me (Audio CD)
It seems to me that Kylie Minogue's "impossible princess" album later retitled "Kylie Minogue" seemed to pass everyone by without a blink of the eye. At the time Kylie was not the princess of pop she is today, however not even the relaunch of the deconstruction (her record label at the time) material on this album "Confide" in 2002 made an impact. Ironically though this is most probably Kylie's best offerings. This album is so far away from the likes of "Hand on your heart" and "I should be so lucky". I think it is a complete "pic n mix" of genres of music, including pop, rock, indie, dance and classic chill. the album has bad stigma attached to it but thankfully a great sound.
(1) put yourself in my place - A great song one of the best on the album, this is one of the more popish songs but with great lyrics, great sound and great video for the song (you should check it out). 10/10
(2)some kind of bliss - When the Manic street preachers asked to work with kylie while she was at PWL they were told to "get lost", however once Kylie left the pop factory of PWL the Manics asked her personally to work with them and the result was this song. The song has a typical Manics sound and an amazing one at that. Another top track 10/10.
(3) Surrender - this is a good song but the lyrics are a bit on the cheesey side, think kylie stole the lyrics before she left PWL.
8/10
(4)if I was your lover - mixture of indie and r.n.b feel, kylie shows her great voice on this track. 8/10
(5)Limbo - otherwise thought of as the destination of this album. great song, this is one of the dance tracks, I think it's one of kylies favs as she sang it on her favour tour. 9/10
(6)Did again - AMAZING need i say more 10/10, the video is a class act too.(note the videos arent on the cd)
(7)through the years - one of the poorer tracks, more chilled. 8/10
(8)Too far - another talented song, not sure how to describe it, kylie is almost rapping in it i suppose. 8/10
(9) Say Hey - this is a great song, more of a relaxed song but this is honestly very well done. 10/10
(10) Time will pass you by - great song very upbeat and dance, Kproduced by M people. 9/10
(11)cowboy style - very strong song, with a completely different sound, it has a very rocked up country feel, a fav with the fans. 9/10
(12)Falling - a good dance tune, with a very smooth sound. 9/10
(13)I don't need anyone - the second of the Manic colaborations and just as good as "some kind of bliss" 10/10
(14)Dreams - fantastic piece of work, a very oriental feel and an amazing ballad. 10/10
(15)jump - one of the poorer songs but ok 7/10
(16)Drunk -very good sound. 9/0
(17)confide in me - the album is titled from this track and rightly so. This song is a MASTERPIECE. It has one of the most famous intros of any song, you will probably know it the minute those violins and drums start. This song is undoubtly the best on the album, it is sheer brilliance packed into 5 minutes and 52 seconds. 10/10 and thats an insult.
this is a must have album, the thing to remember is this is nearly all kylies work, she was the talent behind the album, she wrote/ co wrote i think 11 out of the 17 tracks.

The Bends
The Bends

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Masterpiece - Have you descovered it yet?, 29 Mar. 2003
This review is from: The Bends (Audio CD)
Well what can I say that you haven't heard from the other reviews? If you are familiar with the amazon review system, you will notice that usually every artist will get negative reviews as well as positive ones. However if you look at this album the majority of the reviews are excellent feedback, all giving this album glittering reviews.
I am not sure when this album was released but I know it was a few years ago, The only disappointment I found with this album is not discovering it sooner. I first heard it a week ago and since then I have been hooked. This truely is a masterpiece (to use a cliche). Every song stands by itself and no songs sounds similar. My advice to you, if you haven't got this album, is buy buy buy. Don't worry that you might waste your money, this is the best buy you will make this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of fresh air, 6 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)
This has to be one of the best albums of 2002/2003. It is an amazing debut for the most talented Norah Jones. All the songs are very light and natural, I would describe it as a vocal album where the voice of Norah jones carries the songs instead of the instruments. All the songs are very similar in style and sound. If I had to compare this album to an existing one, I would have to say it is similar to thta of Dido's "No Angel". This is one of those albums you put on to relax, have a glass of wine, and chill with friends, It isn't an album you would listen to while you got ready for your Saturday night in town. However if I have failed to convince you of this albums magical qualities then maybe Norah's 8 grammy awards and 1 brit award will.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of fresh air, 6 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Audio CD)