Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Erin > Reviews

Content by Erin

Erin (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Philips AS141 Docking System for Android
Philips AS141 Docking System for Android

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the bedroom., 14 Feb. 2013
This is a great dock. It is my best gadget buy of the past year. It's smart and not too chunky; much better looking than the others in this range. I have it on my bedside table and use it for 2 - 3 hours a day. More if I can't sleep!! The brightness of the clock is not too much and is adjustable.
It docks my Samsung Galaxy Note without me having to take the case off. Connecting all my devices via bluetooth was a breeze. It instantly connected to my Cowon Z2, my phone, my Samsung 50 music player and even my Ipod touch and will play music from all of these devices. You can use third party music players from the Play Store. I use Gonemad Music Player, Poweramp and PlayerPro, all of which work fine via bluetooth.
Surprisingly I have found the the sound quality is better via bluetooth than when a device is connected via the mp3 port at the back. I know this shouldn't be the case but it is!
Overall, for a small unit, I find the SQ very good. I do not find it at all 'tinny' as one reviewer wrote. The bass is warm and the trebles clear. Don't expect it to match up to your 'proper' hifi but for a bedside speaker it's certainly adequate. The SQ deteriorates slightly at higher volumes. I wouldn't get this dock if you want it to play loudly in your living room for example.
I will also point out that if your original recordings are poor quality then you will get a poor quality sound from this as with any speaker unit. All my music is ripped as 320mbps mp3s or as flac files and I recommend you do this too. It is definitely worth the effort.
I haven't used the radio so can't comment on that.
I also haven't used the Philips apps. There is no need to do this. Just use whatever music player you have installed on your device.
I hope this helps.

Oh and I can also confirm that the radio DOES work when a phone is docked. You just need to press the 'Source' button to select the radio. (And obviously turn the bluetooth off on the phone.)

X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker with 3.5mm Jack Compatible with iPhone/iPad/iPod/Smartphones/Tablets/MP3 Player/Laptop - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 2 Feb. 2013
I love this speaker. I have two now. A red one and a purple one.
You really can't go wrong with these. The sound quality for such a little unit is astounding with good bass and separation. Obviously the quality depends on the quality of the original recording - you are never going to make a 128mbps mp3 file sound great but if your music is ripped as 320s or flac files then these speakers are just great. I use them with my laptop and with my Cowon Z2.
I am trying to resist getting one of each colour!!!

Philips iPhone 4 4S 3 iPad 2 3 iPod Speaker Dock Docking Station System Touch 4 Nano 6 with Bluetooth Laptop/TV/PC/Smartphone, iPhone 5/5S/6/6S/6 Plus
Offered by Megga Distribution

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good., 19 Jan. 2013
I bought this for my bedroom to go with my iPod Touch 4th Gen and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. The sound quality is much better than I expected from such small speakers and it fills the room easily even on moderate volume. The bass is a little muffled but, as I said, much better than expected. I have also discovered that it makes a vast difference if your cds are ripped as flac files rather than mp3s. An average 260mbps mp3 didn't sound too great (320 is ok) but a flac file sounded good. Better, crisper base - and while we're on the subject of base, this unit can produce a fair amount. It certainly doesn't sound tinny in any way.
I also want to use this with my Cowon Z2 and possibly my Samsung phone but I haven't yet got a cable to attach them. NOTE - this unit does not come with a cable to attach other devices. You will have to order one separately.

I have taken off 1 star because there is no OFF button. Which means that if you don't want your ipod battery to be constantly charging then you will need to take it off the dock. I don't like things to be permenantly on - electricity is well expensive!!

I am hoping that this dock will sound even better with my Cowon.

Update - this really doesn't work well with other pmps. I got the required cable and it plugged in my Cowon but the volume is seriously reduced. You have to turn everything up full to get any noise at all. This is the same with my Samsung phone and a Samsung Galaxy G50 player that I have. Also when not playing it produces a loud electrical buzzing which means you could never fall asleep whilst listening to it. I am a bit disappointed about this but having said all that I am enjoying using it with my ipod touch for which, of course, this speaker is intended. I am going away on a week's hols and I'm wondering how I will survive without it!!!

Churchill China Cath Kidston Dotty Crush Mug, Red, Fine China
Churchill China Cath Kidston Dotty Crush Mug, Red, Fine China

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for £6, 1 Jan. 2013
I got this mug because of it's size. It's nice and big to hold my morning peppermint tea. The quality is average. The handle is a little thin making it feel a bit less than expensive; which it is so I can't complain.

Cast Away [DVD] [2001]
Cast Away [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by 247dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Gripped, 28 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Cast Away [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
This is the only film that keeps me totally immersed from beginning to end. Usually I get bored 2 or 3 times throughout a film and go and do something else for a while but not with this one. Brilliant.

Samsung 16GB Galaxy Player 50 - White
Samsung 16GB Galaxy Player 50 - White
Offered by The Outlet Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Little Player, 26 Sept. 2012
I have had this player for 2 days and I am blown away by it. I know I am a late comer to this pmp as it first came out a while ago. So I was not expecting it to be at the forefront of technology, and it's not, however, for me, it does exactly what I want it to do.
My main priorieties when searching for this mp3 player is that it sounds good, has wifi and has enough storage.
I don't want it to do facebook, twitter etc. as I have an ipod touch and SE phone for that but I do want it to scrobble my listened to music to last.fm hence the need for wifi.

First of all the SQ is amazing (and I have tried a few pmps lately including a brand new and expensive Sony). It sounds much better than that - fresher. There doesn't seem to be any volume cap which is a relief as I believe that it really dulls the sound. I downloaded Poweramp from the Play store and it works perfectly, sounds great and scrobbles my music. The trebles are crystal clear and the bass is sharp. It sounds good even with my cheapest pair of earphones.

I have the 16GB version and I have ordered a 32gb SD card for it. I would prefer more but only ipods seem to provide more storage.

I love the device itself. It's smart looking and slick to hold. The screen quality is fine. I have no complaints.

The reason I have only given it 4 stars is due to the lack of ram. Now I know that when this player came out it probably had as much ram as the next player but now it seems slow. As other reviewers have said it does lag a little. By 'a little' I mean that when you press a button you wait 2 - 3 seconds for it to respond. Really not that long and I can put up with that. As I am not using it for internet, fb etc. then it will be fine but I can understand that if you want a player to do all that I would recommend you looking for a newer version with more ram and a newer version of Android. There are many apps that this player won't run due to the old Android system. It's a shame that Samsung didn't provide this player with an update.
But if you want a great sounding, non volume capped, music player then get this. It's a little gem.

Amaranthe
Amaranthe

5.0 out of 5 stars New, Fresh & Original, 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Amaranthe (Audio CD)
I love this album. As my title says, it is new, fresh and original. There is nothing else like it out there (that I have come across) The interaction between the 3 vocalists seems easy and almost playful. Another reviewer didn't like the growling vocals but I think it adds a dimension without which the music wouldn't be half as interesting. Coming from a doom/death metal background I am well used to growling vocals.

The whole album is relentless in it's energy from beginning to end. Here and there it reminds you of pop music but the heavy guitars and growling vocals keep me well happy.

Sony NWZ-Z1060 32GB Walkman Powered by Android - Black
Sony NWZ-Z1060 32GB Walkman Powered by Android - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good.....Get yourself a headphone amp., 17 Aug. 2012
I have had this player for about a month. Like many other people I was trying to decide between this and a Cowon Z2. I plumped for the Z2 only to have many problems with it so it was returned. (For those of you who are also trying to make this descision - the Cowon sounds much better but had many other problems which I won't go into here.)

There is one blinding (in my opinion) flaw on this player. The size of the storage. Sony - WHY only 32GB?? It's just not big enough for anyone who likes to rip their music to flac files or even 320kbps. This player claims to be for music lovers and yet only provides 32GB and NO SD card slot. For the price a card slot would have been nice.

Another niggle is the heavily capped volume. This is of course not Sony's fault but the fault of the EU legislation. If you like your music loud then you will want to get a headphone amp such as the Fiio E5 or, better, the Fiio E11. These are fantastic pieces of kit and will enhance sound quality as well; especially the E11. FiiO E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier

On to the positives -
The screen is huge and the UI easy to use especially if you also have an andriod phone. The build quality is great and the back is blue!! It connects to wi-fi easily and even with a poor signal does not drop out. I find, as with all Sony products, that it could do with slightly more ram but it manages mostly so this isn't a huge complaint. Although I still use my ipod touch for facebook, messaging, browsing etc.
The included ear buds are good. I find them a little uncomfortable but I find all in ear 'phones uncomfortable.

The music player itself is a bit basic and I find it a bit dull sounding. I wonder if that is due to the heavily capped volume. I now use Rocket Player and GoneMad Music Player which I downloaded from the Play Store. I would recommend using a third party player as it just perks the sound up a bit and gives you more options. I also like PlayerPro. The overall sound is crisp and rich. Very good.

Media Go is easy to use. If you tried it a few years ago and didn't like it then give it another go. After several updates it's a great piece of software.

So in conclusion, I recommend this player. There is nothing out there with more storage except for the Cowon (too may problems), an ipod (no thanks) and the Samsung Galaxy (I have never got on with Samsungs).
It is too expensive but if you can afford it then get it. You won't regret it.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2013 6:35 PM GMT

Sony MDRXB500 Headband Headphones with Extra Bass Black
Sony MDRXB500 Headband Headphones with Extra Bass Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for metal., 26 July 2012
Despite my review title I love these headphones. The build quality, as with any Sony product, is great. They are HUGE!! Padded and comfortable. They keep your ears very warm - great for winter in the UK. I;m trying to pursuade my Mum to get a pair as she;s always complaining about cold ears!! They have a flat cable which does not tangle. You do look like a bit of a plonker wearing them and I;m not sure I would be brave enough to wear them out but that;s ok as I didn;t buy them for that.

Now to the SQ -
I listen to metal music; death, doom, symphonic, heavy. I have had these earphones for about 3 weeks and I am using a new Sony NWZ-Z1060 with a Fiio E11 amp and 320kbps mp3s and the odd flac.

I thought I was a bass fan but it turns out that metal music does not suit a lot of bass as it is all about the melody and vocals. This false assumption maybe due to the fact that I have spent the past 3 years trying (and failing) to get any bass at all out of my Sennheisers.

I was a bit disappointed at first as these did not seem to enhance my music at all but then I listened to some Jamiroquai (which is the closest I have to bass driven music) and WOW!! what an amazing difference. These headphones truly do pump out a lot of incredible sounding bass.

The good news is that after 3 weeks of use the sound is definitely improving. The bass is becoming crisper which I like and is suiting my metal music better. I have to set the bass right down on the equaliser and sometimes even boost the treble to get a correct balance. Although these are advertised as headphones for bass, the trebles and highs are beautifully clear. I recommend these to anyone especially bass fans but if you like metal music then I would look elsewhere.

So this, overall is a positive review. It would be 5 stars if I listened to the right sort of music. These are certainly the best headphones I have owned and at a great price. I will update this review if things improve further.

FREE ALL-EURO EXPEDITED SHIPPING + NEW 2012!!!!!!!! Cowon Z2 Plenue 16G MP3 PLAYER - Black (Android)

4.0 out of 5 stars Updated Review from 2 to 4 Stars, 16 July 2012
First of all let me say that I have had 3 of these players. Two from a UK supplier and one from Korea. All of which have been returned. So the problems that I;m about to describe were not a fault on one player but occurred on all three.
If I was writing this review purely based on the sound quality then it would get 5 stars; but I;m not. I know that this is the most important factor but the other problems were too great for me to keep the player.
First and most annoyingly, it wouldn;t recognise the artist of over a third of my music and therefore would not apply album art. I tried endlessly to fix this with help from the seller and from the lovely people at Cowon in Korea, and by using tagging apps from the Play Store. (I know that the problem was with the tags attached to the music files.) I could find no rhyme or reason why it recognised some and not others. I could go on and on about this but we;d be here all day. Believe me I tried EVERYTHING within my fairly good technical knowledge. I managed to fix it with one app but as soon as I turned the player off and on again, all my hard work had vanished. I also installed various music player apps (Poweramp, GoMad Music Player and PlayerPro) all of which recognised the artist and artwork no problem but unfortunately don;t sound as good as the Cowon player on it;s own.

Secondly, my music was full of ticks and skips. I listened to the same track endlessly with different headphones, on different players, at different bit rates; but it still only happened on the Cowon at exactly the same point everytime.

Thirdly (and I could have put up with this although irritating) it would not hold a weak wi-fi signal. I live in a flat behind the main house and the router is in the house so the signal in my flat is poor. However, my ipod touch has no trouble holding the signal and my SE Xperia Arc S holds it most of the time but the Cowon struggled to even find a signal even at the strongest point.

I was comparing this to the new Sony NWZ-Z1060, which I know a lot of other people are doing. I ummed and arred for ages. I;m glad that I tried the Cowon otherwise I would always be wondering what all the fuss was about. Now I am the happy owner of the Sony. It works - flawlessly and with access to the Play Store - no more side loading of apps which was a HUGE faff.

The positives are of course the SQ. There are so many options to vary the sound to suit your ears. It opens up the sounscape on mp3s really well. Blissful. It has a nice 1GB of ram and so can cope with many tasks at once. No lags. However, the organised and slightly neurotic side of me just couldn;t cope with the unorganised music. As my title says - such a shame.

The seller was extremely helpfull so I have no problem in recommending the seller, just not the product.
Oh, and if you;re wondering about the EU volume cap, I can tell you that this Korean version is 20% louder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update - 2 - 4 stars, 5 months on.

I tried very hard to convince myself that I liked the Sony but once you have heard your music on a Cowon, nothing else will do. I bought another of these Z2s 2nd hand off ebay (A uk version). I have sorted out many of the problems that I had and I will write them here to help new Cowon users.

The Z2 does not like music ripped by iTunes. Use MediaMonkey. Since using MM I have had no trouble with the Z2 recognising artists which was the main problem. I have had to re-rip my entire music collection but it has been worth it.

I don't use the stock music player at all. I use either PowerAmp, Player Pro, GoneMad Music Player or Rocket Player. PowerAmp is by far the best as it eliminates any EU capped volume problems. These all need to be side loaded. I have an Android phone so I download them from the Play Store onto that, back them up using Astro File Manager, upload them to Dropbox and then download them to the Z2. Long winded I know!! Here is one tip that I didn't know originally.....with any of these player apps, if you turn off the equaliser then the player will use the stock music player eq which has the all Cowon widening effects. This is great because, lets face it, that is why you bought this player.

I hope this helps some people.
I highly recommend this player if sound quality is the most important aspect to you. It has many 'little ways' some of which are irritating and I'm not sure that this Z2 was completely ready to be released but one puts up with all that for the sq.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7