Profile for Chris > Reviews

Content by Chris

Chris

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars even brighter than the reviews suggest!, 23 Dec. 2013
This light is so bright that when directed at corners on country lanes it totally overpowers the headlights of approaching cars. I've had cars pull in and stop to let me pass, seemingly unsure of what's approaching. I now use the lower setting on the road as it may dazzle other road users, but full power off road is brilliant.
The only issue is that the battery pack is not waterproof (I've put the small plastic bag the charger comes in inside the fabric battery case to resolve this for now).
So good my friend asked for one for Christmas to replace his t5 lights.

[Non-Slip] SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Case Slim [Ultra Fit] [Smooth Black] Premium SF Coated Matte Hard Case for Nexus 5 - Smooth Black
Offered by Spigen UK Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent case, 23 Dec. 2013
This case is pretty much as I'd hoped. It feels nice, has well designed openings for buttons / connections and the case comes just above the screen.

The only slight issue is that the opening on the bottom to allow for the charger connection has quite sharp edges which sometimes catch my finger. Not a major issue though, recommended!

Asus S400CA 14-inch Touchscreen VivoBook (4GB RAM, 500GB HDD)
Asus S400CA 14-inch Touchscreen VivoBook (4GB RAM, 500GB HDD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop for Windows 8, 10 Jun. 2013
Just thought I'd leave a note on here after spending a while looking through reviews for a laptop and choosing this one.

I found the laptop to be very good for the price, light and thin (which was a priority for me) and nice and quick for everything I use it for (internet, word processing, music, videos etc)

The only slight issues I have are the very, very reflective screen, which can be surprisingly mirror like at times, especially if you have a window behind you, but it doesn't render the laptop unusable. A backlit keyboard would have been a good addition, but again it's not often that this is a real issue.

My main point would be that if, like me, you're after a Windows 8 laptop, a touch screen is definitley a necessity! I was torn between a lighter, more powerful model, and this one with the touch screen and I'm very pleased I went with this one. Windows 8 really needs it, I tried using it with the track pad and it's a horrible experience!

Overall a bit of a bargain at this price!

Beyond Azara: A Universal Love Story
Beyond Azara: A Universal Love Story
by Dr. Martin W. Ball Ph.D.

4.0 out of 5 stars fantastic read, 17 Jan. 2013
I really enjoyed this book, it's a real page turner towards the end and has lots of interesting ideas to get you thinking.

The fact that I share a lot of the ideas put across in this book but that it took them onto further conclusions i had yet to develop really made the book interesting and worthwhile for me.

Definitely recommended!

Bed Of Nails Acupressure Mat Green
Bed Of Nails Acupressure Mat Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works, helps my back ache a lot, 22 Oct. 2011
I've suffered from a bad back for years, but recently it's got a lot worse. I've been getting a sports massage once a month which helps, but only for a short time.

I decided to give this mat a try, although i was not sure how effective it would be.

It's been a bit of a revelation! I use the mat every night before bed for 10-20 minutes and it pretty much clears up any tension and aches in my back / neck. I use it before bed as it's so relaxing i usually feel very sleepy after using it. It also has a very calming, relaxing affect.

My back especially aches are riding a motorcycle, but within minutes this clears up any problems.

I'd definitely recommend giving this a try both to alleviate back pain and for relaxing.

Beyond the Comfort Zone
Beyond the Comfort Zone
by James M. Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Not gripping, terrible editing, 21 Aug. 2011
I really wanted to love this book, and was really looking forward to reading it. Having read 'Shantaram' I was hoping for a similar experience.

Firstly, I cannot believe how bad the grammar and punctuation is during the whole of this book. I wouldn't normally be bothered by a few weirdly placed commas or the odd spelling mistake, but it really ruined the flow of the book for me. It, was like the story was, being stopped and started all, of, the time and it made me need to re-read sentences repeatedly to understand their meaning. This seriously needs to be addressed for the next printing.

But as to the actual story, I guess my main problem was that I just didn't find the main character that likeable! He came accross as a bit of an arrogant, immature drunken annoyance a lot of the time to be honest. It's hard to get involved in the story if you don't really care what happens to the guy.

He seemed to have a lack of creativity. This shows when, having learnt to play the Saxophone, he tours with the boyband Bros playing on songs for which his part has already been written. He says that a lot of old musical friends feel he has sold out, but he felt that playing onstage in front of tens of thousands of people would be the aim of any musican's career. Any without the wish to create their own music, or without integrity perhaps. (This is obviously just my own feeling though!)

The story itself seemed to drag out over a long period quite mundane happenings, it all felt a bit light. Also, after a couple of examples, there really isn't a need to write EVERY conversation that happened in Thai in both Thai and English. I'm not going to try to read all of the Thai in my head, then read the English. I was left feeling it was done just to bump up the word count and make it into a book of reasonable length.

That said, I enjoyed parts of it, and found myself racing through the last 50 pages. It did the job as a light holiday read, just about.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2013 12:23 PM GMT

John Martyn: Live At The BBC [DVD] [2006]
John Martyn: Live At The BBC [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ John Martyn

5.0 out of 5 stars John at his best, 13 May 2011
I had high hopes for this DVD, and it's safe to say that it exceeded my expectations. Starting off with John's early, solo work with some incredible versions of tracks including Small Hours and One World, though to his later work with his band.

I've read a review on here suggesting disappointment with the later songs with John's full band, stating that it showed "his ability to let style overcome substance in the 1980s when he unwisely engaged rock bands to bolster his sound". To my mind this is a ridiculous statement. John's work with his band showed his need to keep experimenting and developing his sound, he was certainly not the kind of musician to find his style and sit comfortably with it, he was constantly looking for new directions, and I think that even if some of these journeys have been less successful than others, it shows his creativity and unbelievable talent. The same reviewer adds "but I can't help thinking of how much better this DVD could have been", which I can only assume means that they'd have preferred a DVD of only John's early, solo work, which would have been to only see him at the very start of his amazing career and miss the fantastic developments from his further journey.

This DVD is brilliant from start to finish and hugely enjoyable.

These Waters - EP
These Waters - EP

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 15 Dec. 2010
This review is from: These Waters - EP (MP3 Download)
It's a shame the rating only goes up to 5 stars, this album's awesome. Ben Howard is even better live, buy this album.

2013: Raising the Earth to the Next Vibration
2013: Raising the Earth to the Next Vibration
by Richard Grossinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound, important, 30 Sept. 2010
I read lots, and lots, and lots of books on this subject. If you are looking for an introduction into this area, I would recommend something like Daniel Pinchbeck's 2012 book. This book takes for granted that you know a lot of the stuff contained in it already, and that, for me, is it's strength. No re-reading stuff you've read a thousand times before and already understand, it mentions and idea, assumes you have some knowledge of it, then pushes things further.

If you take your time with this book, you will find that every page has important and profound information.

Highly recommended.