Profile for Angel Star > Reviews

The Burning Air
The Burning Air
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars PURE GENIUS!, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Burning Air (Kindle Edition)
This is writing, and reading at its best, fast paced, unputdownable, gripping page turner. I LOVED The Poison Tree and was slightly disappointed in The Sick Rose in comparison, although it was still a thoroughly enjoyable read, but this is Erin Kellys' best yet.

Was totally floored by the massive twist nearly halfway through and the book totally changed direction from then on. It was all about perspective. Differing parts of the story are told by different characters, again, perspective, differing perspectives its a real insight into how people see things from a different point of view.

Another reviewer mentioned that they thought Erin was unsure how to finish this book, not sure if I am in agreement with this or its just the fact that I did not want this book to end! I would have liked more background on Heather Kellaway and what made her the way she was, which of course had a knock on effect. The twists and turns could have kept on coming, more skeletons in the closet, more revelations, but of course only certain characters knew certain things and it had to end somewhere...unfortunately!

Seriously poses the question, do we ever really KNOW anyone???

The 120 Days of Sodom
The 120 Days of Sodom
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be potentially dangerous in the wrong hands..., 23 Feb 2014
I finished reading this book a few weeks ago and have toyed with writing a review since then, pondering the question, can you give a just review to an unfinished piece such as this?? This was to be the authors masterpiece work and I feel he would have been horrified that it was published in draft form, although would have thrived on the notoriety it gave him. My review and star rating, marked at 3 for "average" reflect this thinking.

It must be borne in mind before reading this that this is an unfinished work and that it is not an erotic novel. I read this book purely as a study of the Marquis de Sade, and his imagination was definitely fascinating.

Only the first part of this book is written in detail. Had the book been finished it would have no doubt been heavily edited, as, in my opinion it was already MANY pages too long. Anyway, as is, the book has so many characters that it is nearly impossible to form any find of emotion towards any of them, therefore, you don't really care what happens to them - would be comparable to watching shooting in a war zone on the evening news. The characters who are written in more detail, although of interest to the reader are thoroughly unlikeable.

The writer alludes to things and requests the readers patience as all will be revealed later in the book. It isn't, as he never got that far, this is frustrating and the reader is left trying to imagine the horrors. He writes about depravity and cruelty with wit and humour and therefore the book does not have a dark sinister tone which makes it easily readable. The use of language is very articulate and gives a feel that this book could have been written in very recent years.

Duclos was my favourite character in the book and it was solely on her narrations that I continued to read. The constant acts and references of coprophagia started to grate on me and were hugely off putting. I knew this would feature in the book but not to the extent and I was thinking please get over this and move on to something else..

Very, very little in this book is sexual and although the Marquis was clearly depraved to start with, it is obvious that he was really scraping the depths of depravity during the period he was confined whilst writing this manuscript. The horrors which he would have written in detail, had it been finished, are unimaginable.

This is a work about wealth, abuse of power and cruelty written by an author who was bored, frustrated and depraved. His sanity is questionable. Doubt anyone of sound mind could genuinely enjoy the content of this book, however, I really enjoyed the Marquis' style of writing, it makes easy reading. There are many criminal acts featured in this book, I would dread to think anyone would seek to draw any inspiration from it but it could be dangerous in the wrong hands...

Winter's Children
Winter's Children
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting!!, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Winter's Children (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the best books ive ever read. It was totally NOT what I expecting, but so much more. The insertions of old bizarre recipes was quirky. The history of the house was fascinating. You cannot escape the ghosts of the past. This is definitely a Christmas/Winter read, you will not be disappointed.

The Legacy
The Legacy
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Legacy (Kindle Edition)
Epic story spanning the years and the globe and social classes. Thoroughly enjoyable summer reading. I bought this as part of a twin set with The Unseen, which was the book I was actually wanting to read, it was a bit of a let down, this surpassed all my expections.

Trafficked: The Terrifying True Story of a British Girl Forced into the Sex Trade
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary Stuff, 9 Nov 2013
In my opinion every girl should read this book. I was totally unaware of the scale of this problem and it needs stamped out completely. What an utterly horrific time Sophie had and how very brave she is. This is well written and a compelling read, really gets the message out there and that alone deserves the 5*s.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Do we ever really know anyone???, 9 Nov 2013
There are so many secrets about our lives we'll never know....Some secrets are meant to stay secret forever...just ask Pandora. How true.

This book is clever, really clever. Its a very real fact that you could be plodding along with your life only to be shell shocked by some massive secret from the past which has become unearthed and life as you know it will never be the same again.

This is a thought provoking page turner, the way the author describes the "what ifs" in the characters lives is pure genius and highly original, you feel you not only know them personally but have exclusive access to their minds and thoughts. No sense of sadness on finishing this book, there was really nothing more to say and the epilogue was my favourite part, an excellent refection. Much praise to the author, would give 10 stars for this if I could.

The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories
The Apple: Crimson Petal Stories
by Michel Faber
Price: 7.51

5.0 out of 5 stars And still I want more...., 26 Oct 2012
What a clever little book!! I say little as its only 200 pages but I read it in one afternoon sitting as I couldn't put it down. Lots of snippets into the lives of the characters of The Crimson Petal, some take you a while to figure out who they are, very cleverly written, thoroughly enjoyable but I still want more.....

Songs Of Anarchy: Music From Sons Of Anarchy Seasons 1-4
Songs Of Anarchy: Music From Sons Of Anarchy Seasons 1-4
Price: 7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't turn it off!, 11 Mar 2012
I was hoping for a soundtrack after hearing the fantastic cover version of Neil Youngs' Hey Hey, My My at the end of series 3 and I was thrilled when I seen this and ordered it straight away.

As always in soundtracks you get a couple of weak tracks that would have been better left out but on the whole its fantastic, the cover versions are excellent, my favourites are John The Revelator, Gimme Shelter and Hey Hey, My My. Katy Sagals Son of a Preacher Man is great too. Well mixed, full of passion and soul!

The Unseen
The Unseen
by Katherine Webb
Price: 7.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in theory but ...it just doesn't work, 29 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Unseen (Paperback)
I literally couldn't get this book and start reading it quick enough but I have to admit I was really disappointed!

I thought this ticked all the boxes for me, Occult - check, Murder mystery - check, Period fiction - check, bit of Romance - check, but unfortunately there is not enough of any of these things and as well as it being extremely slow moving and predictable it does end up feeling a bit of a waste of time.

This book is written in double narrative and although I enjoy double or triple narratives in some books it does not work in this one and I came to dread turning the page to find I was into another chapter in the present day, the 2011 section adds nothing to this book and indeed I feel the book would have been much improved without it. I knew from the very start of the book who the mystery soldier was and also had a very good idea pretty early on who was going to be murdered, and who Cats father was, so no surprises there!

I was surprised, however, at the nature of occult activity (theosophy), I do tend to let my imagination run away with me but I was expecting withcraft, voodoo etc, not fairies!

I thought the character of Hester was the only likeable one in the book, I found her innocence endearing, Robin Durrant was intriguing, no one else provoked any kind of emotion in me. I found it unbelievable that a mouthy, opinionated upstart like Cat would ever be employed in service or that a vicar in 1911 would have any interest or even knowledge of theosophy.

The book is well researched and well enough written, it just didn't work for me. Have just started reading "The Legacy" which I can't put down, I have higher hopes for this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2012 9:27 AM BST

The Poison Tree
The Poison Tree
by Erin Kelly
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, compelling and unbelievably unpredictable!, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Poison Tree (Paperback)
I think it impossible to give this book a just review without giving away the plot to potential readers. My advice to anyone wanting to read this is to read it all, then re-read the first chapter again, you will see why.

The atmosphere the author creates is gripping, the book is full of twists and turns that you won't guess until a few lines beforehand.

I have a "friend" like Biba, interesting, intriguing, possibly inspiring but utterly selfish to the core, its easy to be drawn to such a personality if you have lead a dull, mundane existence as the character Karen has.

This book is a stark reminder that there is a fine line between sanity and insanity and that in a split second your life can easily spin out of control.

Excellent read, fantastic author!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4