Profile for Ann Clarke > Reviews

Spooks: The Greater Good [DVD]
Spooks: The Greater Good [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kit Harington

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Spooks this is great, 30 Oct. 2015
Enjoyed. Shame Spooks ended but it had come to the end

Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord 1940-45
Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord 1940-45
by Max Hastings

4.0 out of 5 stars Things were different in 1940, 13 Feb. 2010
Enjoyed the book, it was informative and kept my interest to the end. Whilst we all know that Churchill was far from perfect, on balance I thought the book did play to his downsides although I accept that due credit was given to the rare gifts of the man to inspire.

I am British although I now live most of my time in the USA, I purchased the book as I was interested in his relationship with Roosevelt and Stalin and his perception as a leader abroad. However, during the reading of this book, his relationships at home, those with his generals, Government and the British people, made me curious to read more about the war years and history of that time from a purely British perspective. So if nothing else the book has inspired me to research further specifics and I realized that I was not as well informed as I thought on this period of history.

Although I was born many years after the war, this period in our history is important and with all his faults Churchill still remains inspirational and a leader to be proud of.