Profile for huggybear99 > Reviews

Content by huggybear99

"huggybear99"

Sid Meier's Pirates! (PC CD)
Sid Meier's Pirates! (PC CD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Boo hoo hoo, need a bottle of rum, 21 Dec. 2004
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm not new to this game. I, like several others below, have enormous nostalgia for the old Pirates game and snapped this new version up when it came out. But I'm afraid this is a major disappointment.
Positives. The graphics are lovely to look at and initially the freedom to do whatever you please makes a real change in a single player game. Travelling around is fine (except when you have to traverse the map against the wind!) and the ship to ship battles are excellent. I found the dancing hilarious and finally mastered it on about the 30th attempt!
Negatives. Everything else is SO repetitive. The sword fights are extremely dull and simple to win. But the worst aspect is the land battles. Again these are easy to win, but the battle takes AGES, mainly because the men lumber about like snails from square to square (especially when going uphill) and there's no reason for this. It's turn based not RTS so why make us sit there and watch pirates crawl around?
If you're like me, you sack about 40 towns a game and eventually you dread attacking towns because you know you'll be bored stiff for 10 minutes.
Finally, it's just too easy to get the maximum points. I played on adventurer level (the middle level) and on the second and third attempts got the maximum score possible of 126. And I'm really not a particularly good gamer. As a result, I have little inclination to set out to sea ever again. Which is a shame, as I was REALLY looking forward to this.