Profile for Phil > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Replacement Vented Frying Fry Pan Saucepan Glass Lid Cover - 34 Cm
Replacement Vented Frying Fry Pan Saucepan Glass Lid Cover - 34 Cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value., 20 Feb. 2015
This is good value for money. I needed a 34cm lid for my 35cm Meyer frypan and this is the only glass lid that I could find so big. I bought the 34cm lid which sits in the rather awkward shaped pan fairly well, but would fit a normal 34cm very well. Pan sizes generally are measured by the inside diameter of the top of the pan. This lid measures almost precisely 34cm on the inside edge and 35cm on the outside edge giving a 5 mm overlap all round to cover the edge of a 34cm pan. The knob is plastic and as such may not be suitable for oven use. I normally buy the more expensive Greenpan glass lids which have a metal handle and are ovenproof but they are not available in this size.

Draper 05095 150mm 370W 230V Bench Grinder with Worklight
Draper 05095 150mm 370W 230V Bench Grinder with Worklight

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the money, well made., 15 Jan. 2015
Good value, and pretty well made for a budget item. I am a prop maker and do not do much metalwork, however I needed something to round of the corners on some pieces of 4mm aluminium plate. This it managed ok although if I pressed a little too hard it would slow the motor down. If I were a serious metalworker I would want a bigger and more powerful model, however for occasional or hobby use this is excellent value. The motor runs quiet and smooth, the bulb is fairly bright but the light throw is uneven, a different bulb may sort that. The machine may benefit from better quality grinding discs when it comes time to replace them. Please note that this type of grinder is not suitable for sharpening woodworking tools, the heat produced would ruin the metal tempering and make the tool unsharpenable forever, A slow wet stone such as those made by Tormek is needde for that.

2 Pairs of Mens Wool Coolmax Walking Socks Hiking Trekking
2 Pairs of Mens Wool Coolmax Walking Socks Hiking Trekking
Offered by W Brewin & Co Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit dissapointing., 8 Jan. 2015
I am a size 8 foot so I bought the largest size. They are comfortable and warm when new, but shrink slightly after the first wash. On every subsequent wash they shrink a bit further and mat a little. After about 6 to 10 washes they are very difficult to get on. If my foot was any larger I would not be able to get them on at all. I bought about 10 pairs in all hoping that they would last the winter, it is now the 8th of January and I have had to buy a different brand of sock. Disappointing and I would not buy again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2015 12:46 PM GMT

Stedman Comfort Mens 180gsm Cotton Plain T-Shirt - S-XXL
Stedman Comfort Mens 180gsm Cotton Plain T-Shirt - S-XXL
Price: £2.20 - £10.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and good value., 8 Jan. 2015
I find these T shirts to be comfortable and soft, even after several washes. The cotton is a decent weight and I find the length to be good too.

James Brown: The Godfather of Soul
James Brown: The Godfather of Soul
by James Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting., 8 Jan. 2015
I bought this book for a friend, perhaps she would like to review it..."
I'm 2 thirds of the way through this book and so far has been an interesting insight into the life of a legend, particularly his early years. I would however like to know more about the man from some other sources, as this is obviously an autobiography and very much James Browns perspective. Having also watched the recent film, I feel perhaps both are missing some truths about his more colourful past. To be expected though."

Nikon Action EX 10x50 CF Binocular
Nikon Action EX 10x50 CF Binocular

5.0 out of 5 stars I have just set them up and they are amazing! I can't say anymore until I have used ..., 31 Dec. 2014
I have just set them up and they are amazing! I can't say anymore until I have used them for a bit out and about.

STAEDTLER Noris Design Tub Sharpener
STAEDTLER Noris Design Tub Sharpener

5.0 out of 5 stars This a great sharpener, I use mine mostly for my Staedtler ..., 30 Oct. 2014
This a great sharpener, I use mine mostly for my Staedtler pencils and it works a treat whilst collecting the shavings. The size and bright colours make it east to find and easy to use. I have one in the home for everyone to use and one in my workshop where it gets used sometime several times a day and they have both lasted well. A few reviewers have given it low marks, it is worth noting that any sharpener will fail to work if it has a bit of broken lead in the tip. Also some complain that it only does "thin" i.e. standard pencils. A double hole version is available, the 512 which does standard pencils and thicker types. Someone also queried why a replacement blade was not available, it would be very handy for people who use it a lot, although I believe that the standard metal sharpener, code 510 10 is the sharpener in the tub and it can be replaced and the old one recycled as steel and aluminium. An added bonus is that children are able to turn it easily and the blade is hidden for safety. At the Amazon price it is a bargain and I wish I had bought several years ago. Every home should have one!

Reliance Medical Religlove Nitrile Powder-free (Medium)
Reliance Medical Religlove Nitrile Powder-free (Medium)
Offered by 5gdirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but a bit too snug a fit., 26 Oct. 2014
These are good quality thick gloves, however I find them a bit small. I bought a pack of Medium, glove size 7 to 8, the size I have always used in latex gloves and although I can get them on they feel a bit restrictive. Luckily my assistant although also normally a medium does have smaller hands than me so they should suit her perfectly. I shall buy myself a box of Large.

JD Bug MS130/136/137 Scooter Rear Axle Bolt
JD Bug MS130/136/137 Scooter Rear Axle Bolt
Offered by Kates Skates

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality., 11 Jun. 2014
This is not aluminium as stated but good quality steel and very strong. Someone asked for dimensions so here they are. The shaft is 7.9mm diameter for 8 mm bore bearings. The shaft excluding screw ends is 60mm long. One screw end is an integral part of the shaft, this has a 5mm button head. the other screw end is a M6 x 15 machine screw with round button head for 5mm hex driver. It has a 1.5mm shoulder on it effectively increasing the shaft length to 61.5mm. A well made item.

Kitchen Craft Hamburger Maker with 100 Wax Discs
Kitchen Craft Hamburger Maker with 100 Wax Discs

5.0 out of 5 stars Good size., 11 Jun. 2014
This is a good sized well made burger maker. I have a quarter pounder Lakeland one, this is similar but smaller. It also has a return spring built in and a base so that it can be used on a worktop rather than on a plate. I recently made beefburgers using my Lakeland model with 400grams of Scotch Steak mince and a small onion sautéed in olive oil. It made only three big burgers each weighing over 150grams, and about 110mm diameter and 15mm thick, that is too much meat for us. Using the above Kitchen craft burger maker I managed to get a child's burger, about 65 grams, and four adult burgers each weighing about 100grams and measuring 90 mm diameter and about 12 to 13mm thick. For us that is enough meat at one sitting and a lot more economical. The replacement wax discs are about 85mm diameter. I use two discs per burger, freeze them on a flat surface then put them in a bag together and defrost how many I need when necessary. All in all it is cleaner and more hygienic than hand making them. It is machine washable, although I did not wash the spring as it does not get dirty in normal use. Good value for the home.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3