Profile for timG > Reviews

Content by timG

timG

Surviving the Douchebag Apocalypse: How to Recognize, Understand, and Deal with Jerks, Manipulators and Bullshit People
by Edward Carboni

5.0 out of 5 stars ... sharp insight combine to make the funniest and most useful book I have read in years, 14 Sep 2014
Hilarious wit and razor sharp insight combine to make the funniest and most useful book I have read in years. Carboni brilliantly slaughters the behaviour and world view of these narcissistic personalities that plague modern society. Also amusing to see the ways that I also display some of this behaviour and great advice on being a better person. I wish he wrote this when I was 13 and starting secondary school because it would have made life a load easier. Many thanks for writing a truly awesome book.

Complete Calisthenics: The Ultimate Guide to Bodyweight Exercise
Complete Calisthenics: The Ultimate Guide to Bodyweight Exercise
by Mr Ashley Kalym

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best!!!, 24 Jun 2014
I have currently in my library "Convict Conditioning", "You Are Your Own Gym" and "Overcoming Gravity" all of which have their merits. Overcoming Gravity is geared more towards gymnasts with an excellent level of information and good progressions although it is a little dry. Convict Conditioning is an exciting read and introduced me to the harder levels of bodyweight strength but I found fault with some progressions not leading well to the next. You Are Your Own Gym is aimed at everyone but does not have a linear progression system, it does have a good fitness regime and exercises for everything.
Where Complete Calisthenics scores above all these is with a greater emphasise on progressing strength, its layout is such that each exercise listed contributes to getting to the next. Also the introduction pointing out the strengths/ weaknesses and unique aspects of calisthenics is very good and marks it above Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym which though inspiring do make out that calisthenics is the answer to everything.
The only minuses I found were the nutrition section which is back to basics - no bad thing but some readers may expect more detail. The other minus is in the push up section which is not organised as logically in terms of progressions as the rest of the book. This book is also superior to the others in that the explanations are better and photography much clearer. All in all for a serious guide to all things bodyweight this is the best of the best. (in my humble opinion).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2014 9:34 PM BST

Molton Brown Heavenly Gingerlily Moisture Bath & Shower
Molton Brown Heavenly Gingerlily Moisture Bath & Shower
Offered by Beauty Boutique Online

4.0 out of 5 stars All good., 2 Dec 2013
Quick delivery as described, its a present so I cannot say about the contents of the bottle. However Molton Browns reputation is very good so no worries there.

Powerbar 2 Pull up chin up bar
Powerbar 2 Pull up chin up bar
Offered by RJH Product Development

4.0 out of 5 stars Major C.L.Armstrong style., 31 May 2013
This review is from: Powerbar 2 Pull up chin up bar
Very good for not marking doorways. I have had mine for a couple of weeks use it five days from seven. It has lef a slight indentation in the door frame at the top edge where the little hooks press on from the pressure. I have had a couple of different pullup bars and this is overall the best and all have left coloured marks and indentation.
My main gripe is that the crucial weld on the left hand side upright does not match that of the right, having only been welded half the circumferance of the right-hand upright. I can only see this as a problem if I do a lot og kipping pullups which I will never do.
If it had perfect welds all around and may be some padding for the hands then I would give it 5 star as the qualit of material and thought that went into the design is excellent.

Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness-Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength

4.0 out of 5 stars solo strength, 16 May 2011
I like the style and explainations of the various steps to exercise. It is a little repetitive but that is to be expected with exercise books. It puts forth a winning case for not going to the gym. Also its good to have progressions up to the very difficult physical feats it mentions unlike other books I have read such as "You Are Your Own Gym".