Profile for Mr. Peter Barrett > Reviews

Content by Mr. Peter Barrett

Mr. Peter Barrett (Gloucestershire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kensington Digital FM Transmitter
Kensington Digital FM Transmitter

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm just Fussy, But..., 18 Jan 2008
A previous reviewer stated that this device gives audio quality similar to CDs. I beg to differ. My RX8 comes with a Bose system as standard, which includes a pretty good CD player. By comparison, playing my ipod through the Kensington doesn't really come close. It sounds like it's playing over the radio which, of course, it is. Don't expect more than this and you'll be happy. On the upside, it was extremely simple to install and get working. A black version would be nicer, and I personally think 35 is a lot to pay for something that looks and feels like a plastic toy.

Hey Ho Let's Go - Anthology
Hey Ho Let's Go - Anthology
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 14.02

5.0 out of 5 stars This IS Rock & Roll, 10 April 2007
Listening to one great song after another on this compilation, I am amazed that this group aren't more celebrated than they are today.

This is, by and large, staggeringly good material. At the time, there was some negative comment on their minimalist approach to songwriting, which was just plain ridiculous criticism. This is short, sharp, witty rock & roll, played fast and tight. Proof that simple arrangements properly played will beat pretentious, overblown material anytime.

The Ramones encapsulated everything we used to like about America, when it was still fun and hadn't morphed into the Fourth Reich yet. This is the America that gave us The Addams Family, The Munsters, Scooby Doo, Elvis and Cadillacs. The Ramones were warm, hard, funny and they rocked.

This group was massively influential on the British punk movement and it's easy to see why. Unlike much of the UK stuff, the songs here have stood the test of time very well, ready to inluence another generation of rockers with their power and melodies.

The best stuff is from the Rocket to Russia period, (Commando, Sheena, Lobotomy, Rockaway Beach, etc), although there's an incredible highlight at the start of disc 2 (The KKK Took My Baby Away) and plenty of solid material after that, although it runs out of steam a little about half way through the second disc, compared to the simple power of the earlier tunes.

Compare this to the current crop of punk bands, American and otherwise. Nothing comes close.

New York Dolls
New York Dolls
Price: 8.28

5.0 out of 5 stars The '70s start here..., 19 Mar 2007
This review is from: New York Dolls (Audio CD)
Unbelievably, for someone who was a punk in 1977, I have only just got around to checking out the New York Dolls. Yeah, I was aware of their influence on punk, the MacLaren connection, etc, but I'd just never bothered exploring beyond that.

Well, three decades late, I can see what the fuss was about. This is storming, raucous rock 'n' roll, setting a template not just for punk, but also for much of the '70s pop sound.

It's not difficult to see how much they influenced the Pistols, with Thunders' guitar licks liberally copied by Steve Jones. At the time they wouldn't have sounded (or looked) like anyone else. Today, they still sound sh*t hot, redy to influence a new generation of rockers.

Don't put it off any longer, buy this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2014 8:56 PM GMT

The Good, The Bad & The Queen
The Good, The Bad & The Queen
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.68

4.0 out of 5 stars The Good and The Not Bad, 7 Feb 2007
When I first played this, I was in the wrong mood. It wasn't quite what I was expecting and I didn't like it at all. I found Alburn's wistful, back-of-the-mix vocals irritating and some of the tunes dreary.

However, I'm glad I gave it a chance, because subsequent plays have made this grow on me quickly. Although it wasn't an instant hit, it's definitely improving with each playing.

This is a unique, reflective and melencholy album. It's not something you'd play to liven the house up, but it is a good chill out, with a nice dub vibe courtesy of Simonon's dusty bass. It's as much distincly Alburn as anything by Blur or Gorillaz, but at the same time it's quite different from anything he's done under those other banners.

I still see it as a 4-star album at the moment, but time and a good listen to the lyrics might well provide the extra dimension.

As Is Now
As Is Now
Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 2.72

4.0 out of 5 stars As he ever shall be, 18 Dec 2006
This review is from: As Is Now (Audio CD)
Yes, this is a strong album alright, but not perfect. There are one or two songs which are a little strained and 'Here's The Good News' is the kind of hony-tonk tune (replete with trombone) which Leo Sayer or Elton John might have performed on a Saturday night variety show in the '70s, although Paul pulls it off rather better than either of those two would have.

But there's some really good material too. Strongest is the single, 'From The Floorboards Up', which is typical, driving Weller. If it were more consistent, it would be a five-star album, and the whole thing might grow on me yet. Mind you, I'm definitely getting off the Weller bandwagon if he moves from honky tonk to barbershop...

All Mod Cons
All Mod Cons
Price: 22.61

5.0 out of 5 stars The pinnacle of modernism, 7 Dec 2006
This review is from: All Mod Cons (Audio CD)
This is a superb album. I've owned the vinyl since the day it was released, and it is one of the very few albums which has stood the test of time and remains as good to listen to as ever.

The quality is outstanding, not just in terms of the music and lyrics, but also in terms of production and (for the original vinyl) the pressing. This CD & DVD add even more to the package, though it's the vinyl I'll probably continue to treasure. It's a very pared-down, uncluttered, spacious production throughout, and all the better for it. Proof that less can be more.

I'm tempted to say this is Weller at his absolute best, but I don't want to demean everything he's achieved since, so I'll say it's easily the best thing The Jam ever did. Every track is outstanding, but the 'weakest' is the Kinks cover, David Watts, which speaks volumes for the rest of this album.

You need this, so buy it!

The Complete Peel Sessions
The Complete Peel Sessions

4.0 out of 5 stars All The Fall You'll Ever Need (for now), 29 Nov 2006
This is what The Fall are all about. Disc 2 alone is worth the asking price. I've only dropped a star because, as with everything they do, some of it is not easy to listen to.

FABRICLIVE22: Scratch Perverts
FABRICLIVE22: Scratch Perverts
Price: 12.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Over Hyped, 28 Nov 2006
I can't see what the fuss is about. Up to about track 15, this is a typical, well-worn mix CD format, as 'yo, yo' corny as you like. From then on it does get interesting, to the point of being very good, but by then you'll be reaching for the paracetemol.

The Black Swan
The Black Swan
Price: 9.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Nowt so queer as folk, 6 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Black Swan (Audio CD)
As a newcomer to Bert Jansch and a relative newcomer to the folk world, I bought this on the strength of its reviews.

I think I can see why people would like this album, but I'm sorry to say it hasn't made a convert out of me. Sometimes it is bluesy and American in feel and sometimes it is Anglo/Irish. For me, that's part of the problem - it doesn't have a musical or cultural identity beyond what is probably the man's own niche. This was never a problem with (say) The Pogues, whose American and Australian themes showed a clear link to their Irish roots and it isn't a problem with those among the current wave of folk acts I have encountered.

The musicianship is excellent. I daresay the slightly odd vocals from both Bert and Beth might grow on me, given time, but I don't know if I have the patience. Lyrically, I don't quite know what to make of it. At times it seems wilfully slap-dash, but maybe that's the point? The last two tracks are rather nice (the penultimate one being an instrumental). If the rest of the album had been more like this, I'd have no qualms with it. Maybe I'll come back to this album and learn to love it, maybe it'll stay in the back of the CD drawer and gather dust.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2012 5:41 PM GMT

Laika Come Home(Reissue)
Laika Come Home(Reissue)

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit niche, but not bad, 19 Sep 2006
I quite like this. It's basically the first Gorillaz album cut into a dub mix. It's good dub, too, with quite an old-fashioned feel about it. Ultimately a bit pointless, but decent chill out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3