Profile for NodNodPilot > Reviews

Content by NodNodPilot

NodNodPilot

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Sharpe's Triumph: The Battle of Assaye, September 1803 (The Sharpe Series, Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one., 20 Jan 2014
Having seen many of the TV films and enjoyed them, I have rather belatedly decided to read the books in chronological order. And what a surprise, so many little things in the storylines make more sense. Easy to read and easy to enjoy if you like your Boys Own adventure. Good stuff,

Gardman Deluxe Perma Bird Table A03032
Gardman Deluxe Perma Bird Table A03032

3.0 out of 5 stars Good style but poor quality, 2 Jan 2014
I bought this for my wife as a present so that she can indulge further with her pastime of looking after the birds in our garden. Pity I did not check it over before wrapping it up for Christmas as the response I got was "It is like a child receiving a broken toy"

This gets OK for the delivery timing, design and style. Component parts are generally well cut.

Quality of assembly is horrendous and I spent a good 60 minutes or so making this good so it will be durable in the garden. It required the removal of bent (and ineffective) nails, joints that were not meeting made good and the table itself had a piece of tongue and groove that was split.

I wonder if I had paid slightly more for the RSPB table whether . . . .?

Mele Co Ida Burl Oak Finish Wooden Jewellery Box 106
Mele Co Ida Burl Oak Finish Wooden Jewellery Box 106
Offered by tooltime uk ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A good purchase, 17 Dec 2013
This arrived on the date advised and came extremely well packed for the avoidance of any in transit damage.

I had read other customer comments and was concerned about the quality of hinges for the side doors but decided to take a gamble. On inspection the standard of build if quote high and those that had problems seemed to be just unlucky. I did not find any faults at all.

Anybody considering buying one of these should be aware it is big so get the tape measure out before ordering. Given the quantity that my wife has, this is just the job.

I can recommend this item.

Carabiner Watch - Torch Light and Compass - Clip On Unisex Pocket/Fob/Backpack Watch - Gift Boxed - QBD 2B
Offered by QBD Watches

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch is OK - but as for the rest . . ., 17 Dec 2013
First off, the watch is OK and came as described. It was other issues that let this down.
Delivery was 2 days later than advised and because it was wanted for a gift to a friend I was meeting on Sunday15th December, the lateness precluded any time for fault rectification.
The advert stated that this item came in a gift box which suited me down to the ground as it was a present. What it did come in was a bubble wrap envelope inserted into a plain white, thin cardboard box. Not as advertised, definitely not a gift box and therefore misrepresented.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 8:59 AM GMT

Uniross Digital Camera Battery Equivalent To Kodak KAA2HR
Uniross Digital Camera Battery Equivalent To Kodak KAA2HR

5.0 out of 5 stars A suitable replacement, 10 Dec 2013
This battery set was bought as a replacement for the tired originals in my inherited Kodak digital camera. Arrived promptly, competitive price and has since been in operation for the last 12 months or so with out any fault whatsoever. Could not ask, or expect, for more.

The Korean War (Pan Military Classics)
The Korean War (Pan Military Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Little known war but this book stirs the emotions., 10 Dec 2013
I have read other books by Max Hastings so I knew what to expect and was not at all disappointed with this one. This is a heavy weight text about a subject that has been well researched by the author (and team?). The book is well constructed and the story line is not in any way disjointed to the reader. On completion you will have a better understanding of the politics of the time as well as the economic impacts. I was not aware of the American approach to nuclear arms during this period and I now have a better understanding of the then and later impact to Cold War thinking. This book filled a huge history gap for me.

Sharpe's Tiger: The Siege of Seringapatam, 1799 (The Sharpe Series, Book 1)
Sharpe's Tiger: The Siege of Seringapatam, 1799 (The Sharpe Series, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars The first of many, 10 Dec 2013
As an ad hoc viewer of the TV series I quite enjoy the action shown but realising the limitations that come from this medium compared to those of the fictional mind. I have decided to start from the beginning (sensible I suppose) of the series and this this was the first one. A good read, plenty of action and a sound basis for a series. Most enjoyable and a prompter to read the rest of the Sharpe series in chronological order.

A Bit of a Do
A Bit of a Do

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch humour, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: A Bit of a Do (Kindle Edition)
I bought this as a companion to the drama rerun which has just finished on the television. Having seen this first time round but never read the book I thought I would get ahead of the series as my memory begins to fade things and be prepared for the laughs. What I read was almost the script for the TV series but with those so, so many literary extras that can rarely be acted out. A very funny book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Vietnam
Vietnam

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you forget the Americanisms, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Vietnam (Kindle Edition)
This book has almost everything. From a short but precise history of Vietnam through to the current day. It tells of shocking methods in which this war was conducted - nobody comes out this with pride.

The book itself is quite well constructed but the content often slips into US 'slang' and at times shows some bias. Having said that, if 30 years or so later I was getting facts together for this book then I could not bias - human behaviour can be quite shocking at times. Mr Cawthorne should be applauded for not flinching away from this.

A good book with the final chapter, Epilogue, quite astonishing. This does not dilute all that was read before but the numbers referring to casualties, land and social factors, are massive. These put a scale on the horrendous war.

Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States [DVD]
Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States [DVD]
Dvd ~ Oliver Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars A different slant on this period of history., 27 Nov 2013
I have an interest in 20th century history and this is an important contribution to my learning. I will state the obvious - DVD's are excellent for their visual impact but will usually lack the substance of a book. This may not be that case here as I suspect both book and DVD will compliment each other. This DVD is well put together and a frank and honest account of post WW2 American history and Oliver Stone should be praised for this.

The first episode comes across at the start as a history that is biased towards USA and negative toward Europe, particularly Britain and I felt quite uncomfortable about this. You soon realise that this is not bias but statement based on fact and however uncomfortable you may feel, are justified in being made. In later episodes Mr Stone is very honest about events and political approaches that have affected not only domestic but world history. The extension of the cold war to suit economic ends is enlightening.

This has encouraged me to read further, in part to see other views and whether Mt Stones are personal or extreme. They are not and the statements made are honest and true. The rather bad behaviour of the USA post WW2 and how it has affected both individuals and the world stage has been quite a shock to me but finding this out is a part of learning process.

This excellent DVD has been a part of my learning process and changed my historic view of 'our friends across the pond' .

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7