Profile for Fossil > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan
I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny funny funny, 8 Jan 2014
I don't need to say much, this book is hilarious. Of course, if you don't like Alan Partridge, you are going to find this book as funny as a bowl of cold porridge.
I read this on a plane journey and had to stop as I was laughing out loud so much. Truly the funniest book I have read in years.

White Flag Of The Dead: A Zombie Novel
White Flag Of The Dead: A Zombie Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars I surrender, 8 Jan 2014
I'm a bit premature rating this before I finished it, but I'm not sure I am going to finish it.
The writing is fine and there are plenty of blood-thirsty zombies to keep you entertained. However, it all felt a bit rushed and I can't say I ended up caring if any of the characters live or die. So halfway through I am feeling jaded and skimming pages.
Could also do without endless description of guns - maybe that's just me.
This is reasonable stuff, not terrible, not great either, so a middling 3 stars.

The War of the Worlds
The War of the Worlds

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic story-telling, 9 Dec 2013
Simply great stuff.

You've seen the lame Tom Cruise film and heard the Jeff Wayne music. This is the book that inspired them - and what a book.
It is written in a different style and language that we are used to now, of course, but this only seems to add to the flavour of the story being told. It is also surprising how different the original story is to the version we trhink of today.
I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good read and is happy to open their mind to something a bit different.

Cell
Cell

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Horror, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Cell (Kindle Edition)
This is not going to be remembered alongside his greatest works, but this story blew me away.

Having exhausted my supply of horror works, I had almsot given up on reading altogether and this book brought me back in. The first chapter was amazing. It had a slow-build to some explosive action, and I was hooked from then on. This is was one of those books you can't put down.

I would doubt if readers of Under the Dome, Shawshank, 22.11.63, etc would really get into this book. If you're a fan of Brian Keene, James Herbert, or gripping horror stories, then I would recommend this.

Redaction: Extinction Level Event (Part I)
Redaction: Extinction Level Event (Part I)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad, 9 Dec 2013
Gave up a quarter of the way in. I don't want to sound mean, but I found the book poorly written with many mistakes. The story and characters were yawn-inducing and I had to re-read sentences or paragrapsh to understand what was supopsed to be happening.
There are better novels out there, sorry, this was a waste of time for me.

Nests: A Post Apocalyptic Thriller
Nests: A Post Apocalyptic Thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 9 Dec 2013
A great story, well written, and original.
I enjoyed this as it seemed very fresh. I certainly hadn't read anything like this before. It is well thought out and the characters have real depth.
I personally didn't like the ending, but hey, that's just my opinion and why it's a 4star not 5star review.
Good work, Barry.

Dead Air (The Dead Series Book 1)
Dead Air (The Dead Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 9 Dec 2013
If you want a simple read and like zombie novels, then go for it. It's entertaining enough and I found the story interesting, even laugh out loud funny at times.
There are a few irritating grammar errors, but that's a minor quibble. It's still better than many others out there.

Curse of Chucky [DVD] [2013]
Curse of Chucky [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Brad Dourif

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Curse of Chucky [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This film just got better and better as it went on. Why this didn't get a cinema release I don't know.

There is a dash of gore, but emphasis is on the story and scares. There is very little wrong with this film, although I'm pretty sure in one brief shot the wheelchair-bound main character walks. That aside, well worth watching, you won't be disappointed.

I may just have to put the DVD back in and watch it again already. And don't stop the player when the credits start rolling...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2013 5:59 PM GMT

Maniac [DVD]
Maniac [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by The Happy Zombie

4.0 out of 5 stars Gross, great and gory, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Maniac [DVD] (DVD)
I have not seen the original to compare it to, but I thought this was a great film. Visually very striking and disturbing, I thought Elijah Wood was surprisingly good and there are some terrific scenes. You almost find yourself on his side and have to remind yourself he is one sick puppy.
Well worth a watch.

Necrophobia #1 (Zombie Apocalypse)
Necrophobia #1 (Zombie Apocalypse)

2.0 out of 5 stars Done before, 12 Sep 2013
I hate to be negative but I gave up halfway through; what a boring, predictable, trite novel. I think the author wanted to write about guns, the US military, and more guns. There was the odd zombie thrown in, but really, it was all so pointless I couldn't care less about the plot or the tired old characters.
Plus points - it was written well, the author has taken care of his subject matter, and clearly cares about what he is writing. Far less mistakes than I often see these days.
Not for me though.