Profile for Lola31 > Reviews

Lego 70810 The Lego Movie MetalBeard's Sea Cow Pirate Ship
Lego 70810 The Lego Movie MetalBeard's Sea Cow Pirate Ship
Offered by TOYS ARE WE

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it from The Lego Shop!, 10 Jun 2014
This is such a fabulous Lego set. Whilst this is nothing like the Lego pirate ship I had in my youth (that I still pine for!), it is a formidable bit of kit, with some excellent mini figures.
This was bought for my 33 year old husband, as opposed to our 5 year old son - and I suspect I shall have to keep reminding him of the end of The Lego movie when it comes to playing! - but it is safe to say that it will be enjoyed by all in the household. Whilst I normally don't pay much mind to the age recommendations, younger children will certainly need assistance in building this.
As much as I love Amazon, please don't buy this through the sellers here (unless they drastically drop the price): you can buy it directly from The Lego Shop for £169.99, with free delivery!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2014 6:20 PM BST

tinxi® PU Leather Case for Apple New iPad Mini 2 (Retina Display) / iPad Mini Case Cover bag light green Owl
Offered by tinxi-shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, 7 Jun 2014
I love owls, so buying this was a no-brainer for me!
I had been looking for a folio type case for my iPad Mini (retina) with an elasticated strap to hold the cover in place. I initially thought the case fitting was a little loose, but with a little more force on my part I heard the Mini snap into place and it is secure. (I dangled it at a short distance above my bed to test!!) I like that the screen isn't obscured by the casing, like my previous case that covered the framework.
The stand gives you two options for the viewing angle, although, personally, I don't think there is much in it to make a difference. It does the job when I want to stream and view from Prime Instant.
My only gripe that stopped me from giving five stars is the position of the strap on the front cover. If it had been stitched on the rear cover this would allow the front cover to held in place when folded back, without obscuring the Mini's screen (I like to be able to do this when reading). However, I appreciate that it probably wasn't stitched to the rear as then it would obscure the rear camera. So, this comes down to a personal preference.
With regards to shipping, I received this within four working days from Germany to the UK, so I really can't fault the efficiency there.

Allegiant (Divergent Trilogy, Book 3)
Allegiant (Divergent Trilogy, Book 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed by change in writing style, 20 Mar 2014
For some reason Roth switched her writing style for Allegiant, telling it from the perspective of both Tris and Tobias. I've previously enjoyed books written in this format but it seems a peculiar point to change, particularly when it didn't add anything to the story (in my opinion).
In fact, the writing in general left me finding Tris and Tobias quite unlikable whilst reading! Tris seemed to become (even more) righteous, to the point of irritation, and Tobias seemed to lose all courage of his convictions, making him appear weak and indecisive. The overall theme was a repeat of Insurgent but lacked any real panache to keep me interested.
I did, however, think the ending was okay. Roth has touched upon the theme of sacrifice throughout the series, so the turn of the story seemed fitting. After all, happy endings aren't always possible, especially in a dystopian world!
Overall though, I felt quite let down by this book. Readers will inevitably want to know how the story ends, but may find it tough going by comparison to Divergent and Insurgent.

Kandle by Ozeri II in Black -- Designed for the Amazon Kindle (fits latest generation Kindle and all models), and other eBook readers
Offered by Ozeri UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 27 Jan 2014
I stumbled across the Kandle by Ozeri II quite by accident. However, I am so glad I did as it is a perfect companion for my Kindle 4.

The item lives up to its description of being lightweight, compact and providing an even glow over the screen (not something that could be said with my previous Mighty Bright MiniFlex Clip-On Light). Between the two light settings and the adjustable arm, I can create an ideal light by which to read. To the naysayers who complain the light does not cover the bottom of the screen, of course it diminishes slightly (as any light source clipped to the top would!), but I do not find my reading impaired by this. After all, that is where the two light settings come in (although, I find the dimmer of the two more than sufficient).

A push button action simply switches between the light settings and the auto-shut off when the lid is closed is a nice fall back.

The protective pouch and spare set of batteries are great additions (extra praise to Ozeri for including these).

I store my Kindle in a Marware Eco-Vue Cover and the Kandle clips nicely onto both the rear cover and Kindle.

Overall, I whole-heartedly recommend this product for use with Kindle (I cannot comment to other e-readers). If nothing else, it has saved me £96 on the price of an upgrade to a Paperwhite, when my Kindle 4 is still going strong!

Anker Liberty Frame Mount, 8 x 10-inch/ 5 x 7-inch
Anker Liberty Frame Mount, 8 x 10-inch/ 5 x 7-inch
Offered by MightyHousewares

3.0 out of 5 stars What one should expect for the price., 9 Nov 2013
This is a plastic frame, with chipboard backing and a perspex-type front. The backing is held in place by four rotatable clips (each with a hole, to presumably allow wall-hanging). It also has a free-stand for display in either portrait or landscape.

I used this for a 10" x 8" photo, so did not require the mount. Although, please don't expect a lot from the mount, for 7" x 5" photos, as it is merely a piece of paper with a perforated centre for removal.

The black and silver lining of the frame isn't a bad finish but the plastic does feel quite tacky. Also, when I ran a duster over the perspex to remove smudges there was a lot of give from the clips behind.

For a budget frame, this serves its purpose. However, it doesn't hold up to scrutiny and I certainly would not present it as a gift.

Marvel Avengers Assemble! Ultimate Sticker Book Meet the Team (Dk Marvel)
Marvel Avengers Assemble! Ultimate Sticker Book Meet the Team (Dk Marvel)
by DK DK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for both young and old fans!, 25 Sep 2013
Initially I thought this book was quite slim compared to other DK sticker books that I have purchased but I was more than happy with the content.

There are double-page spreads dedicated to Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Ant-Man and Wasp, then three pages for other characters. These pages contain silhouettes and captions to which you can find matching stickers (over 60 for this purpose). All of the stickers are named for ease: bold font for matching within the book; and regular font for personal use. There is also a page of 1.5cm square stickers (well over 150 of these).

The stickers do come away from the page, with care, if needing to reposition. However, I can't comment on the reusability beyond this as why would one want to take them out of the book afterwards?!

In addition to another reviewer's comment about the lack of Spider-Man stickers, the Spider-Man sticker shown on the front cover does NOT feature in the book. Indeed, there are only about half a dozen Spider-Man stickers contained within the small square stickers at the back of the book. If this is the favourite character of the recipient, you may wish to look for an alternative item.

Considering the cost of children's fortnightly magazines I would say this book is far better value for money and entertainment (especially when purchased at £3).

I purchased this for my five-year-old son who is currently superhero mad. Mind you, I'm a fan of Marvel myself so I enjoy working through the book with him!

Disney Pixar Cars 2-in-1 Double-Sided Travel Compact Snakes and Ladders/  Ludo Games
Disney Pixar Cars 2-in-1 Double-Sided Travel Compact Snakes and Ladders/ Ludo Games
Offered by PDK Toys, Games & Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!!, 8 May 2013
I bought this for my four-year old son in preparation for the summer holidays. The case snaps into place for game play and has handy drawers for the pieces. The die capsule sits in the handle and can be spun in this position; thus eliminating the possibility of losing the die. Pictorially, there are tyre marks and ramps in place of the snakes and ladders. I personally find the board designs very busy but my son loves it.

Overall, this item is fit for purpose and takes up very little room on travels. It is also perfectly fine for playing at home!

Phineas and Ferb-ulous: The Ultimate Album
Phineas and Ferb-ulous: The Ultimate Album
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD/DVD combination, 14 April 2013
This CD album is an extended version of the previous "Phineas and Ferb" soundtrack. It has an additional 13 songs, but is noticeably lacking the Title Theme (Today Is Gonna Be A Great Day). Whilst this is no doubt a marketing ploy to own both albums the additional 13 tracks are great (my son had already been gifted the soundtrack, so I didn't mind buying this one).

Plus, there is the added value of the DVD, the contents of which are:
- 20 music videos: Queen of Mars; Perry the Platypus; Little Brothers; Chains on Me; My Goody Two-Shoes Brother; Ready for The Bettys; S.I.M.P. (Squirrels In My Pants); Busted; He's A Bully; E.V.I.L. B.O.Y.S.; Gitchee Gitchee Goo; Backyard Beach; Phinedroids and Ferbots; When We Didn't Get Along; My Nemesis; Truck Drivin' Girl; Do Nothing Day; Ain't Got Rhythm; I Love You Mom; and My Undead Mummy;
- Trailer for "Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension"; and
- Season 3 Sneak Peeks, including a Season Trailer and Episode Snippets of "Birthday Clip O'Rama", "The Great Indoors" and "Canderemy".
The DVD playing time is 35 minutes: 20 for the music videos and 15 for the trailers/snippets.

If you don't already have the soundtrack, this is certainly the album to get (providing you can sacrifice the Title Theme). If you do already have the soundtrack, then I imagine the decision will be based on how insistent your children are (or, dare I say, how much you want it yourself!).

For my money, The Ultimate Album remains my car and the soundtrack remains at home, so my son can have Phineas and Ferb 24/7 (which is often the case!).

Lavazza Caffe Espresso Coffee Beans 250 g (Pack of 3)
Lavazza Caffe Espresso Coffee Beans 250 g (Pack of 3)
Offered by Sarahs Coffee Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Coffee will always be a personal taste, 1 April 2013
This is the first medium roast Espresso bean that have I have tried (naturally, dark roast usually being the first choice) and I am very happy with it.

I use these with a De'Longhi Magnifica bean-to-cup machine, therefore have the opportunity to adjust the strength per cup. (For those with a similar machine I use a third strength on the dial.) I drink Americano rather than Espresso and these beans produce a wonderfully smooth cup of coffee - with a great crema - and no bitter after taste. I by no means find it weak but coffee will always come down to personal taste. I expect, as an Espresso, this would have a lovely kick (and will no doubt try it when my morning needs a boost!).

Overall, I will certainly buy again based on taste and value (especially on Subscribe & Save).

Phineas And Ferb: Across The 1st And 2nd Dimensions
Phineas And Ferb: Across The 1st And 2nd Dimensions

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant CD from a brilliant show, 20 Mar 2013
My four-year old son is mad about Phineas & Ferb right now (and, admittedly, I love it too!). I was expecting this to be a soundtrack for the film only but it also has several tracks from across the series (especially 'Rollercoaster: The Musical', which is a favourite in our household).
The songs are fun, catchy and sing-along-able (!). My son listens to this every night before bed and most car journeys too.
I can't complain in the slightest and I am sure any fan will love it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3