Profile for S. Mogensen > Reviews

Content by S. Mogensen

S. Mogensen (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
AKORD® FREEVIEW HD DIGITAL TV AERIAL - HIGH GAIN - PORTABLE INDOOR DVB-T TELEVISION
Offered by Akord Technologies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great indoors aerial with good reception, 6 Dec. 2015
Very surprised at just how efficient this aerial is: We moved a TV to our bedroom where there is no aerial cable. Initially I bought a 32 element outdoor aerial which I positioned behind the TV, which resulted in seemingly random number of channels each time you scanned, from as low as 14 channels to 92 channels. Due to complaints about the big aerial, I decided to try the Akord TV aerial in conjunction with a signal booster.
When the Akord aerial arrived I was very sceptical - it is much smaller than I had expected - however it works great. Maybe we are just lucky that the window I put the aerial on is facing directly towards the transmitter (which is 25 miles away) but somehow this small indoors aerial gives us a better signal than the 32 element outdoors aerial; consistently finding 148 Freeview channels, of which 94 are TV channels. It doesn't even need the signal booster I bought.
Had the room not had a window facing the transmitter then the experience may have been much different - but as is I simply cannot fault this aerial.

Philex 27811HSG 1-Way Signal Booster for TV and 4G Device
Philex 27811HSG 1-Way Signal Booster for TV and 4G Device

3.0 out of 5 stars Boosts signal strength - not signal quality, 6 Dec. 2015
Cannot really fault this booster. Didn't fully appreciate that a signal depends on both strength and quality - what this booster does is boost the strength but obviously cannot improve the quality, so if you have signal quality issues then this booster just gives you a stronger signal with the same quality issues.
It does however do exactly what it was meant to do and boosts the signal strength, which can be very helpful when routing your aerial signal through multiple devices such as through a DVR then on to the TV; by using the booster before the DVR it ensures that a strong signal is received by the TV.

Flying PurrSuit Feather Cat Toy- LONG 39" Single Rod with plastic clip (no metal pin) and handle

5.0 out of 5 stars Our cats' new favourite toy, 9 Oct. 2015
Bought the Flying Frenzy on a recommendation from a colleague and both of our cats absolutely love it. Have had several "stick toys" before that the cats have played with varying levels of enthusiasm, but none of them have compared to the Flying Frenzy.

One thing to note though is that it requires a lot of space. The stick is longer than other toys we own and to fully simulate a flying motion it really takes quite a bit of space - the cats seem to ignore their surroundings and just throw themselves through the air at the feathers, so plenty of space required, and don't have anything standing nearby that can easily be knocked down.

A slight downside (not limiting the 5 stars though) is that one of the feathers seems to have snapped (90% through) already with first 2 days - but I don't know how much more you could expect from a feather. Once it snaps completely I expect the 2 halves can be reattached with a bit of toothpick and some glue.

BitFenix 20cm Molex to 3x 3-Pin Adapter - Sleeved Blue/Blue
BitFenix 20cm Molex to 3x 3-Pin Adapter - Sleeved Blue/Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Good adaptor, decent built quality, does the job., 24 Oct. 2014
Kind of hard to decide between 4 and 5 stars for a small cable: It works and does what it's supposed to do.

Had a HTPC that was running slightly hot (had a 1.5 year old disk fail even though temps didn't go beyond 50 degrees celcius). The case has 2 fans, but the motherboard only had one fan plug... adding the BitFenix adaptor gives 3 more plugs, and as a result the temperature of both CPU cores and disk drives dropped 5-8 degrees (which will hopefully extend the lifespan of my remaining drives).

If you have more case fans than available 3-pin plugs on your motherboard then I highly recommend this adaptor.

Crown of Renewal (Paladin's Legacy)
Crown of Renewal (Paladin's Legacy)
by Elizabeth Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable end to the series, 24 Oct. 2014
I found Crown of Renewal to be an enjoyable read. Some of the threads being tied off seemed a bit abrupt but all in all good closure to the series. I rate the Deeds of Paksenarrion books as better than the Paladin's Legacy books, but still recommend the latter to anyone who enjoyed the former - if you haven't read the former, then please start with those before continuing with the latter.

Looking forward to what comes next from Elizabeth Moon.

Thinblade (Sovereign of the Seven Isles Book 1)
Thinblade (Sovereign of the Seven Isles Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Emotionless shallow characters, 15 Oct. 2014
This review is based on the first 17% of Thinblade - I simply gave up on wasting any more time on it. It could in theory have gotten better later in the book.

There is no depth of character to any of the characters encountered. There is no individuality, i.e. all characters seem the same. What should have come across as a stressful flight for life seems more like a weekly shopping trip to the nearest town.

There is no emotional display what so ever after the parents have sacrificed themselves to allow their children to escape. There is an attempt at making the lead appear to be distraught the first time he kills someone, yet after that he is a stone faced killer; and his sister has no such issues, happily assassinating enemies with her bow.

The book seemed like a badly played AD&D session - the type where everything is done by numbers and statistics but without any role play.

Would not recommend.

Happypet CAT002-2 Cat Scratcher Cat Tree Activity Centre Scratching Post medium-sized 1,80 tall Beige
Offered by PRIMOPET GmbH

4.0 out of 5 stars Tall and stable tree, 24 Jan. 2014
I bought the CAT002-2 tree to encourage our cats to spend more time with us in our home office, and they immediately took to it. The tree is very tall yet much more stable than other trees we've had in the past.

The instructions were a bit complex and I had to go back to the Amazon site to see pictures of the finished tree a couple of times while building it.

There are 3 mice hanging on elastic strings, and one was pulled off within the first 5 minutes, the remaining 2 had been pulled off over night and were lying on the floor the next morning. The cats did enjoy playing with the mice while they were there, but the addition of the mice to the tree seems to bring down the overall quality of the purchase.

Stanley Classic Mug, 0.53 L - Green
Stanley Classic Mug, 0.53 L - Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mug but NOT dishwasher safe as advertised!!, 2 Sept. 2013
The product description on this page WRONGLY states that the mug is dishwasher safe - however, the "Care & Use" booklet for the mug spells out in capital letters: "DO NOT PLACE IN DISHWASHER"!

Otherwise, this is a good mug but be aware that it is NOT dishwasher safe.

Limits of Power: Paladin's Legacy: Book Four
Limits of Power: Paladin's Legacy: Book Four
by Elizabeth Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read but slow story progress, 2 Sept. 2013
Picked up Limits of Power to read on the plane when going on holiday, and it was a very enjoyable read. The only downside being impatience on my part and wanting the book to be longer!

When I say "slow story progress" in the title, in no way do I mean to imply that nothing happens in the book - it keeps a good pace throughout. However, afterwards, you are left with the feeling that the overall story did not progress much.

Would I recommend the book? Definitely! Will I buy the next book as soon as it's available? Yes! Would I like the book to be 3 times as big? Yes (but not at the cost of waiting 3 times as long for the book to be written).

NETGEAR XAVB1301-100UKS 200 Mbps Mini Powerline ( 1 item)
NETGEAR XAVB1301-100UKS 200 Mbps Mini Powerline ( 1 item)

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant speed-up of my Samsung TV, 8 Oct. 2012
My 4-5 years old Samsung TV sometimes seem to struggle when I stream media of my media server, and about once a month (or every two months) it forgets that the network connection is wireless and defaults to wired.

Anyway. I bought the powerline adapter in an attempt at fixing the connection to my TV, and must admit that I'm impressed. The booklet that comes with the adapter tells you to only use it directly in a mains plug, but even through an extension cord I have a much better connection to my TV than I did with wireless. Navigating the media server content through the TV appears to be quicker but not sure that's really the case, or whether I just want it to be quicker.

The only downside to the adapter is that it takes up a power plug, but as mentioned it appears to work fine through a power adapter rather than directly in the wall plug.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3