Profile for Poison Ivy > Reviews

Content by Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy (Switzerland)

Namibia (Bradt Travel Guides)
Namibia (Bradt Travel Guides)
by Chris Mcintyre

5.0 out of 5 stars No complains from me: this book was great!, 26 May 2009
Before heading off to Namibia, my partner and I wanted to get a guidebook that would help us planning a self driving trip across the Country. I remember being in a bookshop in London considering all the options: Lonely Planet, Footprint and Bradt. Before then, I had never heard of Bradt and, being a happy Lonely Planet customer, I was a bit sceptic in trying something different. But the Lonely Planet guide for Namibia was really a bit thin. Hence along with the Lonely Planet guide to Botswana and Namibia, we decided to buy the Bradt guide too. And what a great investment that was! With the exception of the Caprivi and the Kavango, we have travelled across the entire Namibia, and I can honestly say we could never have done it without the Bradt travel guide. This book is well written, easy to use and the information given accurate. The Lonely Planet guide in comparison is rather sparse, with out of date info (many of the phone number provided by Lonely Planet were no longer in use!). I have been thoroughly satisfied with the Bradt guidebook to Namibia and I can highly recommend. I have been a fan of Lonely Planet in the past, but after this experience I will with no doubt look for Bradt guides first in the future: well done Bradt!

South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
by Mary Fitzpatrick

2.0 out of 5 stars not up to standard, 16 May 2009
This guidebook is useful enough if people are intending to stick to the popular tourist routes when visiting South Africa. However for the traveller that is more interested in off the beaten track experience, this LP guide does not offer enough to go by. Their section on the Northern Cape is particularly deficient. And in the case of the Namaqualand area, the information given is downright inaccurate. For example, LP states that there are only a couple of buses per week departing from Springbok. Well, I have now lived in SA for 4 years, and I can guarantee this not to be the case. There are, in fact, two buses and several mini-bus taxi companies that offer transportation everyday to and from Springbok! LP you need to do your research better: not all people are interested in visiting solely the Kruger and the Garden Route!

Botswana: Okavango Delta· Chobe· Northern Kalahari (Bradt Travel Guides)
Botswana: Okavango Delta· Chobe· Northern Kalahari (Bradt Travel Guides)
by Chris Mcintyre

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Essential, 1 May 2009
Bradt Travel Guides have done it again! Their latest entry in their increasingly wonderful catalogue, the Botswana Travel Guide, represents another great example of how a travel guide should be: detailed, informative and exhaustive. By using almost exclusively their Botswana guide I was able to plan my self-driving trip down to the last detail. Botswana is not an easy Country to explore on your own steam, but with the help of the Bradt travel guide I was able to reach even the most remote and inaccessible areas as the guide has easy to read maps and gives precise directions, even offering GPS coordinates. Anyone considering a trip to the northern part of this breathtaking country (in particular the Okavango Delta, the Chobe National Park, the Moremi Game Reserve, the Great Salt Pans, the Central Kalahari Game Reserve and the Tsodilo Hills) look no further: the Bradt Travel Guide to Botswana is the only guidebook you need.

Zambia (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
Zambia (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
by David Else

1.0 out of 5 stars Very frustrating, 1 May 2009
I wanted to visit Zambia and I was looking for a guide book that would help me planning the trip reliably. As Lonely Planet has an established reputation I thought it would be a safe bet buying their travel guide. But what a disappointment! Their travel guide to Zambia does not even cover the whole country! And even for the area that is covered by the guide, the information given is really basic and not very helpful. I wanted to know, for example, if there were any cheap accommodation, such as campsites, inside the National Parks, but Lonely Planet only mentioned up market lodges inside the park and gave only few cheap alternatives outside the parks. If I would have solely relied on their guide book I would have ended up staying outside the parks! Moreover for somebody that is planning a self-driving trip, the Lonely Planet guide does not give sufficient details on how to reach many of the destinations. Good thing I also bought the Bradt Travel guide, which is much more complete and by far more useful. For anyone planning a trip to Zambia I have only one suggestion: there is only one guidebook you need to consider and that is the Bradt travel guide. Forget the Lonely Planet one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2012 7:26 PM GMT

Botswana and Namibia (Lonely Planet Multi Country Guides)
Botswana and Namibia (Lonely Planet Multi Country Guides)
by Paula Hardy

1.0 out of 5 stars a big disappoinment, 1 May 2009
I always regarded Lonely Planet as one of the best travel guides publishers and I have been thoroughly satisfied with many of their guidebooks in the past. However, recently I have been increasingly disappointed with their efforts. One of these disappointments is without a doubt their Botswana and Namibia Multicounty Guide, which, in my opinion is one of their weakest so far. Not only the information on the two Countries is minimal (to say the least), but in many cases is downright inaccurate. Luckily, though, for my visit to Namibia I had with me also the far superior Bradt travel guide, which I ended up relying on entirely. Not only the information in the Bradt guide is more up-to-date, but is also more accessible and more detailed. Namibia is a beautiful Country that offers many hidden gems and off-the-beaten-track opportunities, but armed only with the Lonely Planet Guide, I would have ended up missing a lot of them. And how could not this be the case, when Lonely Planet offers a guide that covers two Countries in 424 pages, while Bradt dedicates to Namibia on its own a staggering 528 pages! For my trip to Botswana I will with no doubt take along the Bradt travel guide and leave the Lonely Planet one at home.