Profile for Kevan James > Reviews

All Night Drive
All Night Drive
Price: 13.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Country? Jazz? Rock? Dunno! But it's great!!, 21 Jun 2011
This review is from: All Night Drive (Audio CD)
Found this little lot one day when looking at some bits and pieces on the 'net. No idea what to class it as: it's got some country vibes, lots of swinging jazz (just listen to "Gypsy Funk", it's enough to make you buy the album by itself!), even some southern rock sounds. The band class it as JamGrass but whatever you decide to call it, if you enjoy well played music I think you're going to like this.

Whitewater Ramble features mandolin, acoustic guitar, upright bass, fiddle and drums, with vocals supplied by four of the players. Would really like to catch these guys playing live, it sounds like they'd be in their element in a live setting.

Marvellous stuff, highly recommended!

Your Money & My Good Looks
Your Money & My Good Looks
Price: 16.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Great Voices, One Great Album!, 17 Jun 2011
I was loathe to call this my favourite album of the year in the title of this review as I had recently said the same about the latest release by The Roys but this is truly a fantastic collection worthy of that accolade!

The duets with Rhonda Vincent that appeared on Gene Watson's most recent albums ("Together Again" and "Staying Together") demonstrated that these two voices were truly made for one another. And having recently had the pleasure of seeing them perform almost all the tracks from this album live in Nashville, I can say that they obviously enjoy working together.

This is a very strong collection of songs and as I like all the tracks it's difficult to pick some songs over others but I'll give special mention to "Gone For Good" because Rhonda's voice is just so pure and clear that it brought a tear to my eye, "Till The End" because it's just such a great song (and even better than the version that Alan Jackson and Lee Ann Womack produced last year), and "My Sweet Love Ain't Around" for the fantastic instrumental play out. The great band who perform on this album also get to shine on the closing instrumental track "Ashes of Mt. Augustine".

I've tried to avoid making reference to the great country male/female duos over the years but it's difficult not to when you're talking about "Sweet Thang", a great song previously recorded by Ernest Tubb and Loretta Lynn. It's got such a great vibe about it it's difficult not to love it! Best track on the album? I think so!!

If you enjoy more traditional country with strong vocals this is the album for you! Highly recommended!

Anniversary Celebration
Anniversary Celebration
Price: 7.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Could fave been SO much better!, 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Anniversary Celebration (Audio CD)
There's a lot to like about this album but it leaves me longing for what might have been.

High spots are the tracks with Alan Jackson on "Better Class of Losers/She's Got the Rhythm" (an inspired choice of songs to string together in a medley - and it's interesting to hear these two country greats swap lines), Jamey Johnson on "A Few Ole Country Boys" (and if you know the original you'll probably smile at Randy taking the 'ole' part in this version), Kris and Willie on "Road to Surrender", and Josh Turner does a great job on "T.I.M.E", surely a future single?

The bulk of the rest of the album is OK but nothing particularly special.

But there are a couple of big question marks - why do we get the very dull Kenny Chesney adding nothing to "He Walked on Water" and the very overrated Carrie Underwood absolutely killing "Is It Still Over?" when true country greats like George Jones, Gene Watson, Ray Price, Connie Smith, and Lorrie Morgan get to add only one or two lines each to "Didn't We Shine"?? I'm sure the answer will have more to do with making some cash for the record than it has to do with marking this anniversary.

So, it's generally a fun album but very much a missed opportunity.

Lonesome Whistle
Lonesome Whistle
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album of the Year so Far!, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Lonesome Whistle (MP3 Download)
What a great album! Though I had heard of The Roys before getting this CD I didn't realise that this was actually their third album. Fancy an act as good as this not being huge stars!

This is a bluegrass-y tinged album (whereas their previous release, "Good Days", was more mainstream country) with both brother (Lee) and sister (Elaine) sharing lead vocals. It's not often I like every track on an album but I really can't say I dislike anything on this one. Favourites are "Give a Ride To the Devil", "Right Back at You", and the title track.

And if you're not very keen on religious messages in your country music, this probably isn't the album for you! Some tracks highlight this for you, "I Wonder What God's Thinking", whilst in others it sort of slips in - ""That's What Makes It Love".

Album of the year so far for me, but I can't let the cover go unmentioned. There's the two of 'em sitting side by side on a low wall - but he looks like a giant, even though they're of similar height in real life! Makes me smile everytime I see it!

This Is Country Music
This Is Country Music
Price: 6.74

3.0 out of 5 stars Paisley By Numbers, 31 May 2011
This review is from: This Is Country Music (Audio CD)
I first heard Brad Paisley in America in about 2004, at which point my country music experience was limited to the greats like Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, and Johnny Cash, and the quirky like Kinky Friedman. Paisley was the first of the more recent singers I heard and thought, "Yeah, I like that!". And I did - his first four albums (up to "Time Well Wasted") really hit the spot for me: well played, interesting lyrics, and not so far from out-and-out rock music to grate. Sadly, since "Time Well Wasted" I've found his albums to be very repetitive and too reliant on school boy humour to be of interest.

Once again, on "This is Country Music" too many of the tracks sound just too much like tracks he's produced before and I'm left thinking, "Blimey, this is familiar!". There's also too much humour again for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I like a humourous song, but one on an album is quite enough. And I like my humour to be clever and not juvenile ("Be The Lake", for example - could have been written by a 12 year old school boy!). Still, at least he now seems to have dropped the very unfunny Kung Pao Buckeroos sketches that littered his earlier releases.

I do like some of the album - "A Man Don't Have to Die" is a fine song and "One of Those Lives" has a classic country 'appreciate what you've got' theme. And this album's religious song is an absolute corker - "Life's Railway to Heaven" featuring Marty Stuart and Sheryl Crow is a great up-tempo bluegrass-y gospel number.

Aside from Stuart and Crow, the album also features guest spots from Carrie Underwood (on the dreary "Remind Me"), Don Henley on "Love Her Like She's Leavin'" (good song, similar sentiment to "Waiting on a Woman" from a few years back, but I can't really say Henley was used to any great advantage), and Blake Shelton on "Don't Drink The Water" (not as interesting a track as I had expected it to be!). Oh, and Clint Eastwood ... erm, whistles .. on the instrumental "Eastwood"!

All in all it's not a terrible album, but not one I can imagine playing often.

Memories To Burn / Starting New Memories
Memories To Burn / Starting New Memories
Price: 13.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent 2-on-1 collection from Gene Watson, 13 May 2011
Hux Records have been good to Gene Watson fans over the years, releasing a number of these 'two albums on one CD' collections. This one comprises "Memories to Burn" from 1985 and "Starting New Memories" from 1986, both appearing on CD for the first time.

For me, neither album are as strong as some of his earlier releases but there's enough good songs to make this a good listen. Favourites from "Memories to Burn" are the title track, "If I Painted a Picture", and "Stranger in our House Tonight". Also on this album is fan favourite "Carmen" (not a hugely strong song to my ears - was it used for a line dance?).

"Starting New Memories" is possibly a slightly stronger collection, with stand-out tracks being the title track, "Everything I Used To Do", and "Almost Like Having You Here".

Excellent value addition to any Gene Watson collection!

Craig Campbell
Craig Campbell
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 14.06

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Debut!, 7 April 2011
This review is from: Craig Campbell (Audio CD)
I was lucky enough to see Craig Campbell playing in a small bar in Nashville a couple of years ago. I bought the self produced CD he was selling and play it a lot. Now he's been signed to a major label, appeared at the Opry, and finally releases a 'proper' album ..... evidence that 'overnight' success really is possible!

This is a really fine debut. Produced by Keith Stegell (best known for his work with Alan Jackson) and featuring mostly self written, or co-written songs, it's a very strong collection of songs. The big hit single "Family Man" will be best known but there are even better tracks than that! The stand out songs for me are "You Probably Ain't", "My Little Cowboy", and "That Going Away Look (About Her)". And have a listen to "Fish" and tell me that he isn't thinking of something else!!!

Great album! And if you like this I would recommend tracking down a copy of his first self released album, which features a number of great songs not featured here!

34 Number Ones
34 Number Ones
Price: 11.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Great One For The Car!, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: 34 Number Ones (Audio CD)
You can't seem to escape from 'best of' compilations by country artists - I'm sure this must be the 5th or 6th collection of Alan Jackson's hits. And I ask myself, as I always do, who are these collections aimed at? The obsessive collector who must have everything? The person who has never bought a Jackson CD but fancies a 'best of' collection? Someone in between? Or all of them? Who knows! But at the price, for me, this is a great collection to keep in the car.

Wow, what a great back catalouge this guy has! I read a review elsewhere (the US Amazon site possibly) where the reviewer complained that just including the hits meant that many classic songs from other albums that are better than some of the singles were being ignored. A good point, but this collection has so many great songs I can imagine many new comers to Jackson's music using it as springboard to other parts of his output.

So, lots of classic songs. It's difficult to pick particular favourites but "She's Got the Rhythm (I've Got the Blues)" always makes me smile for it's slightly ironic 'Yeehaw', "Midnight in Montgomery" is a homage to Hank Williams, and "Good Time" ..... well, yeah, good time music!

As for the new tracks, his take on "Ring of Fire" is OK but the original is so iconic, it's difficult not to compare any new version. The track with the Zac Brown Band, "As She's Walking Away", is a great single (from a great album!).

So, does the world need another Alan Jackson compilation? When it's as good as this one, and at that price, my answer is yes! If you've never heard Alan Jackson before, this is the ideal place to start!

The Best of the West Rides Again
The Best of the West Rides Again
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Introduction to the Riders!, 1 Dec 2010
For over 30 years Ranger Doug (guitar and yodel), Too Slim (bunkhouse bass), and Woody Paul (fiddle) have been treading the boards as Riders in the Sky, America's (and possibly the World's) Favourite Cowboys*. This is one of two compilations featuring an hour of highlights from their first five albums.

If you haven't heard Riders in the Sky before they're three (later four*) guys who dress up as cowboys (1930s and 40s Hollywood cowboys, not the Clint Eastwood style) and sing three and four part harmonies, with a large number of yodels thrown in, and some superb instrumentation, probably best known for the work on the "Woody's Round-up" part of "Toy Story 2".

Lots to enjoy on this collection, which features a variety of classic old cowboy songs and originals, and I'm sure you'll be surprised how many of those classic songs you'll know without realising it! And although the thought of listening to someone yodelling might seem odd, it fits in so well with the style of music, that you soon begin to listen out for it.

I would highly recommend this album if you've not heard Riders before, along with its companion piece "Best of the West", and then suggest you try "A Great Big Western Howdy", one of my favourite albums ever!!

*Latterly they've been joined by Joey the Cow Polka King on accordian, but he doesn't feature on these recordings.

Best of the West
Best of the West
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way to Meet The Riders!, 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: Best of the West (Audio CD)

Lots to enjoy on this collection, which features many classic old cowboy songs, and I'm sure you'll be surprised how many of them you know without realising it! And although the thought of listening to someone yodelling might seem odd, it fits in so well with the style of music, that you soon begin to listen out for it.

I would highly recommend this album if you've not heard Riders before, along with its companion piece "Best of the West Rides Again", and then suggest "A Great Big Western Howdy", one of my favourite albums ever!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20