Profile for A. Boylett > Reviews

Content by A. Boylett

A. Boylett "andyboylett" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Jim Dunlop 95Q Crybaby Wah Wah Pedal
Jim Dunlop 95Q Crybaby Wah Wah Pedal
Offered by RockGear
Price: 106.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Come back Baby, all is forgiven!, 7 July 2014
After having one particularly embarrassing night at a gig where I played 4 songs sounding like I was playing through a transistor radio before realising that I had stupidly left my Wah switched on, I ditched my Crybaby in favour of a Morley Bad Horsie. The Morley never sounded how I though a proper wah should, but at least it only worked when I wanted it to.

Then after all these years, I stumbled across the 95Q which had the same switching system and after all those unfulfilling years with a Bad Horsie, I'm finally back in the saddle! Love this wah so much as it sounds great and has put me back in touch with my inner funky self (was going to say Shaft but that sounded a bit rude) and my solos have gone from gash to Slash!

Not only does this have the switching I love but it's also adjustable in terms of wah sweep and engaged level (although I've not really used these features much). It also has a mains power inlet, unlike my original CryBaby which only ran on batteries which involved removal of at least 3 feet to change (and the only time I ever want to remove feet is when my wife has been out feeding her shoe habit!).

The only drawback I can see to this pedal is that you can't leave it on half cocked but I don't think that would be a problem for 99% of players (certainly not for me) so I can only recommend this 100%.

Hero (Blu-ray)
Hero (Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Jet Li
Price: 7.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, beautiful movie, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Hero (Blu-ray) (Blu-ray)
Just a quick review- this is an awesome, beautifully shot movie, worth buying for the fight in the forest scene alone.

It has a great story and a great cast and for me is one of my favourite movies of all time. The visuals are stunning with each sub-story being told in a different colour palette, making the movie a visual feast, especially on blu-ray (which I bought to replace my DVD version). The fight scenes are other-worldly and so well choreographed (especially the scene fought over the still mirror-like lake).

Can't recommend this film enough. For me this is the best of the bunch of all of the "Crouching Tiger" type films and if that is your bag then this is unmissable!

Buy it.

PadStand Black - The Ultra Portable Stand for iPad / iPad 2 / iPhone with feather soft surface and integrated charging slot

3.0 out of 5 stars Fixed angle but does the job, 10 May 2014
Bought this for my mum as she is paralysed down one side and cannot hold the i-pad that we bought for her. This is OK but unfortunately, as it is a fixed angle, it was not quite what we needed, especially for FaceTime when it would not hold the iPad at a steep enough angle for mum to see and be seen by the camera.

The product itself is moulded from sturdy hard wearing and good gripping rubber so there is nothing to criticise construction-wise.

It was a cheap and cheerful solution but not quite right for us so we bought another more adjustable stand that did the job. Might work fine for you though, depending on your needs.

Paramore
Paramore
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album. Great songs. Great Ukelele. :-), 10 May 2014
This review is from: Paramore (Audio CD)
This is probably Paramore's most commercial and accessible album, which will probably annoy the purists that want to keep Paramore for themselves, but this record is packed with great rock songs, like "Ain't It Fun" and "Still Into You" interspersed with cute ukelele songs like "I'm Not Angry Anymore" and "Moving On". I think it's a very positive, upbeat record that still has enough edge and attitude to keep it ticking all the right rock boxes.

The songs are full of good ideas and interesting, punchy production, topped by some great vocals from lead singer Hayley Williams.

Nothing not to like here. Buy it.

5m Power Mains Pc LCD TV Kettle Cable Lead 3 Pin IEC
5m Power Mains Pc LCD TV Kettle Cable Lead 3 Pin IEC
Offered by TechWareGames
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Long enough for the job. Perfect., 10 May 2014
It's a power cable, what's to review? :-)

For my money though, I bought these to power some LED lights and PA speakers that sit on stands 6 or 7 feet up and the cables supplied got nowhere near the floor. These 5m cables sorted the problem perfectly and have more than enough to run to an available power source.

They're sturdy with well made/moulded fittings. No complaints at all.

Mac Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter cable (VIDEO + AUDIO converter for Unibody Apple MacBook - Pro - Air - iMac + PC with Mini DP etc.) *** Supports new THUNDERBOLT port *** NEW WITH AUDIO *** by AKORD
Offered by Akord Technologies Ltd
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Did the job great., 10 May 2014
Bought this to connect my Macbook to my TV and it works a charm and didn't cost an arm and a leg like the Apple stuff. No complaints at all. :-)

A Perfect Contradiction
A Perfect Contradiction
Offered by Crawley Music
Price: 11.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Phoenix from the Flames! :-), 10 May 2014
This review is from: A Perfect Contradiction (Audio CD)
Firstly, let me say a little about my "contradictory" Paloma History - loved the first album so much, hated the second album in equal measures (as you can read in my Fall to Grace review). On this basis, I approached her third release with some trepidation - would it be a return to form or a reason to give up the ghost and move on from an artist that I always felt was probably one of the best soul singers this country had ever produced. Well, I'm happy to report that this record is a TOUR DE FORCE of an album!

From the first tight funky groove of "Just Can't Rely on You" (which nods, nay headbands firmly in the direction of Beyonce's "Work It Out") to the last Prince-ly groove of "It's the Not Knowing", this record just never relents in delivering great songs with respectful, tasteful production topped off with Paloma's pristine vocals added the final flawless cherry on the cake. Can't tell you how excellent I think this record is. I actually think it's a classic that should rocket her deservedly to superstardom. I hope this shifts the volume that it deserves to shift, both here and in the USA (who I would think would drink in this album like a man in a desert with a glass of cool water).

This record picks up the 60s soul baton that Amy Winehouse laid down with Back to Black and brings it firmly up to date, making it relevant and eminently danceable. I saw Paloma live on her Fall To Grace tour in Ipswich and the audience sat through the gig respectfully for the most part but rarely got too excited. I suspect when she tours this album people will be up on their feet throughout because these songs are undeniable and the energy in them is palpable.

Paloma's back. Maybe I should have had more Faith. :-)

Dell C1660W Wireless Colour Laser Printer (12ppm)
Dell C1660W Wireless Colour Laser Printer (12ppm)
Offered by Boosh 365 Ltd
Price: 119.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer and great value, 11 Mar 2014
Decided to invest in a laser printer as my Epson printer/scanner/fax was getting so little use that the print head kept drying out and the print quality was hopeless!

I did a bit of searching and found this, a wireless colour laser printer for about 80! You can't complain about that really and I must say that I was not disappointed. Delivery from my chosen supplier took a little longer than I would have liked but, once here, set up was easy and printing is a doodle from my Macbook or my laptop.

Print quality is very good although I don't do much colour printing so I can't really say what the colour print quality is like in any detail, but the colour photos and things that I have printed seem fine to me. It may not be the fastest printer on the market, but it's certainly respectable and it came complete with a set of low capacity cartridges, which I have not had to replace yet (although I'm sure that when I do, I will probably not be so happy about the price of refills - but that's a given with any printer).

For my uses though, so far this has been a great little printer for not a lot of money and I would certainly recommend it.

Sky High
Sky High
Price: 21.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Super heroes and super songs. What's not to like?, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Sky High (Audio CD)
After watching this film on a lazy sunday afternoon with nothing better to do, I was quite impressed with some of the songs I could hear on the soundtrack in the background, so I decided to pick up a copy of this on the cheap, as this is a few years old now.

The cd starts with Bowling For Soup doing a passable impression of, well, Bowling For Soup, who I love, so nothing wrong with that really but not one of their greatest songs. Things move on from there in a similar vein. Lots of modern sounding, well produced, guitar-led pop.

This CD does seem to be predominantly a lot of unknown/lesser known artists doing generally fairly faithful cover versions of songs by well known 80s bands, with varying levels of success. For me the standouts are The Click Five's rocked up version of the Thompson Twins "Lies", Vitamin C's version of Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry" and Caleigh Peter's version of "Just What I Needed" by The Cars. Artists covered in similar fashion are The Smiths, Spandau Ballet, Tears for Fears, The Beat and Talking Heads among others.

All in all though, it's a generally listenable teen/punk/pop romp which will give you something to bop about to in the car on a summers day. If you like Bowling For Soup and respectable covers of english new wave bands then it's definitely worth buying.

HERCULES STANDS MIC. STAND WITH H-SHAPED BASE & QUIK-N-EZ ADAPTOR MS201B Pa Accessories Mic Stands
Offered by 1to1music
Price: 25.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to assemble, easy to use, great features and great value!, 11 Mar 2014
I bought one of these for my wife to use in our band after having bought 2 cheaper (but at the current price of this stand now of about 40, not by much) mike stands, both of which were impossible to adjust the height easily. Having seen this for a great price and having used a Hercules stand with a grip adjuster before, I decided to treat the Mrs to stand No.3 and, having just received it and put it together, I love this.

It literally took 30 seconds to assemble, it has a great sturdy round H-shaped base (I assume for close stacking with other stands) , has a simple to use cable clip on the bottom section and has a quick-fit mike holder that friction locks to the top of the stand over the traditional standard mike holder threaded connector (so you can use an existing mike holder if you prefer).

Every aspect of this mike stand has obviously been so well thought through by the people at Hercules. Even the cable clip has been simplified to allow you to fit a cable without having to rip the skin off your fingers by removing the whole thing from the stand as you do with the old style clips. Such a simple design but so clever and effective!

All these features coupled with the grip height adjuster must make this the best straight mike stand on the market bar none. I know my wife's gonna love it too. It can only make me repeat the chant of the Nutty Professor's mum - "Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!" :-)

Buy it, you won't regret it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8