Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for A. Boylett > Reviews

Content by A. Boylett

A. Boylett "andyboylett" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Dell C1660W Wireless Colour Laser Printer (12ppm)
Dell C1660W Wireless Colour Laser Printer (12ppm)
Offered by Office Partner GmbH_1

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer and great value, 11 Mar. 2014
Decided to invest in a laser printer as my Epson printer/scanner/fax was getting so little use that the print head kept drying out and the print quality was hopeless!

I did a bit of searching and found this, a wireless colour laser printer for about £80! You can't complain about that really and I must say that I was not disappointed. Delivery from my chosen supplier took a little longer than I would have liked but, once here, set up was easy and printing is a doodle from my Macbook or my laptop.

Print quality is very good although I don't do much colour printing so I can't really say what the colour print quality is like in any detail, but the colour photos and things that I have printed seem fine to me. It may not be the fastest printer on the market, but it's certainly respectable and it came complete with a set of low capacity cartridges, which I have not had to replace yet (although I'm sure that when I do, I will probably not be so happy about the price of refills - but that's a given with any printer).

For my uses though, so far this has been a great little printer for not a lot of money and I would certainly recommend it.

Sky High
Sky High

4.0 out of 5 stars Super heroes and super songs. What's not to like?, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Sky High (Audio CD)
After watching this film on a lazy sunday afternoon with nothing better to do, I was quite impressed with some of the songs I could hear on the soundtrack in the background, so I decided to pick up a copy of this on the cheap, as this is a few years old now.

The cd starts with Bowling For Soup doing a passable impression of, well, Bowling For Soup, who I love, so nothing wrong with that really but not one of their greatest songs. Things move on from there in a similar vein. Lots of modern sounding, well produced, guitar-led pop.

This CD does seem to be predominantly a lot of unknown/lesser known artists doing generally fairly faithful cover versions of songs by well known 80s bands, with varying levels of success. For me the standouts are The Click Five's rocked up version of the Thompson Twins "Lies", Vitamin C's version of Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry" and Caleigh Peter's version of "Just What I Needed" by The Cars. Artists covered in similar fashion are The Smiths, Spandau Ballet, Tears for Fears, The Beat and Talking Heads among others.

All in all though, it's a generally listenable teen/punk/pop romp which will give you something to bop about to in the car on a summers day. If you like Bowling For Soup and respectable covers of english new wave bands then it's definitely worth buying.

Hercules MS201B Microphone Stand
Hercules MS201B Microphone Stand
Offered by 1to1music

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to assemble, easy to use, great features and great value!, 11 Mar. 2014
I bought one of these for my wife to use in our band after having bought 2 cheaper (but at the current price of this stand now of about £40, not by much) mike stands, both of which were impossible to adjust the height easily. Having seen this for a great price and having used a Hercules stand with a grip adjuster before, I decided to treat the Mrs to stand No.3 and, having just received it and put it together, I love this.

It literally took 30 seconds to assemble, it has a great sturdy round H-shaped base (I assume for close stacking with other stands) , has a simple to use cable clip on the bottom section and has a quick-fit mike holder that friction locks to the top of the stand over the traditional standard mike holder threaded connector (so you can use an existing mike holder if you prefer).

Every aspect of this mike stand has obviously been so well thought through by the people at Hercules. Even the cable clip has been simplified to allow you to fit a cable without having to rip the skin off your fingers by removing the whole thing from the stand as you do with the old style clips. Such a simple design but so clever and effective!

All these features coupled with the grip height adjuster must make this the best straight mike stand on the market bar none. I know my wife's gonna love it too. It can only make me repeat the chant of the Nutty Professor's mum - "Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!" :-)

Buy it, you won't regret it.

The 20/20 Experience
The 20/20 Experience
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars JT still In a class of his own., 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The 20/20 Experience (Audio CD)
JT is a funny artist for me, not in terms of "Funny - Ha, Ha!" but "Funny - peculiar". He was always an artist that I didn't take particularly seriously, thanks to his boy band background, but fair's fair, he's a very talented guy and his records never fail to impress me with just how original and involving they are. I always expect not to particularly enjoy them, but their quality is undeniable and they always eventually draw me in.

This collection is no different, especially the classy "Suit and Tie", which is the standout track for me here (as is Take Back the Night on CD2). That being said, this is the kind of record that you don't seem to hear very often these days. Every track is inventive in terms of beats and grooves, which is probably due largely to Timberland's production skills, and well crafted in terms of the vocals and melodies. These are just great songs, effortlessly delivered with panache and cool style. Mr Timberlake has nothing to prove, he's just throwing grooves out there as he feels them, making records that he wants to hear regardless of market trends and the influences of artists such as Michael Jackson, Prince and Marvin Gaye are worn proudly on his sleeves.

This pt1 CD is more for the bedroom, with pt2 being aimed more at the dance floor, but neither CD is easy to pigeonhole in todays market. It's just pure pop and all the better for it.

I bought this on the back of seeing JT delivering a blistering performance at the MTV awards this year when he picked up the Video Vanguard award and I think he's one of the few artists around these days that could be considered a bona-fide superstar, up there with the Beyonce's of this world that can write, record, sing live, dance, sound original in an otherwise identi-kit market, put on an awesome show without seeming to break a sweat and still be relevant.

For me, he's the male solo artist that is still setting the bar for others to aim at and you have to respect that.

The Blues Band - Live At Rockpalast (DVD & CD) [1980] [NTSC]
The Blues Band - Live At Rockpalast (DVD & CD) [1980] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ The Blues Band

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and good memories, 15 Nov. 2013
I bought this after seeing it had come out in a magazine somewhere (probably Mojo) and, having read that it covered the bands performance of material from the first 2 albums, which I own on vinyl and have fond memories of, I decided to invest in this, primarily for the DVD as much as the CD. Both are good value for the set and it was fun watching the band play Rockpalast, especially when you read the liner notes telling of how they really gatecrashed what was a huge gig for them at the time.

For me, the standout track is Can't Hold On Much Longer, which is a really great slow blues number, but some of my other favourite tracks like Come on In, Going Home, Someday Baby and Death Letter also stand up well to the test of time. I'm not so sure about the more vaudevillian leanings of I Don't Know, Boom Boom and Flip Flop Fly (as also done by the Blues Brothers - no relation :-) stood up to the test of time quite so well but the set is generally a good one and shows the strength of the band at the time, especially the rhythm section, and highlights the different vocal qualities of principle singer and one time Manfred Mann frontman, Paul Jones and slide guitarist Dave Kelly (who arguably has the better tone).

All in all it was a nice trip down memory lane for me and a great snapshot of the band at their commercial peak.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Trigger happy TV, 15 Nov. 2013
I bought this as my existing remote had died and would not rewind on Sky. I bought this as the Sky remote was £20 and this had decent reviews as a cheaper option. Its an OK remote but has the annoying habit of triggering multiple times for one press of a button, so if you hit the down arrow on your planner, it skips down about 3 places on the list, which is a pain.

On reflection, I'd probably shell out the extra for the Sky version to save the hassle.

Days Are Gone (Standard)
Days Are Gone (Standard)

3.0 out of 5 stars Tight edgy rock turns 80s synth pop. Shame (Shime?). :-), 18 Oct. 2013
I bought this album on the back of having seen Haim (pronounced "Hime" apparently) on Later and also watched their live iTunes festival performance and I must say I'm really disappointed with it. I was expecting a tight 70's influenced rock album having seen them doing their thing live and what I got was a vastly over-produced 80s pop album! Actually, when The Wire started, I thought that my iTunes had skipped to the start of Heartache Tonight by the Eagles for the first 20 seconds! (released in 1979 before anyone tells me that song was not from the 80s)

Are the songs good? No doubt they certainly are (hence the 3 stars), but they struggle to make an impression under the weight of programmed beats, samples and keyboard hooks that simply neuter their rock appeal and turn them into almost joyless covers, unrecognisable from their tight funky live counterparts. You would certainly never know that Haim are predominantly a guitar band from listening to this.

Trust me, I really like this band (particularly the bass player whose face emotes every note she plays, making her hugely sexy) but the album is an opportunity missed as far as I am concerned. They had the chance to make a cutting edge rock album, which I think could have catapulted them to massive things, but this record is not that. I have a feeling that classic rock is where the girls hearts lie and that someone in their management or record company told them that a straight rock record would be too "old school" for today's market.

I think anyone buying this on the back of a gig or live show will feel the same and, conversely, anyone loving this record first and going to see them live will probably be equally surprised and disappointed because they won't get what they are expecting either. The band just comes over as detached from their recordings as they are poles apart, which is a great shame (or should that be pronounced Shime?) :-).

I hope that next time they follow their hearts because I'm sure if they did, they could make a really important and special record.

Hopefully a live album will follow and then you can pay your money and take your choice of whichever side of Haim takes your fancy.

Hey! Hello
Hey! Hello

5.0 out of 5 stars Transvision Vamp meets the Wannadies! A good thing., 7 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Hey! Hello (Audio CD)
Not heard a record like this in a long time. It's a pop/rock smash of epic proportions.

Nothing too complicated here, simple 5 chord guitars over 80s trash drums with a driving bass to hammer it home and nicely layered vocals as the cream on the cake. There's nothing ground breaking about this album but it is a lot of fun and very well done. It's actually worth buying just for the first verse of Black Valentine, which makes me laugh whenever I hear it.

It's packed with hooky 3 minute pop songs that never disappoint. For me the standouts are "Black Valentine", "How I survived the Punk Wars" and "Why can't I be me without you", which has the catchiest chorous I've heard in many a year.

If you like Republica, Transvision Vamp, the Wannadies or "Charlotte-era" Ash, this album will be right up your street.

Octone IEM Pro In-Ear Monitor Earphones - Deep Bass Edition Professional Headphones for Performers, Stage, Band, Musical, Sports and Action - Eco Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, good sound and they stay put!, 27 May 2013
We bought these earphones for my wife to use with her LD ME100 in-ear monitor system as the earphones supplied with that kept falling out and she needed something that went further into her ear that would stay in place. The Octone units fitted the bill and were very reasonaly priced. She has been very happy with them and is impressed with the sound and comfort of the plugs, although we do only put her vocals through the monitors so we can't comment on the sound that someone wanting a full band mix might get.

Also, we were considering getting expensive custom fitted monitor earplugs made for her but were concerned that this might block out too much of the ambient sound of the band for her liking, so we decided to use these first and see how she got on. We have a pop/rock band and are fairly loud but she is very happy with these so we won't need to buy the custom fit plugs. I would definitely recommend spending the money and trying these before buying custom plugs that may not give you the effect you are looking for, especially if you are a small band that does not put all of your instruments into the PA/mix.

All in all though, a great set of plugs, with a nice pack of accessories. Recommended.

LD Systems In-Ear Monitoring System
LD Systems In-Ear Monitoring System
Offered by Inta-Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product at a great price, 27 May 2013
I bought this system for my wife, who is fronting our new rock band. It's her first time singing with a band and we wanted an in-ear system to avoid the feedback issues that sometimes come with stage monitors and to allow her to hear herself properly over us. We bought the LD system mainly because of the price as some of the top end systems are at least 4 times as expensive. I must say that we were really pleased with this and it works perfectly for us. It's simple to set up and use and it's solid and hard wearing. The belt pack is sturdy plastic and the receiver unit has a metal casing and is compact and easy to set up and adjust. The belt pack has it's own volume control so my wife can adjust to a volume level that is comfortable for her on stage.

My wife is also very happy with the sound she gets, although we do only feed her vocals into the monitors and not the whole band so I could not comment as to what you would think of the sound if you were using it for a full band mix. The only drawback with the system that we found was that the earphones supplied did not stay in my wifes ears very well, so we invested in some Octone IEM Pro In-ear monitor earphones, which were also very reasonably priced and solved the problem for us.

All in all this is a great system for us but we have limited use (i.e. only for a lead vocal and not with multiple users) but I would still highly recommend it to anyone, especially if you're on a budget.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10