Profile for A. Boylett > Reviews

Content by A. Boylett

A. Boylett "andyboylett" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
La Futura
La Futura

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beards are Back with a Bang!, 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: La Futura (Audio CD)
Great album from the bearded ones. Sound bang up to date in terms of a clean crisp production with great guitar sounds and tight drums and bass. Songs are all good too and this has been on heavy rotation in my car since I got it. I always thought their track on the From Dusk Til Dawn soundtrack (She's Just Killing Me) was the best thing they ever did but this album is full of tracks in that vein. If you like great down south blues rock, then this album is a must!

Medieval Gothic Satin Jabot Shirt, White
Medieval Gothic Satin Jabot Shirt, White
Offered by Elbenwald
Price: £37.95 - £37.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Perfect style let down by poor quality material!, 2 Mar. 2015
Bought this to replace a similar shirt that was supplied with my Prince fancy dress costume which was made of cheap thin polyester and was awful so I decided to invest in this one as it promised to be better quality. When this arrived it was the same as the cheap one supplied with the costume! They should make this in white cotton (they do it in black cotton so why not white?) or proper satin and for £40 you would expect a quality product, which this is not. I sent mine back.

Vermatik 6 IN 1 Ultrasonic/Electromagnetic Rat/Mouse/Insect Repeller (AS SEEN ON TV)
Offered by Direct Sales

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't tell if it made any difference., 8 Feb. 2015
Bought this to keep the flies and bees out of my conservatory but can't say I noticed it having any noticeable effect.

241 24v 21w Car Bulbs x2
241 24v 21w Car Bulbs x2
Offered by Extreme Auto Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighting my garage nicely., 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: 241 24v 21w Car Bulbs x2
Perfect to replace the blown bulb for my overhead light in my automatic garage doors!

Teashade Sunglasses, Teashade Round Silver Purple Gradient LARGE Style 13, Silver Frame / Purple Gradient Lens
Offered by The Movie Shop Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Princely Purple Shades, 8 Feb. 2015
Bought these as I'm going as Purple Rain era Prince to a fancy dress and wanted these to round off the look. Not quite as big and dished as Prince's were but not a bad substitute and you can't complain for the money.

RODE NT1-A Condenser Microphone Bundle
RODE NT1-A Condenser Microphone Bundle

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality product and great value for money., 29 Jan. 2015
Really impressed with this. It's been my first proper condenser mic and it seems like a great quality product, supplied with a dust cover, pop shield and an anti rumble frame (not sure of the technical term) and a useful dvd showing some different ways to use the mic to get different vocal effects. Using it to record vocals I must say it has a really true natural sound and I would recommend it to anyone from my experience so far.

ROLAND QUAD-CAPTURE Audio interfaces USB
ROLAND QUAD-CAPTURE Audio interfaces USB
Offered by RST Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Great unit but annoying latency issues, 29 Jan. 2015
I bought this to use with my Macbook and to replace my old UA-25 as it was not supported by Roland with the latest version of Apple's Yosemite operating system, whereas the Quadcapture is. I must say that I've been generally very happy with it, although I have had some annoying problems with latency when recording, which might be something simple to fix but I haven't found a way to sort it yet. Otherwise it records very well and the auto-setting feature is a good one. If I hadn't had the latency issues it would be a 5 star review.

Ultimate 'Dark Magic' Custom Chrome Microphone Stand
Ultimate 'Dark Magic' Custom Chrome Microphone Stand

1.0 out of 5 stars Tarnished shaft and failed on first use!, 29 Jan. 2015
I bought this as a gift for my wife as it looked awesome on the site and the price had come down quite a bit since we first saw it. Received the delivery quickly but when I opened the box I noticed that the chrome shaft of the stand was tarnished and had come free in the packaging (whether this caused the tarnishing in transit I don't know). However, the stand was easy to assemble and adjust and the base and top look really great. The base is quite heavy but it comes with a nice carry case and is obviously a good quality item, just spoiled by the tarnished shaft.

My wife decided that she was happy enough with it as the tarnishing might not notice so much on stage and to send it back for replacement would have cost a fortune in postage due to the size/weight, so we decided to keep the stand anyway.

So we took the stand out to our first gig and the stand was on the floor in front of the stage, so my wife extended it up. When we tried to collapse it again at the end of the gig, the stand would not move! Consequently we could not get it back in it's case so we had to carry it home looking like the Archbishop of Canterbury!

We decided that as it was unusable we wanted to return it. We called Amazon and after explaining the problem and the issue sending it back (try finding a 6ft long box at short notice) Amazon agreed to send in a courier to pick it up and replace it. We're waiting on the replacement now but this has been loads of hassle and irritation so hopefully the replacement will not suffer from the same issues!

Not good.

World On Fire
World On Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars Can you hear Axl's tears? :-) A rock masterclass., 5 Oct. 2014
This review is from: World On Fire (Audio CD)
Set the scene - early morning in a mansion in LA, a pudgy middle aged fella with dodgy dreadlocks wakes up in his cycling shorts as the phone on his bedside table rings. He picks up to hear his managers voice on the other end of the line. "Morning Axl, it's out, I've just listened to it and I'm afraid it's not good news."

"You mean it's better than Apocalyptic Love?" A look of despair spreads across the raspy voiced singers face.

"It's worse than that" his manager cautiously replies "it might even be better than Appetite!"

Axl slams down the phone in rage and buries his head sobbing into his pillow screaming "Nooo!!!!! Nooooo!!!!"

OK, so maybe it may not have been exactly like that, but I'll bet Mr Rose isn't happy. It took him 15 years to come up with Chinese Democracy, in which time Slash has been consistently releasing great records, first with Velvet Revolver and then as a solo(ish) act and World on Fire could just be the best of them. I loved his Slash album, using different singers to interpret his songs to great effect, which led to him forming a stronger bond with Miles Kennedy, who sang the standouts on that album.

He followed that with Apocalyptic Love, which was a small step back, being patchy at best, having lesser songs (apart from the awesome "Liar"), sounding quite under produced and suffering for that.

Now we have World on Fire and the great news is that the production values and the songs are back and Slash may just have produced one of THE great rock albums! It's relentless, song after song, verse after verse, chorus after chorus, bridge after bridge, solo after solo, the quality just never falls below a top level standard.Slash just seems to get better and more inventive with age and he seems to have produced a sleazy rock tour de force with this record.

The licks are fresh but somehow familiar and when tied in with the soaring vocal talents of Mr Kennedy, they show just what GnR could have been capable of had they survived. Even the other members of the band must be rueing the fact that they never managed to cling to Slash's coattails and be a part of this.

There are 17 tracks here and I won't go through this track by track as I don't really need to. Just be assured that this is good - very good.

Buy it and reignite your appetite for destructive rock and roll at it's best!

Art Official Age
Art Official Age

5.0 out of 5 stars The Homecoming Parade!!!, 4 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Art Official Age (Audio CD)
So, after thoroughly enjoying Prince's 3rdeyegirl rockfest, I decided to dive into Art Official Age (not the snappiest title in years it must be said). My first hearing on a road trip with my wife saw it as suitable background music, generally being laid back in style and not so demanding of your attention as it's co-release, so I came to listening to it properly with the preconception that I probably wasn't going to like it as much.

On closer inspection though, Art Official Age does come into it's own with some classic Prince grooves and slow jams. The album starts with Art Official Cage, a four-to-the-floor dance track which has a kind of Thunder-esque vibe (from Diamonds & Pearls) with random guitar stabs and raps. It's a bit of a mixed bag though and maybe a little too eclectic for it's own good, but a grower definitely.

Clouds kicks the album off properly and sets out the stall for things to come. A nice spacey mid-pace funky jam that would not have been out of place on Sign o' the Times. It's also the first sign of things to come, with a girl sharing vocal duties (no specifics on the sleeve notes so difficult to say who) and introducing the theme of Prince coming coming around from 45 years of suspended animation (which might explain why some of his more recent albums haven't been up to much) :-)

Then we come to the Breakdown. A nice Scandalous type of tune, which really is Prince at his best - bringing back the halcyon days of the Revolution. Beautiful falsetto and backing vocals caress this tune and it revels in it's simplicity. Maybe his best song for years (or it would have been if not for the random Star Wars laser blasts that litter the song)?

Next comes The Gold Standard, a funky tune that would also have sat nicely on Diamonds & Pearls. Stripped down again, with horn stabs and funky guitar licks to add flavour over a synth bass line. Another Prince classic with a vari-speed rap reminiscent of Bob-George from the Black album (but Bob George at a party rather than Bob George trying to kill anyone) :-) Top track.

U Know works as almost an ambient track with Prince layering his falsetto all over an incessant piano hook.

Breakfast Can Wait then comes to the fore. Prince describing how he wants his babe to say in bed with him rather than make him breakfast (regardless of how great a cook she is apparently). This another great old school stripped back Prince track - funky and understated, it just works.

This Could Be Us is another laid back great old style soul track with a Sexual Healing vibe.

What It Feels Like follows and it's the return of the girls with Andy Allo sharing vocal duties to perfection with her voice like liquid honey dripping over the track! Actually this song could have come from her Superconductor album, which if you don't already have, do yourself a favour and BUY IT! You can just lay back in this track and let it wash over you. One of the highlights of the album for me.

Way Back Home ups the ante a little again with Prince singing about how he's trying to find his way "back home" with what sounds like Faust guesting on vocal in there too? Another really nice subdued jam with Prince giving us a personal view of what's important to him rather than being more preachy about things as he has done in recent outings.

FunknRoll is a pared back version of the song that also appears on the 3rdeyegirl album but it's modern sounding with sample stabs here and there and an incessant popping through the rapped verses which is really fresh. The song then beefs up with a synth driven hook to see the song out. Not sure which of the 2 versions I prefer more, but I'm definitely leaning towards this one.

Time sees what sounds like Andy Allo coming back in the frame (but it could almost be Jill Jones or Wendy or Susannah). Again a classic Prince groove which could easily be an outtake from the original Family album with the groove and string swells bringing back that vibe to full effect. Another highlight for me, especially after the Brown Mark-esque popping bass kicks in which is just awesome and transports the track up to another level still!

The album draws to a stunning close with affirmation III, another more ambient style track which is just BEAUTIFUL with harps, flutes and subtle strings drawing you in and a female vocal making the track warm enough to die for! Loved it.

All in all, this album is a revelation (Prince and the Revelation anyone? :-). Why has it taken Prince so long to produce a record like this, where every song is so strong, well constructed and with so many fresh ideas? Also, it's great to hear Prince singing with girls that have a sexy sounding pop vocal rather than the big gospel female vocalists, like Shelby, that he has had as backing singers in recent years. He works so much better with a sander than a hammer (if you get my drift) :-)

This is without doubt Prince's best work since The Gold Experience. if there is any negative it is that a lot of the songs are in a similar vein, but all too good to omit. Perhaps this is why Prince did the 2 album thing, to separate out the wheat from the chaff (or more accurately with these albums, the wheat from the oats!). It really does need to be listened to though otherwise it could be mistaken for background music, so make sure you find time to lock yourself in a room, with all mobile devices off and immerse yourself in this for the duration to get the full benefit.

All in all, 2 albums showing what Prince can do again, dare I say it, maybe with a little guidance from a decent record company (as I can't believe that it is a co-incidence that these gems are his first recordings for Warner Brothers since his heyday).

I'm very pleased to report that, after a long long time, Prince finally has found his "way home" again. Welcome back fella, we missed you! :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2014 7:07 AM GMT