Profile for SB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Be a Digital Nomad: A Making It Anywhere guide
Be a Digital Nomad: A Making It Anywhere guide

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but better books out there, 2 Feb. 2015
Good, but most of the content is lifted from their website. Having said this, their blog is FANTASTIC-so much interesting content especially about living the digital nomad lifestyle and I enjoyed reading about their adventures living a fixed lifestyle but in many different cities.

I found the book to be quite vague and full of cringey instructions like "be personalityful", I think this is just a personal thing though and I'm sure many people will like the tone of the book :) There are some interesting bits in here-these guys obviously know what they're doing.

Similar books out there on the same topic:
-Be a free range human
-The $100 start up
-The 4 hour work week

Italian Verbs (Barron's Verb)
Italian Verbs (Barron's Verb)
by Vincent Luciani

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastico, 28 Dec. 2014
Fantastic travel-sized book. I find it far more accessible than the huge 501 textbook and easy to carry around as I'm constantly forcing myself to think in Italian and if I get stuck on a verb conjugation can flick through this book on the go.

Buy it, non te ne pentirai!

Be a Free Range Human: Escape the 9-5, Create a Life You Love and Still Pay the Bills

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE, 15 Aug. 2014
I can't stop raving about this book, buy it if you:

-Want to change your life, beyond belief, and quit that dull 9-5 job
-Want to dare to dream and transform your life from mediocre to the type of life you are estatic with (and where you can lie on your deathbed with a smile, saying "I lived!")
-Are prepared to honour YOUR desires and do what you want without listening to the naysayers.

This book has really prepared me for starting my own business soon. I'm excited that I found this book at 23, but remember age is just a number and it's never too late... time will pass anyway, so you may as well do what excites you :)

For similar books read: The $100 start-up, 4 hour work week.

The Gift of Fear
The Gift of Fear

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for keeping women safe and educating yourself on violence in general, 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Gift of Fear (Kindle Edition)
From stalkers, to domestic violence to homicides and everything in between, this book covers the personal issues one may come into contact with to wider issues such as mass shootings. I learnt A LOT about the nature of violence and criminals. but probably the biggest gift Gavin gave me was listening to my own intuition, something I've ignored many times and has put me in danger. A good book for all women on keeping safe.

Fluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget It
Fluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget It

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 15 Aug. 2014
Practical clear steps, Gabriel really holds your hand through the language learning process. He even gives you a few techiques to try out in the book and I was able to memorize the gender of 8 German verbs, despite absolutely no interest in the language and never having studied it before. His stuff works! Good for people who:

-Want to learn a new language from scratch
-Want a laid-out method for doing so (i.e. vocab acquisition, speaking practice)

Trauma Releasing Exercises (Tre): A Revolutionary New Method for Stress/Trauma Recovery.
by David Berceli

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 11 May 2014
After going through a very traumatic experience recently, I remembered TRE and thought I would give it a try. Due to the nature of the traumatic event, I couldn't sleep (was up for 40 hours) and had a tight feeling in my chest from the stress. The first time I did the exercise I felt nothing and thought it was a waste of time, but a few minutes later I was spontaneously crying. And it's not a sad type of crying; you're not upset about anything, it's a kind of release. The next few times I tried I cried loooots more and was over the event within a matter of days. This is an incredible recovery considering how much of a blow it had and I don't believe I'd have been able to heal without TRE. Now I don't do it so regularly, only when I'm upset about the previous event, but I recommend it to everyone.

Fluent in 3 Months
Fluent in 3 Months

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivating and Interesting, 18 Mar. 2014
As a devout follower of Benny's blog, I've read most of his articles and was unsure whether this book would hold any new information for me. I was wrong! Whilst a lot is lifted from the blog (understandably so) this book goes into a lot more depth and presents some new things too. This book comes from the angle that literally ANYONE can learn a foreign language and is full of motivation.

A must for anyone who wants to learn a foreign langauge! Hai fatto bene, Benny!

Dancing in the Fountain: How to Enjoy Living Abroad
Dancing in the Fountain: How to Enjoy Living Abroad

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and interesting book about moving abroad, 29 Dec. 2013
The authors are nearing retirement and being a young, 22 year old moving abroad I thought this book wouldn't really appeal to me, but I was wrong! An engaging book about the struggles and rewards of moving abroad; whilst it wasn't that applicable to me (I'm not a pensioner!), I enjoy travel stories so appreciated this book anyway. It touches on integration and language learning too.

City of God
City of God

1.0 out of 5 stars Violent, 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: City of God (Kindle Edition)
I found this book to be far too gritty and violent in terms of imagery. Obviously the author is going for this affect, but I couldn't bring myself to read much further. Also I didn't find the plot that interesting.

Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia
Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia
by John Dickie

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but long-winded, 29 Dec. 2013
Title above says it all really, at around 500 pages the book is a monster and I ended up skipping loooots of pages. Interesting material and stories but not at all succinct.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3