Profile for Mr. C. Hoskin > Reviews

2014 Altura Night Vision 20 Litre Waterproof Pannier Bag Grey
Offered by Parkers of Bolton
Price: 49.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too expensive, much better alternatives., 6 July 2014
Where to begin with the deficiencies with this bag... ok, here we go:
No inner pocket (last years model had one)
Strap is pathetic, about 15mm wide and cheap, nasty plastic hooks.
Metal screws stick into whatever is inside, so will scratch up anything metal/plastic. They put plastic caps on, which fall off after 5 seconds use.
Material is all rough, unlike other brands, which will make cleaning much harder.
The lower plastic hook to attach to pannier is just smooth plastic tightened against smooth plastic with nothing to retain it on the bag, and guess what, it gradually slides off the rail with normal use, so expect it to randomly fall off about once a month, sometimes while cycling.

A collection of just frankly ridiculous design choices. See a Timbuk2 bag to see how a bag should really be designed. Get the Aqua Vaude instead.

Ultra Motor A2B Hybrid Electric BiBike - White, 19-inch
Ultra Motor A2B Hybrid Electric BiBike - White, 19-inch

1.0 out of 5 stars Never ending problems... full of regret, 25 Feb 2014
Whilst it seemed like a great deal when I bought this bike, a decent size battery and motor for not too much, I now see why..

Since owning this bike, over 18 months, the following has failed/malfunctioned (in order):

The control unit
The brake safety cut off (!!)
The battery
The control unit (again)
The torque sensor
The rear light
The speed sensor

Basically, everything that could fail, has. And I have no doubts that when I get any outstanding issues fixed, there will be more to come.. it's become a burden. Not to mention, I lost faith in it when it went out of control and almost threw me on to a road! Torque sensor tricked it into going full power, whilst the safety cut off didn't work... ended up with a possessed and out of control bike!
The fitting wasn't great on arrival either. The mudguards can rub if they aren't pushed to the side, and some of the gears aren't reachable as the chain rubs against the chain guard..

It's a very big inconvenience to send it back, as I rely on it as my primary mode of transport. So every day without it is 6 I have to pay in bus fares.

If the manufacturer was good/quick with getting things fixed, it wouldn't be so bad, but I have on occassion had to chase them several times (for one issue) to get things moving. The shop I was going through got so fed up they stopped stocking their bikes.

I don't know if later models fare better, or if they have improved their quality control. But I've lost all faith in this bike. I wish I could swap it out for the later Hybrid 24 model, in the hope I could rely on it to both function and not try to kill me..

Coup Character Cards
Coup Character Cards
Price: 12.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game!, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Coup Character Cards (Toy)
This is great fun. Combines elements of bluffing and deception that guarantee tense moments throughout. Such as assasinating someone, when you don't have the assassin, then trying not to smile as they reluctantly discard one of their cards..

The mechanics are very well thought out, and highly strategic. Quite like poker in many ways, but much simplier, and much more fun (imho).

There will be an expansion soon that allows up to 10 players, and new rules (affiliations). It's out of print for the old edition, but I'm positive a new one will be released for this version.

Buy this game. Quick, fun, easy, strategic, and offers many moments of laughter and gloating..

Litecraft - Lava Lamp - Red & Purple
Litecraft - Lava Lamp - Red & Purple
Offered by Topnotchsales
Price: 16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars MIsleading description and picture, 4 Jan 2014
The finish is NOT "sleek brushed", it is glossy paint, and very cheap looking. And looks nothing like the picture.
Also the packaging is bad and inadequate, a bulb fell out as I pulled another part out and it broke on the floor, due to being in a flimsy bag.
Aside from that, does the job, and I guess I can't complain considering the price I paid for it (15~ for two).

The World's End [DVD]
The World's End [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A mere shadow of the former two films..., 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: The World's End [DVD] (DVD)
The first 45 minutes of silence from myself and my friends did not bode well in the cinema.
Eventually got a few good laughs, as good as any in the trilogy. But there's just nothing to keep you going between these brief moments. If that wasn't bad enough, the characters aren't likeable at all, and I found myself not caring what they did, said, or what happened to them. Particularly the main character, who shows no redeeming characterstics. Very much unlike the first two. Not to mention there was no character development.. resulting in an ultimately pointless and meaningless affair.. I don't know if this was intentional to be different from the first two, but it just didn't work. Not even a fifth as funny as the first two, and those at least had interesting stories and characters.

Lean-Agile Acceptance Test-Driven-Development (Net Objectives Lean-Agile Series)
Price: 22.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, but not a lot of depth, 15 Aug 2013
This would be useful to someone new to the field of ATDD. As a brief overview, to set you up with enough knowledge to start and find out more.
However I've read a fair bit of TDD online, so this didn't offer much new insight or depth for me. I was hoping for more detailed exploration of the problems and how to overcome them, rather than just the basic processes.
I ended up returning it.

Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests (Addison-Wesley Signature Series (Beck))
Price: 20.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Bible of being a great coder, 1 Aug 2013
This book shows the difference between a good coder, and a great coder. And the difference is tests.
If you can master TDD, this will open up a whole new world of software engineering.
This book appears to be the best there is on the subject, and contains many valuable bits of info. Also talks about, though briefly, the Ports and Adapter architecture (aka Hexgonal), which looks like a great architecture.

The crux of the matter, is if your code is easy to test (read 'use'), it's good code. And the only way to know if it's easy to test, is to test it.

Buy this book, study it, become a better coder, get a payrise...

LG BH6220S 3D Blu-ray 5.1 Channel 850W Home Cinema System
LG BH6220S 3D Blu-ray 5.1 Channel 850W Home Cinema System

3.0 out of 5 stars Most things are good, but TERRIBLE USB playback, 24 Jun 2013
Features look very good. Interface looks good and visually nice. Sound is good, creates a good atmosphere and sense of depth. Bass is certainly up to the job of explosions.

My one major grip is that the USB video playback was a big reason I got this device, but it has performed terribly with most videos I've given it. It plays them, but either the sound is choppy/clippy, or the video is jumpy. All the videos play fine on my computer so the videos are fine. I've updated it to the latest firmware but doesn't make a difference.
Incomplete codec support...

* Do not buy this player for it's USB playback!

Update: It's now 08/2013 and still no firmware update from LG. Last update was from 2012. So doesn't look like this problem is going to be fixed..
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2013 1:59 AM GMT

Logitech Gaming Mouse G700
Logitech Gaming Mouse G700

2.0 out of 5 stars Instantly hated it., 24 May 2013
I was really surprised how much I disliked this mouse, considering all the positive things people say about it.

Pros:
* Looks nice
* Sensitivity indicator LEDs

Cons:
* HEAVY, my god it's heavy. Wireless mode is like dragging a paper weight around. Heavier than the M705 it replaced, but this should be lighter, as it's a gaming mouse.

* Thick and stiff USB cable. Again, this is supposed to be a gaming mouse, so why did they use such as stiff cable? I guess it's because it's USB and spec size, but they could have made it proprietary (so people can't plug it into other devices) and made it custom thin.

* Very uncomfortable. I couldn't find a comfortable position. Fully palm-gripped and my fingers were off the end (which are non-clickable deadspace), hold it claw style and the weight of my palm is resting on just my index finger knuckle. My hand was aching within about an hour of use.

*Buttons are sharp. I guess they're good for serious gaming, but unpleasant in every other use case.

Wish I'd got the G9X, with adjustable grip and weight, for same price.

Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Best of Both Worlds [Blu-ray] [1990] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart
Price: 7.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent remastering, 20 May 2013
This looks fantastic.
Some people complain it's not as nice as it could be, or not widescreen, but this was TV in 1990!! What do you expect!?
The job they've done is fantastic. The detail and colours really come out and create a very immersive viewing experience.
5.1 sound is the icing on the cake too.
I'm also pleased they've not gone overboard when redoing the effects, like star wars remakes, as it's all similiar looking to how it was originally, just nicer and more detailed.
Top marks to the team behind this work. Can't fault it.

If you're a fan of Star Trek, you owe it to yourself to own this!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7