Profile for C. F. Reed > Reviews

C. F. Reed (Shrops. UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Low-price but not low-quality, 18 Mar. 2016
I've bought several of these, when re-formatted, some haven't achieved full capacity but all have been entirely serviceable.
I use them, rather than external HDD to store MP3 files, audio books and music and for back-up and files transfer between computers.

Lenovo ThinkPad UltraSlim USB DVD Burner - optical disc drives (Black, Desktop/Notebook, DVD±RW, USB 3.0, CD-R, CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RAM)

4.0 out of 5 stars Professional, 9 Dec. 2015
Better made t6han any USB reader I've used, fault free on all of 6 non-DVD reader laptops I've used it on.

Best of all is its built-in USB 2 connection

Mens PDQ Toggle & Touch Fastening Sports Trail Sandals Dark Grey/Red size 10 UK
Mens PDQ Toggle & Touch Fastening Sports Trail Sandals Dark Grey/Red size 10 UK
Offered by Shoesbyclaire

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 9 Dec. 2015
Disappointed when the sole started to detach from the toe of the R sandal

IBM LENOVO Replacement 20V 4.5A 90w Laptop Charger AC power adapter fits T60 T60p T61 T61p X60 X60s X61 X61s R60 R60e R61 R61i Z60 Z60m Z60t Z61 3000, C100, C200, V100, N100, N200, X300 series Laptops with Portable Parts 1 Year Warranty
Offered by EXPRESS COMPUTER PARTS

3.0 out of 5 stars An economical life-saver, 9 Dec. 2015
Saved the ThinkPadE I have, from premature retirement, but is too powerful @ 90 watts to replace the normal 65w charger - so has to be disconnected as soon as battery is fully charged or the mouse pointer develops St Vitus' dance.
Connector is a sloppy fit on the (new) power input I got. But the price was very good.

Braun MobileShave M-60b Portable Electric Shaver
Braun MobileShave M-60b Portable Electric Shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, effective and economical, 9 Dec. 2015
Very neat, runs on rechargeable AA cells and works well until it meets long hairs.
These foil it (pun) so one needs a trimmer to use it long term.
Overall, certainly the cheapest and probably the equal of any rechargeable razor I've bought over the las 60years.

Replacement foil and blade are now available but cost more than a new unit.

Mighty Bright 5-inch Lighted Magnifier
Mighty Bright 5-inch Lighted Magnifier

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for people with only one eye and lots of ..., 9 Dec. 2015
Great for people with only one eye and lots of fiddly things to tackle - easily the best glass I've used (excepting jeweller's glasses)

Blade Tech Knife and Tool Sharpener (Black)
Blade Tech Knife and Tool Sharpener (Black)
Offered by Tamarack

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, 9 Dec. 2015
Inexpensive, trouble-free and highly effective.
I bought one fore each member of the family, all of whom never seem to have a sharp knife

Leatherman Granite Grey LJXE6/GY Pocket Tool
Leatherman Granite Grey LJXE6/GY Pocket Tool

4.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable in use, aboard or ashore, 27 Nov. 2015
Bought in November 2014, it's been in daily use since, mainly on a boat in the Med.

Suddenly, when earlier this month, I took it out of its case two pieces of shaped stainless fell out. Looking at the granular end of these it would appear that the two "springs" controlling the screwdriver bits had fatigue-failed and only half of each remained.

Until this mishap I'd have given the multitool an unreserved 5 stars and had gone so far as to purchase another as birthday present for my son last year, and an additional one to leave on the boat, last month.

I've written to the suppliers, and look forward to Leatherman's Lifetime Guarantee proving effective.
However as a similar failure occurred with another reviewer's Juice, I have to come to a reluctant conclusion that we may have a general QAS problem, 316 stainless being highly susceptible to work hardening and fatigue failure.

I hope not as the unit is superbly well made, the blades keep their edge well and it has proved invaluable around a sailboat over a six-month season. You can even cut your nails with the scissors.

... cont
Trying to invoke Leathermans lifetime warranty was a long-drawn and potentially cardiac arresting process.
First I sent, via Amazon's website, an e-mail, to MKS Timeless OG reporting the breakage and asking for their action.
After 7 working days I e-mailed Amazon and asked for their support in getting a reply from their Amazon Market supplier.

After a fairly turgid e-mail exchange with Amazon UK (whose operators don't read one's e-mails) I got put on to a 3rd level customer complaint operative who actually discovered the supplier had sent me an e-mail asking me to return the item to them in Vienna.
Packed up, and asked in the Post Office the cost and told anything with a sharp edge was verboten and if I tried to send it I'd be arrested, fined and the goods destroyed.
Royal Mail Parcels were more co-operative but wanted £41.62 to deliver the broken knife, other quotes were DHL £34.95, Hermes £13.57 and Packet Post £8.99.

Moral - don't buy your Leatherman outside the UK.

Ring Automotive RT5172 Cyba-Lite Egg Headlamp
Ring Automotive RT5172 Cyba-Lite Egg Headlamp
Offered by Truckapart

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly useable and no apparent weaknesses, 24 Oct. 2015
Easily the "best" head-torch I've ever had - used in strange bedrooms, night sailing and dangerous boarding without a moon.
Relatively water-resistant, having successfully withstood an involuntary swim in Koufos harbour and many thunderstorm deluges.
The only weak point, possibly, is the life-expectancy of the headband, though that is a step-change superior to other head-torches I've had.
Excellent light output on the low setting and good enough on high setting for cycling or watching headsail tell-tales sailing after dark.
I've never used the two red lights though I've no doubt I could use the flasher for a bike tail-lamp or a port-hand mark.

Leatherman LTG78105083N Juice XE6 Multi Tool, Purple
Leatherman LTG78105083N Juice XE6 Multi Tool, Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough to get yet another, 24 Oct. 2015
I bought the XE6 for myself under the mistaken impression it would be a replacement for a Leatherman I'd bought in Malta, in 2007. (the lost one turned up in the inflatable 12 months later, having slipped between tube and floor)
When it arrived I cursed myself for a fool and started to use it, at home rather than on the boat.
Within 4 weeks I'd found it so useful that I bought one for Son 2 as an Xmas present.
Now 12 months later, I'm buying another Xe6, before Leatherman either discontinue or or "improve" it.
Good points:- both blades are effective though the conventional one needs regular sharpening; the scissors are surprisingly effective, even useful for trimming nails: the file is useful for fine work on plastics & aluminium, but too fine for wood and too blunt for 316 stainless. Weak points: the screwdrivers are too short to be usable as is the corkscrew (in old fashioned bark-corks).
The pliers (mainly due to my arthritis) have been a godsend, great for fine work, very stable and effective in a number of situations (considerably better than either Victorinox or Gerber, in my experience)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5