Profile for Dr. M. Tranter > Reviews

Content by Dr. M. Tranter

Dr. M. Tranter "counterforce" (United Kingdom)

The Secret Agent's Handbook
The Secret Agent's Handbook
by Peter Eldin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for kids, 14 April 2013
I had this as a child growing up in the 1970s & 1980s. It's a fun and practical book suitable for young people interested in cryptography and the art of being a secret agent!

Solitary Vice, The: Against Reading (Counterpoint)
Solitary Vice, The: Against Reading (Counterpoint)
by Mikita Brottman

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about reading I have ever read., 22 Jun. 2010
I don't know how I came across this book. It had no customer reviews. I'd never heard of the writer. I do do quite a bit of Amazon trawling, so maybe that was it. The title got my attention immediately. Anyway, it is really excellent. Whether you are an academic, someone in the business of promoting literacy (eg an English Teacher) or "just" a keen reader - you will enjoy this book. It's partly a memoir of the author's early life as an avid reader and partly a study of the reasons we read what we read and why we ought to rethink these things.
It's one of those books by a really clever person that is accessible to a very wide audience (in this way it reminded me a bit of "The Philosopher at the End of the Universe" by Mark Rowlands). The author is English and British readers will be pleased that this book is very much in touch with British aspects of the promotion of reading (she mentions the Reading is "fun-damental" campaign for example). It's full of references to interesting texts. One of the first things it made me do was to google and print out an article by Cristina Nehring that's mentioned on page 6. I've also made lots of notes in one of my special notebooks of books she mentions that I want to find out more about and maybe read. At the moment I am only on page 127 (a bit over half way through). I am using a really nice bookmark that I made for my daughter. It has her name on it and a picture of her that I drew and some stickers. I laminated it so that it will last longer. My daughter and I share book-marks regularly.
UPDATE: I have now finished reading the book so I thought I would add to this review. There are excellent sections on True Crime books, Celebrity biographies and psychologists' case studies. This is really worth your attention.
Anyway, don't take my word for it. Buy it and read it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2010 5:44 PM BST

The Moscow Puzzles: 359 Mathematical Recreations (Dover Recreational Math)
The Moscow Puzzles: 359 Mathematical Recreations (Dover Recreational Math)
by Boris Kordemsky

5.0 out of 5 stars a childhood favourite, 23 Nov. 2008
I have just ordered a copy of this book to use with my kids. I had it when I was growing up and loved it. It's a real classic. Buy it - you will not be disappointed.

St.Rose of Lima: Patroness of the Americas (Cross and Crown Series of Spirituality)
by Mary Alphonsus

5.0 out of 5 stars St Rose, 24 Dec. 2007
This is a very informative account of the Saint's life. I have also read Graziano's scholarly book "Wounds of Love", but I found this far more interesting as it gives us the details of Rose's life. The author gives a wealth of contextual material about Peru. An essential book on Rose's life and spiritual experiences. Helps a contemporary reader to understand Rose's use of "penances" and "discipline". Excellent!

Image and Logic: Material Culture of Microphysics
Image and Logic: Material Culture of Microphysics
by Peter Galison

5.0 out of 5 stars thrilling insight into microphysics, 21 Sept. 2005
This is an excellent book. It is accessible to a general reader with an interest in the "machines" with which some of the most important breakthroughs of modern physics were made. Gallison uses some fascinating metaphors, for instance the idea of a pidgin or trading language allowing communication between researchers in different fields (ie those who count events and those who create images of them).