Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner
Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner
Offered by IvoryEgg

4.0 out of 5 stars Good document scanner, average at photos, 8 May 2013
It's a good document scanner. It is quite efficient at making multi page PDFs from documents.

The software has a document library feature. I didn't notice this at first and created my own folder hierarchy for documents. This does allow me to override the document dates easily, having scanned in a number of historic documents which all appear with today's date in the library.

The software only offers up to 600dpi resolution. SANE on Linux offers up to 1200, so neither allow the 2400 claimed. SANE allows 16 bit per channel scanning, but the noise when scanning the white backdrop is quite large so I don't know how useful this is. There is also some noise in black sections of an old photo printed on Ilford's Satin paper, I think from the texture of the paper. This is apparent both with SANE and Canon's own software. The photo is certainly more than adequate for online sharing.

My choice was between this for document scanning and the more expensive Epson Perfection for photographs and negatives or slides. I rarely scan photographs or negatives and value that this

* has single cable connection, as I have enough items plugged in to the mains already!
* quickly produces searchable PDFs,
* can determine the size of the input document automatically, good for odd sized items
* can be stood out of the way so as not to take up much space.

Someone wanting to scan photographs may be better looking at the Epson. If I want to scan my old slides and negatives I'll look at a dedicated film scanner.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2013 3:27 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Some notes if you're buying, 10 Oct 2012
I admit I didn't keep mine. I wasn't brave enough to wear them in public, so felt them not worth keeping. My student days are now a good couple of decades behind me.

Some notes if you're buying:

* The waist size is accurate. I bought 2 inches above my measured waist and had a typical loose fit dungaree. If I'd have bought at my measured size they'd have been snug.

* The waist is actually at waist height, where it would be if I was wearing normal jeans.

* Top of the bib was fairly wide, but I don't think so wide it would bag. It did mean that on me there was a huge area of bib.

* No belt loops. I guess they don't need them. I've never worn belt with dungarees.

* They have button fly which looks good and workable.

* They have ties on the bottom of the legs. The legs were about half an inch too long for me, so I don't know how well that would have worked.

* Quality of the fasteners seems good, solid.

They are the kind of thing I can imagine someone younger than me wearing. Great if you're a teenager or student.

So 4 stars. I can't give them 5 as I didn't keep them. I can't give them 3 as I think they're good quality.

Isles Of Wonder: Music For The Opening Ceremony Of The London 2012 Olympic Games

4.0 out of 5 stars Question: Morse code in "Ghost Dance", 13 Aug 2012
Is that Morse in Ghost Dance about 1 minute in? Perhaps a short message repeated twice. Pretty fast.

Review of the album - really good. Nice memory of the event. The music written especially for the ceremony such as "Caliban's Dream" and "And I Will Kiss" work well.

The ceremony had some good tracks by Pink Floyd which are missing from this album, but easily available on The Dark Side of the Moon.

LG BE12LU38 External Blu-ray Re-Writer
LG BE12LU38 External Blu-ray Re-Writer
Offered by DVDSOFTWORKS

5.0 out of 5 stars Hardware so far so good. Software a little buggy, 7 April 2012
I've had this for about a week now. I was initially worried when I saw the power supply. It looks like a European one with an added adapter. A friend showed me a picture of the same kind of supply with a UK plug, so I don't know what happened there. My pictures of the power supply are above.

I've used it for burning DVD, DVD Dual Layer and Blu-Ray data and now movie using Premier Elements. It has worked well for all of these, though Premier behaved oddly. I have played back audio CD and DVD and home-made Blu-Ray. The graphics card on my machine is too old to satisfy the Digital Restrictions Management requirements for commercial Blue-Ray disks so I've not tried this.

The device came with a 1m E-SATA cable, and a connector to connect to a SATA connector in the PC. I connected it to a spare high SATA port on my machine and found the machine reconfigured its boot order. That was easy enough to fix. I also had to reinstall things like my tablet driver after installing the driver for this player. The firmware update program crashed with a strange error message.

The manufacturer recommends using SATA rather than USB. Quoted speeds are significantly lower for USB. The USB interface is useful if using it with a laptop.

It's a solid machine, quite large and heavy which is good for desktop use. It is quite quiet during playback of audio and video which is good. Contrary to a review below, I am finding that it plays back home made BD video quite happily and quietly. The supplied software introduces artefacts on my machine. VLC plays back the video without problem.

I use the burning application to back up my photo collection. I have some old libraries imported from a UNIX system which have files with the same names but mixed case. For example a.jpg and A.JPG are different files. This causes the burning software to crash.

Beware Windows 7's built in burner. I had a couple of problems with this. I used K3B on Linux to work around the file name problem with the supplied software. It didn't work that well. I think when I selected 4 times speed it set a bit rate based on 4 times DVD! That's a fault of K3B not the drive. It's good that the drive happily slowed itself down to match! If you can avoid the file name problem, the supplied software does do the job.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2012 7:18 AM BST

D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External
D-Link DUB-H7 7 - Port USB 2.0 Hub External

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, but it's a different item to that pictured., 15 Mar 2012
The item I received was the small, black Version B1.

It has two ports marked with a battery symbol. According to the manual these ports will provide 1.2A each for battery charging when the PC is switched off or disconnected from the port. When the PC is switched on all ports have 500mA capacity. The LED on top indicates which mode it is in.

There are no diagnostics LEDs on the ports as advertised. Not too much a loss.

So far so good. It has my camera and phone connected and has been doing file transfers with each. Also a mouse, a sound card and a colourimiter. All are recognised. It's not particularly heavy, but seems to grip the table well enough.

theBabaSling Classic - Midnight Black Baby Carrier
theBabaSling Classic - Midnight Black Baby Carrier

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy to use, all load on one shoulder though, 18 Aug 2009
This review is in comparison with a Hugabub, which is a sling made of a very long piece of cloth and tied in a figure 8 around the body. We have both slings and will continue to use them both.

James is now 12 days old. He's used to slings because of the Hugabub and when fitted properly he seems to really like them.

The Babsling is quite easy to set up in comparison with the long cloth sling. The cloth sling is OK with practice but getting the right tension can be hard. It can be fiddly to get James into though this should improve with use and as James grows into easier positions. In comparison we set the rails on the Babasling approximately right following the instructions and lowered James into it. After a bit of fiddling with an arm that was in the wrong place it worked first time and he settled immediately. A good point about slings is that when they are fitted properly they are very calming for the baby.

The hugabub spreads load better across both shoulders, even when using the horizontal position ("Easy Tiger" in the Babasling manual, "Pea-Pod" for Hugabub). The Hugabub should also spread load into the hips with the upright positions when James is big enough to use them. The Babasling will place all of the load on the one shoulder and to some extent across the back. It is very well padded and I found it comfortable walking for an hour or so with it on. Maybe my shoulder muscles will grow with James. I expect I'd want to swap sides if I was wearing it for long periods.

The Babasling is quick and easy to use and very effective. I expect it can be used by a single person unaided with little practice. We found the position for James easily and he was comfortable. The Hugabub, which is a long piece of cloth, is more fiddly to get the tensions right for the "pea-pod" position, but spreads load better for long term wearing. That fiddlyness could be overcome with practice.

The sitting positions for older children sound interesting with the Babasling. I may have to try with my 2.5 year old niece some time to see if she likes it. I did try the Hugabub with her and one thing I noted was that if an older child is not used to a sling she may not be happy with it, especially if you are not confident applying it.

We have the red Babasling which be bought from the manufacturer's site. It came with a carrying bag which is quite nice.

Powerball Techno
Powerball Techno
Offered by eoutlet-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but choose the Neon Pro instead if you want the scoring modes, 22 Feb 2008
This review is from: Powerball Techno (Sports)
It's a neat toy and works well. You can really feel it fighting your grip. It's also a wonderful gimmick, if not so practical.

The display is hard to use. I've seen videos of people who've obviously got the knack of it and can hold it out and read off their score, but it will take some time to get this. If you score too low then you see text instead of a number. Even if/when I learn to use it, anyone I give it to would not be able to.

The ones with the LCDs will be much easier to use. They also have more modes. Techno has simple speed mode and 30 second strength mode and you switch them by spinning at the right speed (6000 rpm or one red dot spinning round) for the right time (18 seconds) and watching to try to work out which lights are showing (blue flashing). On the LCD ones it's a button press to select mode and you know you can always see the scores.

So the LCD ones are easier to use, and if you want flashing lights the Neon ones give you that. I wonder how much energy they take from the rotor and if that's significant for those trying for high scores.

Concerning the comment about letting it dangle: The instructions tell you to keep hold otherwise you'll wear it out quicker. I think it's noisier when dangling so wonder how practical this advice is.

Ukdapper - Sony STRDA6400ES, 840W 7.1ch DLNA HDMI AV Receiver
Ukdapper - Sony STRDA6400ES, 840W 7.1ch DLNA HDMI AV Receiver

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones, but note they are fully open, 8 Feb 2008
I bought these to replace my 16 year old Sennheiser 45?.

They're excellent headphones - very good sound already especially running off a proper amplifier. Very comfortable although that they are circumaural caught me by surprise at first. They have a soft cloth-like pad which fits around the ear holding the headphone itself away unlike the old ones which sat on top of the ear. It's actually quite nice as the ears feel they are more in the open.

These are fully open backed. Also the driver is further away from the ear. This means that if you want to run them at higher levels you'll get notable leakage for your neighbours to hear. I like to hear clearly what's going on around me so the complete lack of isolation is a good thing. I can overlay my music at a nice quiet level on top of the sounds of the office and still hear someone approaching or someone talking to me. In the office environment the leakage at that level isn't noticeable above the sound of computers. Ours is a fairly quiet office.

At home I can up the level a bit and get great sound, but in a quiet home anyone in the same room will hear them. Still, you can get high performance levels while those watching telly in the next room don't hear. These are very much headphones for those that want excellent sound quality and imaging from what is a very effective medium to achieve it, but not for someone who wants isolation either for themselves or for those around them.

I also plan to use these as reference headphones to check equalisation on field recordings and to listen back to binaural recordings which have to be heard on headphone for best effect, though I'd have to do that back at home. In the field I'd either use ear canal headphones or something like the 280Pro. The coiled cable on those is perhaps a consideration for situations where cable snagging can be a problem such as office or mixing desk.

----

I've now directly compared these with the 280. The 280 do actually have more prominent bass, whether due to the cavity or that's the way they are. Also the 280 reveals things like cymbal hits in "Fun Loving Criminals" differently, maybe with more brightness (and a little more hiss from the sound card). You can hear the sticks hitting with both, but on the 280 it's obviously there. This test was done off a PC sound card.

The 595 shines off my proper amplifier. I've not tried the 280 in that situation. The 595 is softer once you've found how to make it fit well, and sounds more 'open'. You're best if you can trying both before buying to see which of the two you like best. They're both good. They're different to each other and maybe suit different music. They both reveal things that my old ones didn't.

Bhagavad Gita (Shambhala Library)
Bhagavad Gita (Shambhala Library)
by Eknath Easwaran

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 4 July 2006
I'm buying this as I'll soon have to give the library copy back! The library copy is ISBN 0-14-019008-2 which I hope is an older edition of the same text.

Arjuna asks questions that I think a lot of us do end up asking. The responses and Arjuna's followup questions are quite inspirational. Having Arjuna as a soldier makes things even more interesting. The soldier must deal with the moral questions of a job which involves killing.

I don't know whether I found this easier to read because I'd already learned a lot about the philosophy of yoga before I read it. A lot of yoga texts refer back to this, and for a yogi I think it is great to go back to the beginning and the original meanings of why we're doing all this. Eknath's text does introduce the concepts incredibly well, so the book should be able to stand out on its own without previous knowledge.

It also puts the different paths into perspective. Eknath's discussion covers other philosophies including Christianity in relation to this and allows you to see how much they all have in common.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2010 4:57 AM GMT

Bare
Bare

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed - I have to wait to listen to it, 9 Jun 2005
This review is from: Bare (Audio CD)
The package arrived at work this morning, and I really looked forward to listening to this CD. I know 1000 Beautiful Things well, and it is on the strength of this I bought the album.
Unfortunately disapointment. The work PC runs Windows XP. Windows Media Player crashed, as did Windows Explorer. The system had to be rebooted.
The CD claims to play on Windows 98 or higher, but it seems not XP. This shows a fallacy with these systems. Computer systems change. One day you'll upgrade to a new Windows, or even a Non-Windows, and you'll find that all your media which played on Windows 9 series is now useless.
Fortunately the Linux box at home has no problem with these CDs, or if it comes to it I can take the digital out from my CD player. It's a shame I have to wait to hear it.

Page: 1 | 2