Profile for Helen > Reviews

Helen

Leapfrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Set - Lower Case
Leapfrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Set - Lower Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you so much, 19 April 2014
I was devastated when our original fridge phonics set died and I discovered that they were not made any more. Mine had lasted 10yrs and been in constant use by various children. So finding a 2nd hand set that I could buy was a huge relief and the children are very happy.
They start off by loving pressing and hearing the sounds, then learning to slot in the letters into the unit, singing the jingles and recognising the letters and sounds.
The only downside is you may get tired of it before they do, but they are learning their letter sounds!!

Numicon: Table-top Number Lines
Numicon: Table-top Number Lines

2.0 out of 5 stars shame about the size, 19 April 2014
I really like Numicon and use it for Pre-schoolers some of whom can count beyond 10. we have the zig zag book for 0 to 10 and it is ideal. I was hoping for 0-20 or 10-20 in the same size, but these are so small we can barely read them. The table top they are designed for must be tiny. They are really not suitable for what I want. I would love a set that are the same size as the zigzag book

Numicon: 100 Square Baseboard
Numicon: 100 Square Baseboard

4.0 out of 5 stars baseboards, 19 April 2014
This has enabled me to use our numicon for several children at the same time. It is what it is.

The Things They Never Taught You In Nursing School (But Should Have!) (NurseFail.com's Books For Nursing Survival Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars what a moany book and what a rotten time the author seems to have had!, 19 April 2014
Perhaps I had misread the book. I was hoping for a humorous look at the pitfalls of starting as a staff nurse, instead I felt I was reading the journal of someone who had had an awful time and was possibly in the wrong career or had just had the unfortunate set of circumstances that had surrounded them with truly awful people. I love Nursing but if I had read this book first, I think I would have trained as a lab technician to keep me as far away from a ward situation as possible!!!

Numicon: Box of 80 Numicon Shapes
Numicon: Box of 80 Numicon Shapes
by Rodney Tancom
Edition: Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Numicon shapes, 19 April 2014
I am using this at home with a variety of ages, the babies like the shapes and colours of the big pieces as do the 1's, the 2, 3 and 4yr olds like putting the pieces on baseboards with increasing ease, and beginning to fit them together and copying the shapes on the overlays and making their own patterns. Hoping to move onto number bonds soon.This big box means that several children can play together, making it a lovely social activity too. You do need to buy enough baseboards and overlays and some activity instructions would have been nice.
would recommend for childminders and home educators

Notes on Nursing What It Is, and What It Is Not
Notes on Nursing What It Is, and What It Is Not

5.0 out of 5 stars Notes on Nursing, 19 April 2014
Have always been impressed with Florence Nightingale. She may not have really understood how infection spreads or modern infection control that we know, but she certainly knew about looking after people who are unwell and has some very sound advice which can still be used today.

Gentle Measures in the Management and Training of the Young Or, the Principles on Which a Firm Parental Authority May Be Established and Maintained, Without ... and the Characteristics of the JuvenileMind

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic book, 19 April 2014
What a fantastic book. Considering it was written in 1800's it describes all the elements of modern theories and practice in child management!! Why have I never heard of this author? It includes being calm and quiet when dealing with behaviour you don't want, social stories, time out, training and encouraging children to take responsibility for their choices, appropriate consequences, putting things in a way that children understand, maintaining parental authority without alienating the children, helping children learn to think through their actions and the potential consequences, It gives examples of do and don'ts with behaviour management.
Obviously being written several centuries ago it is a bit wordy compared to modern texts but well worth reading and persevering with.

Mens Korean Style Slim Fit Hooded Hoodies Jackets Casual Coats Tops Outwear (M, Black)
Offered by Jetest

2.0 out of 5 stars korean style hoodie, 19 April 2014
Material was thin and poor quality. My teenage son chose it. I was not impressed. fit was ok as we followed sizing instructions