Profile for Jim Bunton > Reviews

Epson Expression Home XP-212 All-In-One Printer with Wi-Fi
Epson Expression Home XP-212 All-In-One Printer with Wi-Fi
Offered by Box Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Three Failed Epsons, 19 Dec 2013
This printer was to replace my 10 year old printer to match the print quality and speed provide of my old printer and additionally provide me a WiFi connection and a scanner.

I also hoped to have a pleasurable trip down memory lane. Many years ago now I had sterling service from Epson dot matrix printers churning through piles of tractor feed paper at what seemed then like an amazing speed. They sounded like demented bees for sure with those metal pins hitting a carbon tape at presumably the speed of a bees wings but that's dot matrix printing!

So out of the box, connect to my PC (Windows XP) with a USB cable and the installation went fine. Sure Epson don't provide a USB cable but I've accumulated several over the years.

And so to print. Disappointment! The colour print quality isn't as good as my old printer [which was by no means "top of the range"]. Went through the maintenance routines of checking the nozzles and alignment and cleaning the heads to no avail. Speed? Well to actually print a typical page I had an improvement over my 10 year old veteran but the whirring and clattering time before it actually got round to printing seemed interminable. So I took it back to the shop.

I provide some detail of my experience because I believe the shop was following the terms of their agreement with Epson on returned goods:-

"Ah - have you opened the print cartridges sir?"
"Well yes: how would I know about the print quality otherwise?"
"Because you've opened the cartridges there's nothing we can do sir."
I persisted and so the customers services man decided that he would "do a copy" of something to at least have a look at the print quality. I hadn't tried that. Out came a copy - in monochrome yellow - not in the least like the original.
"Ah you have emptied the print cartridges sir"
"No I haven't"
"Yes you have"
[several times]
"Ah well sir you'll have to buy a new set of cartridges for us to test. [that'll be £24.99]"
"No I won't"
[several times]
Customers services realised that they had another Epson in a cupboard behind the counter - that makes two returned Epsons today. - so they tried cartridges from that one. Press "copy" out comes the monochrome yellow copy again.
So they agree to refund me for the printer.

So just one star for the Epson Expression Home XP-212

I had a discussion with Epson about my problems. Their chat line support is free and they provide you with a typescript of it by email straight afterwards - very good. Its main problem is that it's office hours only so if you work that could be a bit of a problem.

The Epson XP605 Expression Premium with 5 print cartridges and their new Claria Premium Ink will they assure me provide a better print quality. I bought one just over a month ago- it's a disaster. It's back at the shop.

THAT'S THE THIRD FAILED EPSON - for more look at my review of it which I've also added to the XP-610 because this has now replaced the XP 605.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2014 11:30 PM BST

Epson XP605 AIO Expression Premium Wi-Fi Photo Printer
Epson XP605 AIO Expression Premium Wi-Fi Photo Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Three Failed Epsons, 19 Dec 2013
I have an Epson XP605 which I bought less than two months ago. It is no longer shown on Epson's web site. The XP610 is its replacement.

I have this machine because I returned the XP212 I had bought. Its print quality was not as good as the veteran 10 year old DeskJet I wanted to replace to get scanning and WiFi and also because the "Print Copy" button produced only yellow mononchrome on it's colour option.

Epson support assured me that the XP605 which has five cartridges and their new Claira Premium ink would provide me with a better print quality.

It has been a disappointment and the printer has now failed. I have returned it to the shop but they refuse to give me a refund because I've had it for 46 days - that's over the Epson "replacement period" of 30 days. The shop has returned it for repair. When I returned the first printer they tested it using cartridges they had from another Epson they had there - which had obviously also been returned - hence THREE failed Epsons.

Out of the box - the set up ran fine using a USB cable but it sets up two printers! The networked one and one to be connected by USB. No warning about that as far as I remember and could be rather confusing for the inexperienced.

Paper:and Print Quality-
IF you match the printer setting with the paper then the print quality does indeed match my 10 year old veteran. It can provide a detail on digital photographs which exceeds the veteran BUT you do have to use a magnifying glass to see it. The colour is no better.

The issue here is matching the printer settings with the paper. OK if you are willing to throw away all your present paper stock and replace it with Epson Branded paper that may be easy. BUT if you want to use up your current paper and then not pay the extra for Epson Branded you have problems. You will get WILDLY different colour renderings using different paper. So it's a lot of trial and error experimenting with 8 different paper types listed on the printer settings.

So this is a BIG issue. My veteran printer - a by no means "top of the range" DeskJet had an "auto" setting for paper type which never gave me a problem. I never had to use the optional "paper type" settings to get a quality result.

Print Speed:-
Once it started printing the XP605 managed to beat my veteran to print a page BUT the whirring and clanking before it began to print seemed interminable.

Ink:-
The XP605 has 5 cartridges. 1 Normal black, 3 colours, 1 special black for high quality photo printing. IT EATS UP INK.

The original high capacity cartridges have run out in 5weeks so I had to buy replacements. A set of 4 LOW capacity ink cartridges is £32.99 a photo black £14.99. In round figures £49 BUT I can't find a supplier of the photo black cartridge locally.

I ran my veteran printer for a year for less then that.

The problem with the new cartridges is not just money. THEY STOPPED THE PRINTER WORKING CORRECTLY. The nozzle check prints 6 panels to guide you in the realignment process. Two of the these were blank and another only half there.

So onto clean the "Clean the print heads" routine. NO JOY. Cartridges out and back in - NO JOY

On to Epson Chat support - it's a good (free) service and you are emailed a print out of the session afterwards. But office hours only makes it a problem if you have to go to work for a living. They asked me to clean the heads again.

Epson's advice - "If the issue has not been resolved after performing six head cleans, power off the printer and leave it for at least six hours." [useful those printouts].

I declined to try this - we settled for two more tries. By then newly installed cartridges were at less than one third full. The photo black (which only ever printed one photograph) was well nigh empty.

So it's back to the shop. THE THIRD FAILED EPSON.

Scanning:-
The scanner is to me fast and the colour is good [I'm comparing it with an old Cannon that I will no longer work on XP].

HOWEVER, when you put a sheet of A4 on the scanner you discover that the scanner edges are not square. The paper fits to the top edge or the side edge but not both. When you scan you find that an eighth to one quarter of an inch is missing on the edges of you're A4 page. This makes it well nigh impossible to get a correctly orientated scan if you need the edges. You need to get the paper square "about" and eighth to a quarter of an inch from the edge guide of the scanner - AND it must not move when you close the lid. Try it !!!!!!

Duplex Printing:-
When you do automatic printing on the front and back of a page the two sides are not correctly aligned to each other. There is a skew of about 1mm at one end and 2mm at the other. That, Epson inform me, is within tolerance - theirs that is not mine! True that for some purposes you may not notice this but I do as I sometimes want to fold the result with precise positioning of images to the fold front and back. So for that its back to print one side, take it out and put it back in again manually - just like my veteran printer. No progress here for me then.

Epson Expression Premium XP-610 All-in-One Printer with Wi-Fi Direct and Double Sided Printing
Offered by GHZ SERVICE SRL

1.0 out of 5 stars Three failed Epsons, 19 Dec 2013

Paper:and Print Quality-

Print Speed:-

Ink:-

The original high capacity cartridges have run out in 5 weeks so I had to buy replacements. A set of 4 LOW capacity ink cartridges is £32.99 a photo black £14.99. In round figures £49 BUT I can't find a supplier of the photo black cartridge locally.

I ran my veteran printer for a year for less then that.

So it's back to the shop. THE THIRD FAILED EPSON.

Scanning:-

Duplex Printing:-
When you do automatic printing on the front and back of a page the two sides are not correctly aligned to each other. There is a skewed of about 1mm at one end and 2mm at the other. That, Epson inform me, is within tolerance - theirs that is not mine! True that for some purposes you may not notice this but I do as I sometimes want to fold the result with precise positioning of images to the fold front and back. So for that its back to print one side, take it out and put it back in again manually - just like my veteran printer. No progress here for me then.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2013 11:02 AM GMT

Konitz Meets Mulligan
Konitz Meets Mulligan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Konitz Meets Mulligan (Audio CD)
Hadn't heard this music for round about half a century. Cool Jazz at its best. Well it was called modern Jazz in its day but believe me its as fresh and new as ever. Who ever borrowed my original LP and never gave it back: you're forgiven it's a joy to hear it again without the scratches.

Finding this "modern" life is making you feel a bit frayed at the edges. Try the past, present and the future all at once with a new perspective that you'll just love.