Profile for Mr. Douglas I. Howie > Reviews

Content by Mr. Douglas I....

Mr. Douglas I. Howie "huggibear"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Datel Max Memory 2GB Memory Unit (Xbox 360)
Datel Max Memory 2GB Memory Unit (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars It was good while it lasted, 28 Oct 2009
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have been using this memory unit for quite some time now and it's been excellent, I was able to store my profile and save games on it and take them with me when visiting friends. However a new update for the xbox released this week specifically prevents the use of this memory card. Unfortunately I didn't know this until after the update installed which means my saves and profile are now lost. Cheers Microsoft, really friendly of you. :(

this means you're limited to the official Microsoft MU's that have a maximum size of 512mb and get filled almost instantly.

Had they not just done this I would be giving this card 5 stars and encouraging everyone to have one, now it's just a worthless bit of plastic.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2010 7:46 PM BST

School of Rock [DVD] [2004]
School of Rock [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Jack Black
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold high your goblet of rock!!, 15 July 2004
This review is from: School of Rock [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
What a fantastic film! Highly amusing from start to finish and filled to the brim with some proper rock. This entire film was designed around Jack Black and it shows, he stands out and shines as a great comedian and devout rock fan. The plot doesn't have any real surprises, but that's ok as you're getting exactly what you expect. A kids comedy film based around the greatness of Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath and other legendary rock bands.
Wonderful and certainly worth buying.

Netgear WG511T 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card
Netgear WG511T 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Freedom, 7 Jun 2004
My aim of late has been to setup a proper fully working wireless network in my house that I can use to connect several PCs, a server and my playstation to the internet. So I got BT Broadband, then took advantage of the offer that amazon were doing to get one of these PC cards free with a Netgear DG834G router.
I have to say that I'm very glad I did, configuring the WG511T card was incredibly easy, just install the software, then plug in the card and hey presto it found my router. All I had to do then was tell it to connect and give it my 128 bit WEP encryption passphrase, which is 100 times easier to remember than the actual encryption key itself. And that was the end of it.
The quality of signal is fantastic even a few rooms away, even on different floors. I can also rest safe in the knowledge that I'll not need to replace it for a while as it is capable of double the speed of my access point.
Definately a good card to use for novice and expert w/lan owners alike.

Gran Turismo Concept  - Platinum (PS2)
Gran Turismo Concept - Platinum (PS2)
Offered by media-4-u

4.0 out of 5 stars GT3 Lite, 7 Jun 2004
I have been a huge fan of the Gran Turismo series since the very first one and somehow they've managed to improve on the previous version every time they have another crack at it. This however is not the next step in the series, but rather a "what if" of Gran Turismo 3. In this case the question is "what if I had the opportunity to drive those impressive looking concept cars that you see at motorshows and that never see real tarmac".
Unlike GT3 this game is very quick to get going while still retaining the high graphical and audio quality and overall gameplay of GT3. So far so good, there are yet more jaw droppingly fantastic cars to go tearing round the tracks in. (and the pod?!?!? you'll know what I mean when you see it)
Once you get a significant way through the game you are rewarded with additional credits and bronze for all of the licences for your GT3 save. This is very handy if you're just getting started on the original game.
Now comes the one and only problem. There is just not enough of the game so if you're an experienced GT driver this is not really going to stretch you and will be over all to soon. Still fantastic fun though.
Essential for Gran Turismo fans, for those people who aren't yet, I'd recommend getting GT3 first and becoming a fan before getting this one.

Fallen
Fallen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking over me, 15 May 2004
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
I like just about any music going, but my first love has and will always be rock. Occasionally however there are certain songs that seem to strike a chord within my very soul, my blood runs cold and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. And that's precisely how I felt half way through watching Daredevil at the cinema.
The songs 'Bring me to life' containing the pure sound of Amy Lee's voice with the rage of the nu-metal riffs behind it and 'My Immortal' which is filled with such heart wrenching sorrow, both slammed in to me with such power that I had absolutely no choice but to watch the credits, find out who sang them, buy the soundtrack and then track down and buy this album.
Joy of joys I found out that the rest of the album held just as much anger, pain and sorrow as the two selected for the film. This is no mere album that relies on it's two big hits to carry it through. Every song on it has the ability to lift you off in a whirlwind of emotion that lets you know all rock, both good and bad has been evolving with the sole purpose of arriving at this album which is the Pinnacle of its genre.
It doesn't matter what you listen to. This is an absolute must for any music collection.

Alias (PS2)
Alias (PS2)
Offered by funfair games

4.0 out of 5 stars The name's Bristow, Sydney Bristow., 5 May 2004
This review is from: Alias (PS2) (Video Game)
I've been quite a fan of the tv series for a while now, so I've been looking forward to the release of this game and I have to say I'm pleased with the results. It's a third person stealth combat affair so if you like Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Hitman and the Tenchu stealth assassin games this will be right up your street.
The basic premise is that you are Sydney Bristow, CIA agent and up until recently a double agent working inside SD-6. Now you are sneaking your way through various espionage missions in an effort to "acquire" items and information and generally save the world. They've clung quite close to the tv series so the characters are all there in their usual roles. At your disposal are a large number of gadgets and gismos provided by the technical guru (geek) Marshall, also there is your years of spy training and martial arts knowledge.
The graphics are superb, they've evidently taken some time to try and get the shapes of the faces right as you can really recognise the people you're working with and the surroundings look convincing. The voice acting is good, as are the sound effects. The gameplay is reasonable with nothing too difficult to achieve and it has a longevity that will keep you kicking butt in to the small hours of the morning.
"So if this game's soo superb why only the 4 rating?" I hear you ask, well as silly as it sounds you can't jump, the best you can hope to achieve is to climb nearby objects if they are climable, also there's no tutorial so you're thrown straight in to the action without a clue how to do anything. This is not a major problem either as there is nothing too difficult to do after a bit of practice even taking on four or five guys with guns at the same time is achievable. (which ironically is also a little disappointing) My final gripe is that the stealth aspect is very hit and miss. You can be creeping along confident that you're safe and get spotted without any warning, a few moment later you could be in the open just standing around and people a little distance away will not notice you.
In all I'm thoroughly enjoying this game and its links to the Alias tv series and would recommend it to fans and gamers alike. But this game doesn't quite match the awesomeness of Tenchu for me.

The Getaway (PS2)
The Getaway (PS2)
Offered by multimedia-online

4.0 out of 5 stars I like driving in my car, 7 April 2004
This review is from: The Getaway (PS2) (Video Game)
Like most people I'm going to have to start by mentioning GTA3. The basic premise of running around shooting people and stealing cars from a third person perspective is great and works for both games, (not that I recommend doing it in real life obviously) but other than the fundamental structure of the game, that's as far as a comparison can go, everything else is different.
The plot is that your son has been kidnapped, your wife killed and you're being forced to create havoc throughout the city to try and get your boy back. It's a linear storyline so there's no galavanting off and doing your own thing unlike a certain other game. It's all business.
Graphics are reasonable, but the major brownie points are earned from the fact that they've done a complete and accurate street map of the main part of London, signs, landmarks the works. I have to say that while I'm careering past Buckingham palace with the police and opposing gangsters on my tail I do try and enjoy the scenery.
Also as other people have commented, they have tried to make this game movie realistic. So there are no floating health bars or maps to guide you, if you're shot up then you need to rest on a nearby wall before carrying on. Also You're not going to find any rocket launchers lying around, the biggest gun you'll see is an ak47 which you can't hide in magic trousers and seeing as the law can and do come after you if you wave guns around you will most likely get spotted carrying it.
Control of the character and the cars is... interesting, there's no camera control so if you want to change camera angle you have to move a bit and get the camera to follow you. This also makes turning around something of an art as the direction you travel is also partially dependant on the position of the camera. It takes some getting used to and even then can be a bit annoying.
The cars however are different again, you're driving actual cars such as the Saxo, a BT Van, a couple of types of Lexus, some old fashioned Rovers as well as the classic black cab and double decker bus to name but a few. There's a certain quantity of realism in driving these things, but as you don't know how fast you're going you can believe you're driving reasonably right up until you slide wildly when you turn a corner. Again it's a matter of practice.
Now with all of that said I've been having a great time playing it, it's not too hard and flying around London in various "acquired" cars is excellent fun.
The swearing in it is quite frequent, it's actually easier to count the non-swear words and adding that to the visit to the strip joint has earned this its 18 certificate. But if you don't mind that sort of thing it's well worth giving this a bash.

Yu Gi Oh: Volume 4 - Give Up The Ghost [DVD]
Yu Gi Oh: Volume 4 - Give Up The Ghost [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yu-Gi-Oh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Yugi stand a ghost of a chance?, 17 Mar 2004
The saga continues in this, the fourth volume of the excellent Yu Gi Oh cartoon series. To briefly recap, the story centres on Yugimoto, a young boy with a great deal of skill at playing a card game called duel monsters. Pegasus, the maker of the game has stolen the soul of his grandfather and Yugi must now battle his way through a card tournament to win it back.
To open with, we see the concluding part of the two episode battle between Yugi & what appears to be his first adversary, Seto Kaiba (or is it?). Following on from this, Joey learns an important lesson about friendship when he duels the Dinosaur Duelist, Rex Raptor, with the help of a card given to him by Tristan. The final episode of the DVD shows the concluding part of Joey's battle, Rex raises the stakes by bringing out his most powerful monster, then suggesting that the winner of the duel should take the cards on the field. After the duel there is a brief respite followed by the arrival of a friend, Bakura, who challenges Yugi to a friendly duel. as soon as the duel starts however, Yugi quickly realises that this will be no ordinary duel...
As always this is another great set of episodes in a superb cartoon series, my one and only criticism is that I wish there were more episodes per DVD. The animation is impressive and the characters are just believable enough, I particularly like the way that there is just as much happening between the characters as there is in the card games. Without the underlying storyline this would never have been as succesful program as it has become. While it is possible to pickup what is happening half way through, like all series it's best if you actually start from the beginning so I'd recommend seeing volumes 1-3 first.
In conclusion then, Children can enjoy the epic battles between weird and wonderful monsters, and grown-ups can be entertained by Yugi's struggle to overcome the obstacles on his path to defeating Pegasus and rescuing his grandfather (as well as the epic battles between weird and wonderful monsters). There's something for everybody.

Yu Gi Oh - Vol. 3 - Attack From The Deep [DVD]
Yu Gi Oh - Vol. 3 - Attack From The Deep [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yu-Gi-Oh!
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets Duel!, 17 Mar 2004
I first saw Yu Gi Oh on telly in America and became hooked, so naturally when it started airing on Saturday mornings in the UK I made sure I was watching it. Now that it's on DVD I can catch up on the episodes I missed.
Yu Gi Oh is an excellent cartoon series, the story so far is that it is based around a card game which it calls duel monsters and a young boy Yugi who plays it. The person that designed the card game has stolen Yugi's grandfather's soul. Now Yugi is going to win a tournament to retrieve his soul.
These next three episodes show the continuation of his journey through the tournament and a re-match against an old adversary?
This is a good, well thought out series with engaging characters and some very impressive monsters. Perfect for kids and big kids alike.

The Lion King 3: Hakuna Matata (Special 2-Disc Set) [DVD] [2004]
The Lion King 3: Hakuna Matata (Special 2-Disc Set) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Nathan Lane
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Can you feel the love tonight?, 16 Mar 2004
How amusing is this film?!? The idea of having a little fun with and around the original film is genius and Timon & Pumbaa are just the characters to do it.
The general idea is that you follow what was happening to Timon & Pumbaa at the time of the original film. As such you occasionally get them crashing through some geniune sections of the first film which suddenly puts a whole new slant on things.
Unlike most disney sequels, this one seems to have been well thought out and prepared rather than an attempt to further cash in on a previous success. This means the animation, music and story telling are all quite slick.
But you're most likely looking at this either to buy for your children or because you're a big kid/disney fan yourself. So you'll be glad to know that this film has humour that will appeal to both children & adults, is suitable for anyone to watch and will not get boring after a few repeat performances. (especially as I know people who have been forced to sit through Disney films a few hundred times by their children and are slowly losing the will to live)
This is a truly fantastic romp through the pridelands that leaves the original films dignity intact. Definitely a must.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3