Profile for Mr. C. H. Johnstone > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. H. John...

Mr. C. H. Johnstone (uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
GOJI TINCHY STRYDER Wireless Portable Speaker
GOJI TINCHY STRYDER Wireless Portable Speaker

3.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty decent., 22 Oct. 2013
I'll make this quick and painless.
Pros:
-Nice punch mid bass, treble and vocals (for most part)
-Can go pretty loud
-Portable
-Simple layout, easy to connect, has jack if no bluetooth
-Multiple speaker so can give depth
-Great with synth sounds and general "pop" music (even though I don't listen to it).

Cons:
-Mine was a bit overpriced tbh
-Low bass is almost non existent, but it does try
-Muffled for some vocals, likes men singing over women (misogynistic I know)
-Tends to be all or nothing, some songs like euphoric dnb sound great others mmm not so much
-On a "bad" song manages to distort at low volume and gets noticeably better at higher volumes for some reason...
-Might be a bit dated now
-Can't handle multiple heavy beats at the same time

Overall: there are better portable speakers in the world but if it's relatively cheap (like £20) go for it. Works well for pop and djent music and dnb but not really for dubstep, witchhouse and anything requiring heavy bass

Leap Motion Controller (Interacts with your Mac or PC, comes with Airspace)
Leap Motion Controller (Interacts with your Mac or PC, comes with Airspace)

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of potential, maybe not for everyone, 18 Oct. 2013
Got mine today and reading other review I thought the controller would be pretty basic almost prototype stage.
I've been using it a few hours now and I can say it's definitely fulfilled my best expectations for it.

I'm quite a big gadget freak and this is a must have for any sci-fi fanatic or for anyone who is bored of using conventional means of controlling a computer. The thing itself is rather small and very nicely made. You can clearly see when it's active or not as the laser transmitters glow a nice red and the rubber bottom helps to stop it sliding around so it can be easily put onto a laptop surface.

I did have a couple of glitches while installing, I'm on win7 and to start it didn't like the usb 3 port I gave it then was a bit iffy with finding the installation package downloaded off the website. So if you're technically handicapped you may find it a bit frustrating or confusing to start.

The laser mapping itself is rather large, which is good as it has very nice depth perception but can be a bit off when pointing/moving from one side to another and you may find yourself pointing well away from the screen to get to where you want to go (I recommend setting auto to the height mapping, then it'll adjust to keep you pointing correctly)

I think they have released a fair few updates for it as I find it very responsive and accurate but in terms of mapping how many fingers you're holding up (which is used to select things) it will misjudge but it's not too bad.

There's a store with a load of paid and a few free apps, the best I've found being "Touchless" this allows you to actually control the desktop and everything else (except steam) with the leap. It's very handy. I also like the pre installed "instructions" which are very well constructed and simple. The creative apps are kinda expensive and I wouldn't recommend buying until further performance updates are released. Anything music related is amazing though.

Overall I really like it, it has a good bit of room for improvement and the app store needs to grow but it's also obviously made a lot of progress from reading old reviews and comparing. Buy if you're eager but if you can wait it'll be worth it to see the future updates make life easier for installation and use.

Advanced Biology Second Edition (Advanced Sciences)
Advanced Biology Second Edition (Advanced Sciences)
by Michael Kent

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good overall, 6 Oct. 2013
I am currently doing a HE course before going to uni next year. I've done A level Biology (ocr) as well as Chemistry and Physics and in terms of quality the ocr biology text book is probably the best I've seen so far apart from being in a bit of a weird order for some of the genetics topics.
Pros-
-Very nice diagrams which are quite clear. Better than any other textbook I've seen
-Covers a lot of areas, especially in more biomedical areas than other textbooks
-Uses a good, vast, vocabulary
-The secondhalf of the book seems to be better, the section "cells" is the worst by far.

Cons-
-Very badly explained, I get the impression that the author was in quite a rush to get the page finished because there's a lot of writing but I find that there isn't really a solid explanation. It kind of waffles on quite a bit (this can be interesting sometimes but tedious mostly)
-Terrible order to pages, looking back at the order in which areas of a topic are covered is almost backwards on some pages. It's almost like learning the hard things first to then understand the easy things, well, a lot easier... If that makes sense.
-Another thing with the explanations is that you have to search and piece an explanation together from a length of text, words are highlighted but surely just giving an explanation to what something does is better than having to piece one together (especially if you don't understand a certain area).

I do find this book frustrating, there's the relevant information in there somewhere it's just you have to search for it. It has potential to be a fantastic book but for £45 I would rather have bought my previous' ones back.
In the end I think it depends on how you learn, if you are good at making your own explanations from searching then you may get on well but for intensive courses like the one I'm currently doing, it's really innapropriate.

Nike Fuelband (Medium) (Medium)
Nike Fuelband (Medium) (Medium)
Offered by Always Open Always

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, maybe not for everyone, 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Nike Fuelband (Medium) (Misc.)
I got my nike fuelband second hand but never used.
Pros- Very motivating to exercise instead of taking buses/car. I just love seeing the fuel gauge fill up, I went drinking last night. Realising that I was at 90% completion with around 20mins before midnight I bought it on myself to sprint the remaining way to achieve the awesome "goal" show when you reach the target.
- I think there's a light intensity sensor because when I activate it in daylight the time will come up and then increase brightness to be more visible but at night it stays the same.
-Very clear led's.
-the simplicity of having one button and managing the settings on the computer.
-The nike+ pc software is really nice, but can be a bit weird having 2 places to do settings for the band (nike+ online opens up with the pc software). I also like that you can set goals and customise how many fuel points you want to get.

Cons- My band's battery life is a bit sporadic, I charge every 20 hours give or take and sometimes it'll charge in an hour and sometimes in 10 minutes but the battery bar will usually be around 1/2 full. I think this may just be mine though seeing as it was second hand and on zero battery for quite a while
- Nike+ app is only on ios, so android and everyone else has to plug their fuelband into the computer every day to upload progress.
-Can cause slight discomfort when doing push ups or repetitive hand movements (I mean like tennis, not what you're thinking).

Overall- great for people trying to track stats for physio reasons, people trying to lose weight who need motivation/ a plan and for athletes to track calories and distance. I think it'll work very well for most but not for some (if you're impressed by flashy stuff and need motivation like me then this a must).
You can even just use it to ensure you keep a healthy balance of calorie intake, another thing I use it for to try make my eating habits healthier

Beurer EM 35 Electronic Stimulation Unit - Silver/Black
Beurer EM 35 Electronic Stimulation Unit - Silver/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, 22 Feb. 2013
I'm 18, 65kgs, 6ft 3.
I have tried getting abs for ages or at least tone but never happened until I got this, I used it twice and my abs are a lot firmer.
When you first get it, it's hilarious, the weird noises you make is amazing. But one thing is it doesn't burn fat it just tones so it can look a bit weird if you have stomach fat

Overall defo worth buying

Londonmagicstore® Gadgets DeepBlue S-Line Wave Series TPU Silicone Gel Case Cover for Sony ST26i Xperia J with 3 Layered Screen Protector & timri Microfibre LCD Cleaning Cloth - Part of the AIO Accessories Range
Offered by ONX3

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly useless really, 22 Feb. 2013
I really can't decide whether this is worth it or not, so...

Pros-
- Back looks very nice
- Camera hole is very good
- Enough room for post 3mm jacks to still fit
- Makes unlock button a bit easier to press
- Very good side grips, spikey, not going anywhere
- Smooth part of back (smaller bit) is grippy enough
- Fits well enough

Cons-
- Does part from sides rather easily
- Even harder to press volume controls (but may be easier for some with long nails as you have to stab it a bit)
- 70% of back is slippy (original back has more grip)
- Quietens and muffles music slightly (worst as you get louder of course)
- Only the back is really covered, if dropped at an angle would still cause serious cracks, applies for both top and bottom of phone

It's an okay case but don't expect much screen protection from the case, it's more for back and corner knocks. The screen it comes with is just a standard screen, goes on fine and doesn't mess the front camera up which is good.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 20 Aug. 2012
I bought this today 2nd hand for about £22 so for the price it's amazing.
I bought this camera for reading festival 2012 so if it gets broken it doesn't matter too much, it's a good size so fits in the hand nicely and easy in the pocket.
Has multiple scene settings (not as many as my olympic tg-610 but that was £170) but generally firework mode makes fireworks look amazing, a lot of tech has gone into this setting with little boast.
Good zoom, both digital and optical, the lens doesn't stick out much which is handy for me.
Big, clear screen. Buttons are quite easy to use, very simple lay out.
The camera is for anyone really, there's auto everything for beginners and manual over-rides for the pro's so everyone gets a blast out of this camera.
If you zoom out on photos or press display in viewing mode there's a timeline thing where it shows when you took the photos (what day/m/y etc...)
There's also a tripod screw thing which is always good to ave for night photos (even tells you to use one in some settings)
The door can be opened easily but the card and battery are held in place well so not much of an issue if you do catch it open.
Flash is small but effective with a few settings for it so you don't make people look too drunk when taking photos in the dark.

Overall I really like this camera, I do think it is slightly overpriced on amazon since I got mine for £22 (£12 with cex voucher)but still defo worth the price

JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones
Offered by Picsio

5.0 out of 5 stars eargasm, 10 May 2012
I listen to mostly dnb and dubstep, but some metal & post hardcore so bass is key with my taste. I bought these on reccomendation from a fellow basshead and my god are these things great. It's like having a fat subwoofer in each ear. Some people have been moaning about these and they quite simply need to be quiet. Theses are the best earphones ive ever listened to and I prefer the bass on these to dr dre's even though dre's have better treble and somehow make low quality music, high. But dre's are £110 and these are £16.
I can understand what some people say about less treble due to bass but it's hardly noticeable, I wouldn't of noticed had I not been listening out for it...
all in all best headphones for the best price. Buy them, you will not be dissapointed.
Oh one last thing, you will need an axel grinder to get into the packaging, it's hench

This Is A Fix
This Is A Fix
Offered by Springwood Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Feb. 2012
This review is from: This Is A Fix (Audio CD)
Let me start by saying this, I am a die-hard Automatic fan so when I saw people saying this album was bad I was disappointed, by god are they wrong! This is my favourite album of the three in my opinion it has the best tunes, some argue tear the signs down is better but I see them as about the same. I say now the departure of Penny who's iconic screaming plagued some of the songs but aided some is hardly missed even though I thought it was an ok sound... Also take into mind they write their own lyrics so they aren't spot on and in some cases bloody terrible but no matter as they conjoin with the beat and tune fantastically. I get a kind of Enter Shikari theme in some songs like magazines & accessories where they front their views of society and being part of it. Some say the song steve mcqueen is the best song, it really isn't, This ship is probably my favourite but just my opinion.
If you enjoyed the 1st album buy this one, the good outweighs the bad lyrics greatly...

Exspect EX882 - In Ear Earphone - Black
Exspect EX882 - In Ear Earphone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars I love these things, 7 Jan. 2012
I bought a pair last year, I listen to loads of drum and bass, dubstep etc and for the money the bass is epic. Far better than the creative ones, I also got a pair of those, they have ok bass better treble but the creative cable is terrible, snaps at the jack. The cable on these are very sturdy, if a little thick and can stay in position so if you curl them it shows. When I first got these I was quite impressed but compared to some £20 ones my friend has and the £15 I have these blow them away!
The only problem is that they only last about 6 months if you're a basshead like me, I always get the left side blow due to bass overload but definately worth buying these again.
They come with different buds which can fit loads of different ear types and they are quite good at noise cancelling but for £5 you can't have everything. Buy. Now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4