Profile for Dee > Reviews

Content by Dee

Dee "dee16291" (UK)

House Of Cards - Season 1 (DVD + UV Copy)
House Of Cards - Season 1 (DVD + UV Copy)
Dvd ~ Kevin Spacey

5.0 out of 5 stars Is Frank the new Francis?, 5 July 2014
Loved the original House of Cards so was a bit reticent about seeing this, but with Kevin Spacey in the lead role it had to be worth a try. This is absolutely not a remake of the original, it's a new story in a different country which certainly plays homage to the original but with a totally different take. And Frank Underwood is a worthy successor to Francis Urquart. He couldn't possibly comment though........

The Outcast Dead: A Ruth Galloway Investigation (Ruth Galloway series Book 6)
The Outcast Dead: A Ruth Galloway Investigation (Ruth Galloway series Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, 30 Jan. 2014
As with all of Elly Griffith's books this is a page turner that ends up keeping you up half the night because you can't put it down.

Broken Angels (Katie Maguire Book 2)
Broken Angels (Katie Maguire Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Cork Based thriller, 30 Jan. 2014
Was drawn to this book because it was set in Cork (an area I know very well) = so glad I was, this is a real page turner although not for the squeamish - the descriptions of the torture are quite graphic but never gratuitous.

The Lost Child of Philomena Lee: A Mother, Her Son and a Fifty Year Search
The Lost Child of Philomena Lee: A Mother, Her Son and a Fifty Year Search

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but harrowing, 30 Jan. 2014
Read this after I had seen the film Philomena. Although the film is based loosely on the book the book itself concentrates far more on the life of Philomena's son. Fascinating social history which illustrates the terrible homophobia suffered by the lost child. Well worth a read but understand that the film and the book are very different indeed although both are excellent in different ways.

Cork Bath / Shower Mat
Cork Bath / Shower Mat
Offered by Babas Cave Online Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Cork Bath / Shower Mat
Very absorbent, and smooth to the touch. Would recommend as a purchase, very reasonably priced, arrived on time and well wrapped.

Evil for Evil (DI Marjory Fleming Book 7)
Evil for Evil (DI Marjory Fleming Book 7)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as previous installments, 10 Jun. 2013
Good story but I just didn't think it was as good as previous instalments. Look forward to the next one.

Simply Sleep - Embrace Sleep, Leave Insomnia Behind
Simply Sleep - Embrace Sleep, Leave Insomnia Behind
Offered by Positive Retail

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep, dreamless sleep......., 5 Nov. 2011
I first used this CD when I came out of hospital after four months. Having been very ill and not really having slept properly for the whole time I was in (being very ill, noisy wards etc)I found it impossible to sleep when I got home. After months of imagining a good nights sleep in my own bed I found that it completely eluded me. I have to admit I was sceptical about whether this method would work but after a month I was willing to try anything! From the first night I tried Simply Sleep I have had deep, dreamless sleep whenever I use it. Not only did Alan sort out the initial acute problem but I've returned to the CD again and again and it always works. It even worked when I ended up back in hospital for a fortnight, if Simply Sleep can manage to make me sleep on a busy surgical ward it can manage it anywhere. Thoroughly recommended!Simply Sleep - Embrace Sleep, Leave Insomnia Behind

Testament Of Youth: An Autobiographical Study of the Years 1900-1925 (Virago classic non-fiction)
by Vera Brittain

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that changed my life, 8 Feb. 2007
I first read this book when I was about 15 and it had such a remarkable effect on my life that 25 years later I still return to it again and again. It encapsulates so much of the period; the desperate need to get into higher education, the horror of war and its aftermath, how to make sense of it all and finally the joy of love and of friendship. Try Chronicles of Youth as well, the diaries on which she based the book.