Profile for D. Owen > Reviews

Battery cut off Switch - WITH FUSE
Battery cut off Switch - WITH FUSE

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to fit and works well., 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Battery cut off Switch - WITH FUSE
Very easy to fit, and does the job it's designed to do. It feels well made, and has lasted well - I've had it for over two years now (forgot to review it until now!) and it's still as good as new. Since my classic has started to drain the battery when left overnight, this is a handy little gadget until I get round to tracking down the fault!

De'Longhi KG79 Professional Burr Grinder
De'Longhi KG79 Professional Burr Grinder

5.0 out of 5 stars Omnomnom!, 9 Feb 2014
As a man of simple desires I wanted something that would grind coffee beans and last for a decent length of time. That's it really. I'm not too fussy about the exact grade of grinding, just so long as I can get something similar to what I get in bags of ground coffee from the supermarket. This has done the job nicely - you can select how fine you grind your beans (never something I've used, though I've read online reports there's a simple mod you can do to get this to grind super-fine espresso style), and you can select how much coffee you want to grind. The latter is the only option I want when grinding coffee really, and I'm pleased to say if you ask it for more lovely coffee powder that is what you get.

I've had it for over a year and it's never missed a beat, and it was a reasonable sort of price, so I'd recommend it to others.

Amplicomms Watch and Care V100 Digital Monitoring System (White)
Amplicomms Watch and Care V100 Digital Monitoring System (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bit of kit!, 9 Feb 2014
We bought this to spy on our baby, to make sure he wasn't entertaining dancing girls in his room, or trying to do himself an injury on the blinds. It works very well indeed for all of these things. He turned one a few days ago, and so far we've had no problems with the monitor - it has good range throughout the house (we even used it in the garden over the summer) and the image and sound is very clear. We like the fact you can set the sensitivity at which the monitor will trigger when it's on standby, so you don't need it on all night, it will just light up and play sound when it detects a noise. The camera works very well in night vision with a surprisingly clear image.

The other features we use less - the intercomm tends to be quite distorted, so we use it more for scaring the bejeesus out of each other than for talking to the sprog, and the music feature is quite harsh sounding so is unlikely to lull a baby off to sleep (then again they are strange little things and I'm sure there are some babies out there who would like it). Not really a criticism of the product from our viewpoint, we only wanted something that would give a clear image, good sound, go on snooze and not explode within 3 months of purchase. This ticks all the boxes, and was a reasonable price compared to other monitors on the market.

Backpack Rucksack Jeep Hand Luggage Size Cabin Flight Bag 576G
Backpack Rucksack Jeep Hand Luggage Size Cabin Flight Bag 576G
Offered by Bags67

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough as old boots., 9 Feb 2014
I work on oil rigs, so I'm constantly chucking my bag in planes and helicopter cargo holds where they take some abuse, and it's amazing to see how quickly some expensive bags can start to fray before they disintegrate. I've had this bag for a year now, and it looks as good as the day I bought it. It's very tough, well stitched together, and has lots of nice little features such as the clipable straps around the sides to pull it down compact for travelling, along with lots of different pockets and pouches. It's very comfortable to wear, and on top of all that it was a complete bargain to buy. Highly recommended!

Carplan Oil Drainer Can CAR-TPD010 - 9L
Carplan Oil Drainer Can CAR-TPD010 - 9L

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes the job a lot tidier., 9 Feb 2014
This is a very handy gadget to have when doing an oil change - much neater than hacking up old oil bottles, and it has the added advantage that you can just plug it up, give it a wipe down and then trundle off to the local waste center to dispose of the oil. It's well designed, with a plugable vent, a pouring spout for when you want to dispose of the oil, and fins on the drain surface to channel oil into the hole. I found it was still a good idea to put a sheet or towel down beneath this when changing oil as you can still get splashes, but that may be more of an issue with my Jeep because the drain hole is at an angle rather than pointing straight down.

Spark Plug Wrench 16mm(SILVERLINE 598422)
Spark Plug Wrench 16mm(SILVERLINE 598422)
Offered by Nanoprotec Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well!, 9 Feb 2014
I read a few reviews saying these were prone to breaking - I don't know what those reviewers were doing with their wrenches, but I've had the 6 spark plugs in and out of my car 3 times with this so far and it's not shown any signs of cracking or bending. It's a good solid wrench that works well - the rubber insert is handy for gripping the plugs and pulling them out of the engine if they're not very accessible. The spring can get in the way if you have a tight access point, but it can be slid up the handle to get it out of the way - not a big hassle, and there are times when it's very helpful to have it.

Cosatto Giggle 3-in-1 Travel System Giggle Car Seat Compatible (2013 Range, All Star)
Offered by Just Another Baby?

4.0 out of 5 stars It's excellent, don't rule it out over early teething problems., 17 Oct 2013
My partner and I bought one of these when they first came out, there were very few reviews available, so we made our decision based on spending time in our local store trying out different prams. We found for the price (which back then was around £400) the Giggle was a very attractive package. It sits below the Oysters and iCandy, but is on the same level in terms of build quality (I thought the Oyster actually felt quite flimsy in certain areas compared to this - the hood in particular seemed very lightweight and brittle).

You get a strong, light aluminium chassis, with easily interchangeable carry options - a travel cot, a stroller and (for an extra cost) a car seat. Changing between the different options is a doddle, they just clip straight on - you will need adaptors for the car seat to make it fit, but once you have fitted them to the seat you can leave them in place, so it's a once-only 20 second job to plug them in. Folding the Giggle down and putting it up is a breeze, and is super quick. It folds very flat, and takes up little room once stowed. The only design issue I have is that it can be quite easy to accidentally engage the brake while you're walking - which makes you look like a plonker. It never happens to my partner, so I can only assume it's my masculine feet and manly, commanding stride that causes the issue (at least that's what I tell myself to ease the shame of skidding the pram down the high street).

Earlier I compared the Cosatto to other prams in terms of build quality. I'm sure if you're reading this you will be aware of some issues that have been in the media about this pram - namely the spontaneous folding down. This is obviously a massive issue, but I'd urge you not to write off the Giggle as an option over it - the problem has now been fixed, it was a plastic bracket which, in certain batches, was too brittle. Cosatto actually tracked us down as purchasers and told us about the upgrade they have developed, and they will carry it out free of charge. If you have a Giggle and aren't sure if it's from a bad batch, you can check the serial number on the Cosatto website and this will tell you if you need to have the upgrade.

Since the issue is now resolved, I think the Giggle is an excellent choice, and now the price has dropped (presumably due to the publicity) it makes what has to be the best bargain out there at the moment.

I'd highly recommend this pram.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2014 11:54 AM BST

Lollipop Lane Muslin Squares (Ladybug, Pack Of 6)
Lollipop Lane Muslin Squares (Ladybug, Pack Of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 6 April 2013
I bought these because with a new baby, you simply can't have too many muslin squares! There's not much to say about them really, other than they feel of good quality, and after having been through the wash many times they are still looking fresh. The ladybirds are also rather cute. :o)

400ml Multi Textured Deep Forest
400ml Multi Textured Deep Forest

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 6 April 2013
I bought these to spray some furniture for my recording studio. The finish is great, it's hard to believe it's spray paint once it's dried as the texture is quite deep and the finish is very hard and feels durable. It's also a great colour, there are lots of different shades in there.

It did work out quite expensive to spray several items of furniture as a thin coat doesn't look right - you need to do a few layers to let the texture develop, but I'm still happy I did it because the end result is superb. If you're wanting to refresh a smaller item, you can't go wrong with this stuff!

Richardson Sheffield Kyu 5 Piece Knife Block Set
Richardson Sheffield Kyu 5 Piece Knife Block Set
Offered by Select Homeware

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 6 April 2013
I'm very happy with these knives, they're well balanced, stylish, high quality and very, very sharp! The block they come with is also very nice, and is sturdily built. Great value!

Page: 1 | 2