Profile for Jersey Customer > Reviews

Content by Jersey Customer

Jersey Customer (Jersey, Channel Islands)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Da Bird Interactive Feather Cat Toy - Easy Store / Pull Apart Rod
Da Bird Interactive Feather Cat Toy - Easy Store / Pull Apart Rod
Offered by Best Pets

5.0 out of 5 stars The best wand toy we've ever bought for our cats - don't be put off by the price, it's worth it!, 25 Aug 2014
If you're a cat owner like us (and we have four!) then toys on strings are not new to you. We've all bought them, used them, offered them to our cats! So what makes this one worth five stars? What makes this one worth paying what is - for a cat toy - quite a lot of money for it? Why do our cats seem to love it more than any other 'toy on a string' they've ever played with? I hope I can answer these questions, and more, in a way that makes some kind of sense to anyone reading this who is wondering if they should bother buying one!

Perhaps I should go back a step and say that we have discovered a wonderful man called Jackson Galaxy on Animal Planet, who - despite the rather hyberbolic title of his show ('My Cat From Hell') - actually speaks a lot of sense about how to look after, and play with, cats. Not just 'problem' cats (who, to be honest, more often are the victim of problem owners) but any cat. The 'Da Bird' toy is the one that Jackson uses most when he's seen trying to engage a cat in play with a toy on a string/wand and he also recommends it on his excellent website (JacksonGalaxy.com). We all think we 'know' how to engage a cat in play, but he's taught even us, with our four cats, that there's more to it than just dangling the stick and expecting the cat to do all the work!

Which brings me back to this particular toy. Our cats have used (and destroyed!) loads of this type of toy over the years - three out of the four of them are 'outdoor cats' by choice, the other is mostly and indoor cat by choice, but all of them have their hunting skills finely honed! We must never forget that cats are just finely honed hunting and killing machines who have somehow fooled us humans that they're sweet and need looking after... but they are like any other member of the cat family; they stalk, hunt and kill (including the all-important 'four leg wrap-around' action), followed by eating, grooming and sleeping. And it's those six steps that all cats need to go through every day to be happy cats who are not a pain in the neck in terms of scratching/biting their human carers - something that, as Jackson has to point out with alarming regularity, is the reason why owners think they've got a 'problem' cat; they haven't, they just don't understand their cat's need to go through those stages around twice a day!

So, you know how to engage your cat in play with a toy on a stick - you have to make it 'become' the prey they are naturally programmed to hunt. If you have an indoor cat it's even more important to allow your cat this time each day, otherwise they'll go for feet, hands and furniture instead! Even if you have outdoor cats, they probably won't want to go out much on a day like today (as I write, the rain is hammering down, and all four have said 'no thanks' to going out in that!) but they still need to go through their cat motions as they would outside. We'll be using our 'Da Bird' a lot today!

The toy itself (sorry it's taken so long to get to that bit!) is very well made. The want is extra long and very thin with lots of 'bounce' in it. It comes in two parts, which you then join to together. The string is also thinner than most other toys I've used of this nature - its thinness seems to help the cats think it's a more authentic approximation of a bird as they concentrate on the end bit instead of getting wrapped up in the string. It's also much longer than most, which means you can stay still, but give the cat a real workout as it chases the toy around and over the furniture.

The 'business end' is where this toy really comes into its own. I've never had a toy of this type (a cheap one, anyway) with real feathers attached to it, but this one has two large/long pheasant-type feathers as the main feathers on this toy. The other feathers are artificial, as is normally the case, but the real feathers make all the difference - you can almost make the toy 'walk' on the ends of the feathers, which makes it seem more real to the cat, and they seem to appreciate/recognise the fact that it bears at least some resemblance to the feathers they encounter attached to the real thing! The 'give' on the string means you can replicate the real action of a bird trying to make a getaway from the cat's paws, which adds to the fun (for the cat, anyway!) and when you swing the toy around the configuration of the features means that it really does look like a bird in flight. It's attached to the string by means of a short link of bracelet-type links, which means it's strongly attached, and so far (and they've used it a lot in the three weeks since we've owned it!) it's only lost one artificial feather. If you saw how much fun, and how hard, all four of our cats play with this toy you'd know how impressive that is!

You can get replacement ends for the toy - to be honest, and this might sound mad (we've adopted four cats in four years - yep, we're pretty [cat] mad!) initially, having seen how 'actively' our cats played with the toy, we thought we'd be looking at replacing the end very soon indeed, even as frequently as the end of the first month. To us, having found a toy that works so well, it would be better to spend £7.50 (the cost of a replacement feather end) than spend a bit less money on a toy they won't play with as much in such a brilliant cat way. And, believe me, once you've owned a 'Da Bird', you'll see why other wand toys are but a pale imitation! But, so far, three weeks in, the end is showing no signs of needing to be replaced, so our initial estimates of the end of the first month were a bit off! However, it's inevitable that we will have to replace it eventually, and will be happy to do so withing whatever that time scale ends up being!

Apologies for the long review, but this toy is expensive relative to others of a similar kind you can buy in your local pet shop, so if you're going to buy one you want to know it's going to be worth the money. We were lucky, we'd seen the toy in use on 'My Cat From Hell' many times, and had read on Jackson Galaxy's website how to use a toy like this properly, so we already knew we were making a considered purchase on behalf of our cats. But not everyone has those advantages, so I hope this has helped make up your mind if you were unsure.

Your cats will love it, that much is guaranteed!

COPPER SLUG TAPE 48MM X 4M IMPORTED EXCLUSIVELY FOR PAYLESS TRADING® SPECIAL 4 PACK PRICE
Offered by Bargain Warehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a shot for pesticide-free snail and slug repellents., 25 Aug 2014
My second purchase of this tape this year, the first having made some difference to snails and slugs as far as I can tell. Obviously without watching them at night it's hard to see at first-hand how/if the tape works, but judging by a clear reduction in the number of the pesky creatures found actually in the buckets and tubs which now have the tape around them it does seem to be some kind of deterrent!

Easy to apply, looks smart against any tub - I used cheap plastic buckets a lot of the time, and this makes them look quite fancy!

Advantages: Once on a tub or container it will stay on securely - it sticks really well.
Won't need replacing on tubs and containers next year as it remains effective.
Disadvantages: If, like me, you can only plant in tubs, containers and grow bags (and if, like me, you have close to 30 of them!)
you'll need a lot of tape!
Whilst tubs and containers can be taped and used again and again, grow bags need replacing each year, and
so new bags will need more tape next year.

Recommend buying this extra-wide version over the narrower kind. Why? Because, as I read on a review from someone who'd bought the narrow stuff, and then changed to this wider kind, a slug is capable of making a 'bridge' with it's body, and can literally 'step over' the entire width of the narrow width! This tape is nearly 5cm wide (almost twice a wide as the narrow tape), so unless you have giant, mutant slugs in your garden, they can't make a bridge big enough to get over this! In fact, I haven't found any slugs at all since I bought the tape, just a few snails.

The big test for the tape will really be next year from the start of the gardening season - this year we were well into it by the time I found out about this tape, and I think the worst of the pest season was over as well. But, for now, I do think the tape has made a difference, especially with things grown in grow bags - all my courgette seedlings were decimated before I put tape on the bags, and not a single one has been since. I'll take that as a justifiable reason for buying this tape for now!

Orthodox
Orthodox

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for daughter - she gives it 5 stars!, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Orthodox (Audio CD)
Bought for my daughter who asked me to buy it - but she give is 5 stars!

Pass Grade 5 Theory: All You Need in One Volume Your Key to Success
Pass Grade 5 Theory: All You Need in One Volume Your Key to Success
by Dorothy Dingle
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended by music teacher, no hesitation in giving 5 stars., 25 Aug 2014
Recommended to my daughter by her instrumental teacher as she prepares for her Grade 5s in both flute and theory. It starts at the start and goes through all they need to know to pass their Grade 5 theory - and only that. It's a big book in some ways, but streamlined towards the essential information. My daughter loves working her way through it - as do I (and it's a long time since I did my Grade 5!).

Highly recommended!

Girls Talk
Girls Talk

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Girls Talk (MP3 Download)
A good bit of rock and roll, pure and simple. A Dave Edmunds track (especially when he produces) has a 'feel', and this track has it. He also produced one of my other favourite songs, 'On the Wings of a Nightingale' by the Everley Brothers (written by Sir Paul McCartney) and you can hear shades of each in both songs in terms of production even thought they're years apart. Girls Talk - a good song, pleased to have it on my MP3 player now!

To Be Or Not To Be
To Be Or Not To Be

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: To Be Or Not To Be (MP3 Download)
B.A. Robertson has had more success as a writer and producer for others than he had as a solo artist himself, but the few songs he did release were quirky, and I like quirky. He also recorded some of his material at the recording studios in Chipping Norton in Oxfordshire, which is my home town. I remember I was about 12 one day, minding my own business, going into Boots the chemist which - in those days - had heavy wooden/glazed swing doors to get in/out, and who should hold the door open for me but a certain Mr B.A. Robertson, who was in town to record! It's funny how little things like that stay with you, but I'd never thought about his music much again until recently when this song cropped up on a late-night music nostalgia TV show. The words are typically as quirky as the rest of it, and now I'm an English teacher myself I find myself marvelling at how clever some of B.A.'s lyrics were.

Not to everyone's taste, I know, but I like this song!

She's Not There
She's Not There

4.0 out of 5 stars Passing on the nostalgia bug!, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: She's Not There (MP3 Download)
Bought for my own teenage daughters who like 'music from when Mum was young' too!

Way Down
Way Down

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood nostalgia, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Way Down (MP3 Download)
One of the only Elvis songs I like, and sadly the first song of his I became aware of just before he died - I was 10, and I can still remember where I was and what I was doing when it came on the radio; strange as my parents weren't fans of his (although I was brought up to appreciate everything from Buddy Holly, The Beatles, the 50s and 60s as a whole, and even by the age of 10 loved those eras). But I knew who he was, if that makes any sense, so it's one of those deaths that you never forget even if you don't really like the music.

'Way Down' has got that musical 'hook' (to me, anyway) which a song needs to pull me in - that thumping bass line in this case. I thought it was about time I had it added to my MP3 collections!

Only the Good Die Young
Only the Good Die Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 25 Aug 2014
Bought as part of a nostalgia stack of tracks to remind me of my younger days! But also my own teenage daughters love his songs too, and this one particular. The words do really speak to this lapsed Catholic girl who faced the same dilemmas as 'Virginia' back in the day!!!!

I Don't Like Monday's
I Don't Like Monday's

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 25 Aug 2014
Bought as part of a nostalgia stack of tracks to remind me of my younger days! I was 11 when this was a hit - and it's one of those songs that just kind of 'gets you' with the way it's put together - having said that, it's not my favourite BR track; that honour belongs to 'Rat Trap'.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17