Profile for Jersey Customer > Reviews

Content by Jersey Customer

Jersey Customer (Jersey, Channel Islands)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
19CM CAST ALUMINIUM YELLOW LEMON PRESS BARTENDERS TOOL
19CM CAST ALUMINIUM YELLOW LEMON PRESS BARTENDERS TOOL
Offered by UK HOT BARGAINS
Price: 6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes light work of juicing!, 27 Jun 2014
Having been an ardent 'reamer' for years when it came to juicing lemons and limes for cooking and recipes, I was getting fed up with having to fish out the pips! This device makes light work of juicing with a quick squeeze, and all the pips are left behind. I know there's a separate lime juicer, but I've used this one for lemons for both fruits with equal success, so two separate ones isn't really necessary for those two fruits (you'd definitely need the bigger orange one if you wanted to juice oranges, though).

A Matter of Trust: The Bridge to Russia: Deluxe Edition (2CD/DVD)
A Matter of Trust: The Bridge to Russia: Deluxe Edition (2CD/DVD)
Price: 17.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterclass in how to give a concert!, 25 Jun 2014
I remember watching the concert when it was originally broadcast - I recorded it and took the soundtrack off onto an audio cassette tape (remember them?!) and I know this concert inside out and back to front because of that over the last 27 years! Then the concert was repeated on BBC4 recently, alongside the documentary 'The Road to Lenningrad' which tells the behind-the-scenes story of how the concert came about and the impact it had on the USSR at that time - and, it has to be said in no small part as well, the impact it had on Billy himself. He, Christie Brinkley and several of the band members from that 1987 concert came together about 2 years ago to give interviews with their memories of that tour - it's quite an emotional rollercoaster to watch.

On this set you get the DVD (which has the concert and the documentary on it) and two CDs of songs from the concert, plus extras which you only get on this set. There is also an additional free download MP3 version of the songs so you can stick them straight onto the music player of your choice. You also get a sizeable booklet with more memories, photos, and all the words to all the songs. I'd say it's a pretty good package for the money!

Billy Joel is the consummate showman - his stage-craft is second to none. The way in which he draws in a Russian audience who had no idea how to behave at a rock concert is amazing - but he had to fight to achieve it, throwing the famous piano-tipping 'tantrum' in order to get them to turn the house lights down because turning them up just made the audience freeze. There was also the issue of too many tickets being given away to politicians and senior government figures, who sat in the front rows in stony silence... until Billy cranked it up so much they left and gave their seats to the real fans who then moved to the front. And they really get into the spirit!

They say everyone has at least one Billy Joel song that is part of their lives - I don't know if that's true, but this concert caught that moment in time when Billy was at his musical peak of the late 70s to mid 80s in terms of the songs he wrote at those times. If you like Billy Joel then you need this set in your collection!

Fitflop Womens Astrid 1 Flip flops 294-001 Black 7 UK, 41 EU, 9 US
Fitflop Womens Astrid 1 Flip flops 294-001 Black 7 UK, 41 EU, 9 US
Offered by Cloggs
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't wear any other shoe of this type now, 25 Jun 2014
I have a few long-standing foot issues all stemming from two inherited issues with fallen arches an bunions (my big and second toes on both feet were both 'hammered over' by the time I was 10 years old). The operations I've had to correct and maintain the various foot (and also knee) problems I've had over the years have left me unable to wear 'normal' shoes comfortably, and I've never been able to walk in any shoe with a heel higher than an inch (although that's not a problem as I'm 5' 10"! and don't need heels!) but equally find flat shoes cause as much pain in different ways. FitFlops have been an absolute Godsend!

I bought my first pair five years ago - and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've worn that one pair on every single non-rainy day between April and October for all of those five years... and they're still perfectly good and almost look as smart as the day I bought them! They are definitely worth the money, even though the initial price does look a bit steep - but when you look at how much wear you can get out of just one pair (as I have!) then they're actually cheap!

But, much as I love that first pair, they are silver and I needed a pair in black to wear at work. Compared to five years ago, the choice is now tremendous, but this pair are perfect - not 'blingy', but still with a bit of sparkle. I'm going to buy a white pair (different style) soon too, and then I don't think I'll need to buy another pair of summer shoes for years and years!

The one thing I would recommend is trying on a pair in a shop (if you have a stockist nearby) to check your sizing - they come in all whole and half sizes, so it's worth making sure you're getting the exact one you need. Then you can order online knowing that they'll fit (there is no variation in the sizing between designs in my experience - a 7 is a 7 is a 7 no matter what the design!).

My teenage children, who have both inherited bits of my family's awkward feet issues (though, thank goodness, not the bunions) both wear my FitFlops (we're all the same size in shoe, more or less) and I'm looking to buy pairs for them too... although they do complain they don't look as if they're made for young people (which I suppose they're not, really!) and they'd still wear 'fashion' shoes on occasion.

All-in-all I would recommend a pair of FitFlops to anyone who wants a summer shoes that will give their instep some support. I don't know about the claims that they help 'shape' you as you walk, but I have to say that you do 'feel something' in your legs if you walk in them at speed, so maybe they do work the muscles differently to a normal shoe? Who knows for sure. I'm recommending them for the comfort aspect which I know for certain is better for my feet that a normal shoe!

Kitchen Craft Avocado Saver and Holder
Kitchen Craft Avocado Saver and Holder
Price: 3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonkers, but it works! (But has been nicknamed the 'Avocado Birkenstock' in our house!), 16 Jun 2014
Avocados are notoriously difficult to keep from unwanted oxydisation - I've tried everything from keeping the stone in the unused half, to wrapping it (with and without stone in) in cling film, and rubbing with lime/lemon juice (with and without stone, and with and without wrapping in cling film!)

I love odd little kitchen gadgets, so when I saw this I was curious. Several reviews were favourable, so I though I'd try it - with some pessimism, I have to admit! I decided that I would store my unused half without any other preventative measures (e.g. I could have also rubbed with a little lime/lemon juice, but wanted to see how well it did on its own) and I was prepared to accept 'some' discolouration because it's virtually impossible to keep a cut surface on an avocado completely green.

To make the test harder, I left my half an avocado in the holder for two days, instead of the one I've usually done with all the other methods I've tried - after just one day, usually, they don't look very appetising, so I thought two day would really show up its strengths and weaknesses, whatever they turned out to be!

Well, two days' later, I unstrapped my 'avocado Birkenstock' and cautiously lifted the half from the holder... and barely any discolouration at all! Literally a bit of brown definition on the 'veining' effect you get on the cut side of this fruit (which I removed by slicing the merest hint of a sliver from that cut side) but essentially the flesh was still green, firm, not at all 'mushy', looked appetising, and tasted fine when I ate it.

I'm a convert, I have to say! I had a small avocado as my 'test', so it was strapped down on the tightest hole, but this holder looks like it would easily take one half of the 'extra large' avocados they sell in my local Waitrose if I needed it to do so.

Maybe my 'acceptable discolouration' is another person's 'unacceptable', but honestly, give it a go and see for yourself. I was sceptical, but became happily surprised. I may well rub a little lime/lemon juice on the next time too - that, plus the essential de-oxygenated storage you get with the flesh strapped down so firmly no air can get in, may result in even the hint of 'veining' not being as obvious. If so, I will report back!

One more tip - hand wash only. It washes very well, but I wouldn't put the strap into a dishwasher in case it perished. A simple wash in warm, soapy water, then a good rinse before being drying, is the way to go.

August CR100 FM Transmitter with 3.5mm In / USB Port / Card Reader - In Car MP3 Player for Smartphones and Tablets - Apple / Android / Blackberry Compatible
Offered by Daffodil UK
Price: 7.25

4.0 out of 5 stars A replacement for an identical former purchase which got damaged., 16 Jun 2014
I'd had this exact product working happily in my car for over three years, but it was damaged accidentally one day, so had to be replaced. These are useful if you are like me with an older car that doesn't have any other means of getting music from an MP3 player to the car's speaker system - newer models come with built-in USB sockets which you can plug into directly, but mine's 14 years old and needs a bit of help! This little gadget, for the money, is great. It does stick out a bit from the lighter socket, and where that is positioned in my car is partly how it got damaged (I once had to slide over between driver's seat and passenger's seat and knocked the transmitted with my knee, which damaged it) and the insulation around connector cable that comes with it does tend to get a bit worn right up where the ends fit into the transmitter and/or MP3 player, but as long as you aren't regularly climbing over your own front seats (!) or plugging in/unplugging the unit regularly (mine just stays plugged into my car) these aren't huge issues. I'd certainly recommend this item as a means of getting your own choice of music into your car.

Toshiba SD1015KB DVD Player (New for 2013)
Toshiba SD1015KB DVD Player (New for 2013)
Price: 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, but does the job it needs to., 12 Jun 2014
A good little DVD player - perfect for that 'second' machine in a bedroom, for example (which is where I've put this one). It's basic, but then again, how complicated does a DVD player need to be, unless you're some sort of tech-gadget addict (in which case you'll not even be looking at such a basic machine!) so it does exactly what it needs to.

It's been working every day (literally, every day) since I bought it, which is several months now. No problems, very happy.

1.5M Plated Scart to Scart Cable 21 Pin Lead Wire
1.5M Plated Scart to Scart Cable 21 Pin Lead Wire
Offered by Everyday Electrics
Price: 1.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect - and cheap!, 12 Jun 2014
This scart cable cost pennies, and even with the postage on the top came to less than 3! That's about 10 less than the price of a scart cable in my local shops, so I'd say that's a winner! If you can find the same for less than amazon then fine, but if you're like me, and are stymied by local shops because you can't 'shop around' (in my case because of living on a small island!) then this is the kind of bargain you won't want to pass up (if you need a scart cable, of course!).

Food Mixer Dust Cover Blue - Suitable For All Kenwood Chef & Andrew James Food Mixers
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD
Price: 14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it needs to, 12 Jun 2014
It's obviously designed to a 'one size fits many different stand mixers' cover, but it's better to have a loose cover than no cover at all! It covers my Andrew James 5.2L stand mixer with room to spare, which is what is needed if you keep your mixer on the counter-top or on a shelf where it can collect dust and dirt.

I'm sure there are better-fitting covers out there for other makes too, but for the money it isn't a bad choice for my cheapo-option-while-I'm-saving-up-for-a-'considered-purchase'-brand stand mixer!

Genuine Samsung EB454357VU battery for Galaxy Y
Genuine Samsung EB454357VU battery for Galaxy Y
Offered by SIDZ
Price: 6.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Gave old phones a new lease of life, 12 Jun 2014
My daughters aren't 'greedy' when it comes to smart phones - they are happy to keep their 3 year old Galaxy 'Y' phones, but the original batteries had bitten the dust. Now, with two of these new batteries, they each have a phone that has an extended life, at least for now. The phones are giving up the ghost (I don't think they intend people to use them much beyond a year these days - at 3 years we're doing well!) so they'll have to get new ones soon, but these replacement batteries were worth the money for the use we got out of them. If your phone takes this battery, and is still more or less 'ok' apart from the battery, give this replacement one a whirl.

Brave New World
Brave New World
by Aldous Huxley
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars A new copy of an old favourite from my younger 'Eng Lit' days - now for my daughter, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Brave New World (Paperback)
I remember reading this book when I was about 15 back in the early 80s. At the time, everyone was '1984'-mad (and I did, indeed study that book too for my English Lit A Level in - you guessed it - 1984!) but in my 'reading around' the era I found this book. Now my own daughters are studying English Lit at GCSE and A Level, and they'd heard of 'Brave New World' but never read it. Hence a purchase of this particular edition.

Only four stars because I'm only one of three potential family reviewers of this book, and only two of us have, as yet, read it (again, in my case!) so I'm holding fire for now at four stars!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16