Profile for Mr. J. Earl > Reviews

West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 9 Jun 2009
Kasabian are undoubtably one of this country's greatest live bands (although not 'the' best as one reviewer suggests, that title goes to Muse in my opinion), however as yet they have not quite managed to carry the raw power and energy of the live gigs across into their live recordings. With their third album I was really hoping that this would change. So has it?... well yes and no... There's no doubt that this album is more experimental, which is always a good thing and that familiar Kasabian sound is present in some of the songs. However as with the two previous albums, the stand out tracks such as 'Underdog', 'Fire' and 'Vlad the impaler' (all of which will sound amazing live) are interspersed with much weaker offerings that I find myself skipping. For example 'Swarfiga' is a completely pointless waste of two minutes whilst 'West Ryder silver bullet' is just plain weird. Thats not to say that this is a terrible album because it is not. The good tracks are worth the money alone. I just personally don't think it is as good as it could be. Looking forward to Glastonbury when the new tracks are played live!

Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD]
Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frankie Boyle
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't make my mind up, 18 Nov 2008
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I've watched almost every episode of Mock the Week and think that Frankie Boyle is the true star of the programme. Whilst I respect he's not to everyone's taste his 'close to the knuckle' style of humour always makes me wet myself, although I do sometimes find myself cringing in disbelief at some of the stuff he comes out with.

When I heard he was coming to my home town of Taunton I immediately snapped up tickets to see him. It's not often an act of his stature comes to visit. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the show and was in stitches throughout, as were the rest of the audience from what I could see. Yes, some of the jokes I had heard before on Mock the Week but this only accounted for around 10% of the show. The rest was fresh to my ears and some of it was obviously brand new material as he was talking about events that had only happened that week. Personally I thought that on the night his interaction with the audience was fantastic and appeared to be 'off the cuff', even if the "what do you do?" line did wear a bit thin come the end. However, be warned... If you don't like the use of the word 'c**t' do not go to see Frankie as it's used very frequently.

So good was Frankie's performance that I had to go out and buy the DVD. To be honest it was a bit of a waste of money cos the routine was exactly the same as the show, minus the recent topical stuff. Even the cruel remarks to the audience were the same. So much for being off the cuff! It soon became clear why he kept asking the audience what they did for work. Any other questions would have required Frankie to make something up on the spot instead of the well rehearsed replies he used at both the live show I went to and the DVD. To be fair to him though I was kind of expecting this to be the case. It was exactly the same when I watched Alan Carr's DVD after seeing him live. I guess most comedians have a well rehearsed routine that they adapt slightly as the tour progresses. Some clearly adapt more than others. However, I have to say that despite all of this I did find myself watching the whole DVD from start to finish and laughing at all the same jokes and put downs as I had the night before. There's just no denying that this guy is extremely funny. Whether Frankie will be remembered in time to come for his stand up routines or his television work on shows such as Mock the Week remains to be seen. I for one shall be watching with interest.

In summary this DVD is a must buy if you haven't seen one of Frankie's live shows. However if you have seen him live, unless you want a memento of your night I would save your pennies and buy something else.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2013 2:45 PM BST