Profile for Mr. J. Wilkins > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Wilkins

Mr. J. Wilkins (UK)

PowerBee ® Compact Solar Phone Charger for All Iphones / Ipods (excluding iphone 5), Nokia, Samsung, Micro usb (many phones including HTC/Blackberry/Smartphones), Mini usb

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price, as long as you don't expect it to perform miracles, 23 Jun. 2010
I ordered this product after searching for a portable solar charger for some time. I'll admit that I bought this one based solely on the low price compared with other similar products and it arrived extremely quickly.

Opening the box I was surprised by how light the charger is and was impressed with the large number of plug adapters it comes with. In addition the case for it seems decent quality and should certainly help to keep it protected. The device also comes with 4 removable suction cups that attach to the back and I presume are designed for dashboard charging, although not owning a car, I haven't really found a use for then yet.

In terms of performance, the internal battery seems to hold a very reasonable charge and is certainly useful topping up gadgets out and about. I found it fully capable of charging my iPhone from 25% to 100%, although I have no idea how much charge it had left over after doing this.

The solar panel works as well as can be expected here in the UK, even on a bright summer day, it will take more than a full day sat in the sun to completely charge it. Placing the charger indoors, behind glass will increase this time further. Reading online reviews, this seems to be in line with similar (more expensive) products and so I think people just need to remember that a device this small can't perform miracles in climates such as the UK.

In terms of improvements, I wish the device had a better battery indicator instead of just a light for 'charging', and a light for 'fully charged'. Other portable battery chargers that I own incorporate 4 lights, that show the approximate amount of charge remaining.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase, especially considering the price. I haven't yet used it while camping or traveling abroad (the scenarios I had in mind when purchasing), but for greener, around the house charging and as a backup emergency battery for my phone, it has more than met my expectations.