Profile for Alison Petrie > Reviews

Content by Alison Petrie

Alison Petrie
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Labor Day [DVD]
Labor Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kate Winslet

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Labor Day [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film last week and it still lingers in the memory. Some people might consider it slow moving but it is beautifully acted and very moving.

All of the principal actors excel but the stand out performance for me was Josh Brolin playing Frank. Who would have thought that he would be so tender in the role and this film really puts him forward as an excellent actor. As the movie unfolds you see that Frank is basically a decent man who made some bad choices and has paid for them time and time again. I am not excusing his crime but, when you see the build up to what put him in prison, your heart breaks.

The best film that I have seen for a long time.

If You Were Me
If You Were Me
by Sheila O'Flanagan

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure escapism!, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: If You Were Me (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sometimes you have a demanding day at work, travel on an overcrowded Tube and you simply want to escape. "If You Were Me" is the sort of book you need for such days.

I couldn't put it down but Ms Flanagan got me from the start by setting the beginning in Seville, one of my favourite cities. A few twists and turns along the way but you could always see a happy ending unfold. Great characters (I particularly liked the comments from Carlotta's mother, very funny), fast paced and very entertaining - chick lit at its best!

The Last Letter from Your Lover
The Last Letter from Your Lover
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Cancel everything in your diary because you won't be able to put this down!, 30 July 2014
The first book I read by Ms Moyes was "Me Before You" which actually made me cry whilst sitting on a London bus on the way to Liverpool Street and, since then, I have always kept an eye out for her work.

"The Last Letter from Your Lover" also reduced me to tears (I know, no hope for me). Ms Moyes runs two stories in tandem and the earlier one put me in mind of the film "Brief Encounter", desperately, desperately sad. I think the best way to describe it is that the book plucked at my heart strings, you care about the characters and you cannot, absolutely not, put the book down. Really highlights how you can be with someone and yet be terribly alone. There is also a huge twist towards the end of the book that I didn't see coming, great stuff!

A Well-Tempered Heart
A Well-Tempered Heart
by Jan-Philipp Sendker

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking!, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Well-Tempered Heart (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Julia Win is a successful lawyer but she feels that her life is in disarray. She has split up with her partner, suffered a miscarriage and is not happy with her professional life. Ten years earlier Julia visited Burma to try to find her father and “A Well-Tempered Heart” takes her back there, out of her life in New York. The trip is brought about by the fact that one day, in the middle of a business meeting, Julia hears a female voice that prompts her to leave the office without explanation and, as the days follow on, the voice does not face but asks her questions about the meaning of Julia’s life. She goes to the other side of the world fearing for her sanity but hoping to visit her half-brother and also to calm a life that is increasingly frantic.

Whilst in the Far East, Julia learns about Nu Nu, a lady whose sons were boy soldiers in Burma, and also about forgiveness, love and listening to your inner voice, even if you don’t understand what it is saying to you. I realise that this may sound somewhat strange to people in the western world but Burma is a place where omens and signs are often believed and the book is about second chances and achieving balance. In a world where we often question the lives we lead, “A Well-Tempered Heart” is a thoughtful and thought provoking read.

The Wrong Knickers - A Decade of Chaos
The Wrong Knickers - A Decade of Chaos
by Bryony Gordon

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 16 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book made me laugh out loud.

Bryony Gordon is so utterly honest that you can't quite believe she would own up to some of the things she's done / situations she has ended up in because you think "Sweetheart, you are worth SO much more than that". But you read and you smile and you laugh and your younger self definitely identifies with a lot of what she went through.

Rush [DVD]
Rush [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Hemsworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing!, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Rush [DVD] (DVD)
Am I a Formula 1 fan, no? So, now we've got that out of the way, why have I given this film five stars?

Ron Howard, for a start - he manages to balance action, humour, sympathy and strength in equal measure as director and he is also blessed with a cast in which there are no weak links. Chris Hemsworth is mainly known for the "Thor" movies but "Rush" shows that he can also act very well and he perfectly captured the "devil may care" nature of Hunt.

Daniel Bruhl, for me, is the stand out as Lauda. He held me captive because he conveyed the sense and strength of the man - how he knew people made fun of him, that they thought he was far too serious but he didn't let any of this stand in his way, he would only do things his way. "Rush" examines the relationship between the two men and how their constant niggling spurred them both on to achieve great things.

This film to me is a hidden treasure because I wasn't overly fussed about watching it but it held me from start to finish and, two days later, I find myself re-running it in my mind. Absolutely gripping.

Funny Peculiar: The Autobiography
Funny Peculiar: The Autobiography
by Will Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Kind, compassionate and strong, 19 May 2014
I literally read this in one sitting, sitting on a plane coming back from Iceland.

Will Young writes with candour, strength and an “Omigod, I can’t quite believe I did that” mind set – typed that bit smiling when I remembered his encounter with David Beckham. On the other hand, I felt very sad, and also angry, on his behalf when I read about how he was dropped from “The Voice”.

He writes with compassion, warmth and a lot of humour. I admire him for standing up to Simon Cowell, for admitting that he suffers from depression and for just being totally honest and not being afraid to stand up and be counted.

Should the music and theatre ever come to an end, I feel that he could find another career in writing. And, as he shares with us how difficult it is to perform when suffering from depression, I feel I should point out that a friend of mine in her 60s attended one of his concerts by default as her daughter’s friend had flu. My friend wasn’t particularly looking forward to going but said it was one of the best concerts ever. So, there you go, a talented man on all levels!

Streets Of Fire [DVD]
Streets Of Fire [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Paré

5.0 out of 5 stars Great escapism - buy your popcorn here!, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Streets Of Fire [DVD] (DVD)
Once a year I think "Yes, it's time" and watch "Streets of Fire", never get tired of it.

Fast moving, absolutely brilliant music (courtesy of Jim Steinman and Ry Cooder) and a cast who play it tongue in cheek, think of a 1950s biker movie speeded up with very loud music. It just works, simple as that, and if I could be in the film, I'd go for the Amy Madigan role of "McCoy", the tough female sidekick. Apparently the film was a box office flop when it appeared in the 80s (but I did see it at the cinema then - those were the days when you could afford to go!) but I wonder now if it's become a bit of a cult classic, hope so as it definitely merits attention - Barry Norman liked it a lot too!

The film never lets up - you get an avalanche of action, silliness and music - and it is worth seeing just to see a young Willem Dafoe in an outfit that simply boggles the mind or, at the very least, you think "Ooh, I bet they were uncomfortable to wear"!!! And I love the music - oh yes, "I can dream about you"!!!

Pretty In Pink [1986] [DVD]
Pretty In Pink [1986] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Molly Ringwald

5.0 out of 5 stars How many times have I watched this?, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Pretty In Pink [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
How many times have I watched this, have lost count now! But it still kicks in on an emotional level and never fails to hold my interest even if I do know the script and storyline backwards!

And how were we all ever that young - it's like getting in the Tardis and going way, way back in time. Every actor steps up to the mark, not a weak link anywhere, but my personal favourites are Jon Cryer as Duckie, Andie's best friend, and Harry Dean Stanton as Andie's father.

It's about being an outsider, it's about being true to yourself, the importance of love, friendship and family. I just love the movie, it gets me every time!

Pots of Dreams 60th Birthday
Pots of Dreams 60th Birthday
Offered by Jons Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased!, 7 May 2014
This stands in my living room as a reminder to save for a planned trip.

Very pleased with it, it's very decorative, but have a feeling that I may be even more pleased after I break it open - which isn't going to be for a while. Seriously, a money box that you can't just open has to be a winner in my book!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18