Profile for Alison Petrie > Reviews

Content by Alison Petrie

Alison Petrie
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17
Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and the Marriage of the Century
Furious Love: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and the Marriage of the Century
by Sam Kashner

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't live together, couldn't live apart!, 19 Nov 2010
Long before the days of paparazzi and the obsession with celebrity, we had Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. They were never out of the papers in the 1960s and, in living their private lives in the media spotlight, there was no room for emotional manoeuvre. That they loved each other deeply, there is no doubt, but I felt on reading the book that they had bought into the public persona which turned out to be their undoing. Melvyn Bragg once interview Richard Burton and asked him why he had made so many bad films and he responded that he needed to have a reason to get up in the morning - very sad. Having read this book, I am surprised he didn't say that he took all the roles offered to him in order to buy jewellery for his wife.

Factually the book falls down and the research should have been more thorough. Also, a book that includes the line "Reader, she married him", when mentioning Elizabeth Taylor's marriage to Larry Fortensky, is definitely one not to be taken seriously!

Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 19 Nov 2010
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I bought this CD a month ago and haven't stopped playing it since. What has struck me is the strength of their songs - there I am in the car, singing away (very badly) to the familiar tracks and then another track comes out and I think "Oh, I'd forgotten about that one". I don't think Slade have ever got the credit they deserve and, in Noddy Holder, they had that wonderful powerhouse voice.

If like me, you were a teenager in the 70s, buy this and go back in time whilst, at the same point in time, listen to excellent music that in my mind stands the test of time. It's not moody or introspective, it's fun with great melodies. I'd love to see a reunion of the original four but I read somewhere (very much to my surprise) that Noddy had developed stage fright. A great pity but a huge thanks to Slade for being part of my youth and writing songs that lift the spirit.

Red Wolf
Red Wolf
by Liza Marklund
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Crime in a cold climate!, 31 Aug 2010
This review is from: Red Wolf (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unfortunately I discovered, whilst in the process of reading the book, that it is part of a series and therefore I feel that I missed out on some useful information such as what had happened in the main character's past.

I struggled at first to get into the book but the main character, Annika, holds one's interest and I want to read the other books in the series.

Scandalous
Scandalous
by Tilly Bagshawe

5.0 out of 5 stars A good holiday read, 31 Aug 2010
This review is from: Scandalous (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Scandalous" isn't rocket science, it doesn't tax the brain but what it does do is give the reader a good read. For that, think holiday reads or on the plane. Tilly Bagshawe writes in a way that pulls the reader in and doesn't let go until the end. A very enjoyable way of passing the time even if I could see the ending pretty much from a third into the book!

Greenfingers [DVD] [2001]
Greenfingers [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 6.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting!, 20 Aug 2010
This review is from: Greenfingers [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
First caught this film on a flight, not an ideal way to my mind to watch a film, and fell asleep halfway through due to jet lag. However, what I had seen had captured my imagination and watched it when it was shown on TV. Since then I have seen it about four times and it never fails to lift the spirits.

Everyone in it is a joy, very well cast, but for me it is David Kelly who steals the show portraying great pathos when playing a man who knows that he only has himself to blame. You don't have to love (or even like) gardening to enjoy "Greenfingers", just sit back and enjoy a treasure of a film.

Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest bands ever!, 19 Aug 2010
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I was fortunate enough to see Thin Lizzy four times between 1976 and 1981 and they were just amazing in concert, best live act I've seen and I've seen a lot.

This 2 CD set is the best collection I've seen of their songs and I still play it constantly. I never ever get tired of the Lizzy and feel that they never received the recognition they so clearly merited. If you're unfamiliar with Thin Lizzy but just want some power driven, melodic rock, buy this and you'll appreciate the genius of the band. Their best known track is "The Boys are Back in Town" but there is far more to them than that. At last a collection that does justice to the wonder of Lizzy and, if you're not familiar with the band but love hard rock, this is for you.

Live And Dangerous
Live And Dangerous
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, Happy Days!, 19 Aug 2010
This review is from: Live And Dangerous (Audio CD)
Am going to start off by saying I am totally biased in favour of Thin Lizzy, best live group I ever saw, and I swear to this day that you can hear me in the background (I would say that, wouldn't I) given that I fortunate to be at one of the concerts recorded for this album.

Thin Lizzy live were phenomenal, had to be seen to be believed, with Phil Lynott moving across the stage like a giant spider - had to have the longest legs I've ever seen on anyone. "Live and Dangerous" just captures the sheer lust for life, the fabulous music and the glory that was Thin Lizzy. Was playing this the other day in the car and "Baby Drives Me Crazy" just always hits the spot. I was there, I was lucky, tickets in 1976 / 1977 didn't involve getting another mortgage in order to buy them and the Lizzy delivered, simple as that. Fans of rock music, this is a classic album - a glorious reminder of Mr Lynott, missed to this day.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2011 8:34 PM GMT

Deadlock
Deadlock
by Sean Black
Price: 10.72

4.0 out of 5 stars "24" come to life!, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Deadlock (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyone who's a fan of the series "24" will go for "Dead Lock" - as I was reading it, I could envisage it on the screen and was mentally casting it!

"Dead Lock" is for people who like action, punchy writing and well thought out characters. No, it's not a classic but very readable and kept my attention (trust me, that doesn't always happen).

Angel of Death
Angel of Death
by J. Robert King

2.0 out of 5 stars Very unsettling, 5 July 2010
This review is from: Angel of Death (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Angel Of Death" is not a typical thriller as, in addition to the usual elements found in thrillers, it also has a large chunk of fantasy.

I persevered with the book to the end but I just didn't get it, to me it was a very good idea that didn't come off. However, J Robert King is to be admired for not taking the easy road in stepping away from the usual thriller genre.

Robert Downey Jr: The Fall and Rise of the Comeback Kid
Robert Downey Jr: The Fall and Rise of the Comeback Kid
by Ben Falk
Price: 16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Thank heavens he made a comeback!, 2 July 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First things first, I am a big Robert Downey fan, even when he's in bad films, he's always good and, as this is the first biography on him that I've ever come across, I pounced on it as soon as I read the email from Vine.

Apparently Robert Downey plans to do an autobiography one day and I very much look forward to that. Ben Falk does a workmanlike job with his book but it's fleshed out a lot with trivial detail, much of which is available on the Net and has been reported in the press. The book didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know.

However, the book draws attention to a great talent that has had an enormous resurgence with the "Iron Man" films and "Sherlock Holmes". Reading about the chemical abuse that Mr Downey has indulged in over the years, we should be grateful that he was finally able to slay his dragons and start sharing his talent with the world again. I await his autobiography with great interest.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17