Profile for Alison Petrie > Reviews

Content by Alison Petrie

Alison Petrie
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
New Beginnings
New Beginnings
by Fern Britton
Price: 4.47

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 6 Sep 2011
This review is from: New Beginnings (Paperback)
I persevered with "New Beginnings" but have to say that it was a struggle from the get go. A very flabby, predictable plot with somewhat hackneyed dialogue. Like other reviewers, I really wanted to like the book but was left with the feeling that, had Ms Britton not had such a public profile, "New Beginnings" would not have been published.

To My Best Friends
To My Best Friends
by Sam Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent chick lit!, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: To My Best Friends (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sam Baker makes an impressive debut with her first novel.

"To My Best Friends" celebrates female friendship. It is a gentle book that tugs at the heart but, at the same point in time, it isn't sugar coated. Ms Baker has assembled a cast of characters, including the deceased Nicci, and brings them to life and makes you care. The phrase that comes to mind when summing up the book is "Intelligent chick lit" and I look forward to Ms Baker's second book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2012 2:47 PM GMT

Words & Music: John Mellencamp's Greatest Hits
Words & Music: John Mellencamp's Greatest Hits
Price: 10.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Man with a Big Heart!, 19 Aug 2011
I saw John Mellencamp when he was over in the UK in 1988 and it was one of the best concerts ever. He then came over in the early 90s and didn't visit the UK again until July this year. My partner (who was unfamiliar with Mr Mellencamp)and I were fortunate enough to see him then and we were both blown away. I had several of his CDs already but decided to add this one to my collection and I haven't stopped playing it.

John Mellencamp stands up for what he believes in, for the "little people", and his lyrics reflect this. For the life of me, I can't understand why he isn't "bigger" than he is but he had a standing ovation at the Hammersmith Apollo in July and we all went home happy. He sings about love, about the economic crisis, about the constant struggles of modern life, and he endures, simple as that. You listen to his songs and find yourself singing along whilst, at the same time, thinking "Yes, I know exactly what you mean". He sings from the heart.

Fame
Fame
by Tilly Bagshawe

4.0 out of 5 stars A great, rollicking read!, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Fame (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I keep reading in the papers how stressed we all are and, going on the faces of my fellow commuters, this is all too true!

A book like "Fame" enables you to switch off. Yes, you pretty much know how it is all going to work out but Tilly Bagshawe has created a great cast of characters here and, for sheer entertainment value, this is well worth reading.

Need You Now
Need You Now
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, 11 July 2011
This review is from: Need You Now (Audio CD)
I was first aware of Lady Antebellum when I watched the Grammys and was rather impressed.

Last week I was in the car when "Need You Now" came on and I decided to buy the CD. It arrived Saturday morning and, two days later, I think I have listened to it five times - absolutely love it but I put a lot of that down to the fact that it is modern country with a very strong rock influence. Great harmonies, fantastic tunes and, well, what can I say - very, very impressive! I'm typing this at lunch and can't wait to get in the car and listen to it again - I know, I know, there is no hope for me

Broken: A Love Story: A Woman's Journey Toward Redemption on the Wind River Indian Reservation
by Lisa Jones
Price: 7.58

3.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse into native American life, 17 Jun 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always been interested in the native Americans, something I put down to being brought up on a constant diet of John Wayne films, even if the native Americans were usually played by Anthony Quinn who was Mexican or Jeff Chandler who was Jewish. I am also interested in spiritual healing which is why I read "Broken".

Lisa Jones is very honest in her writing and, whilst I struggled with the book on occasion, I persevered to the end and found it of great interest. Just getting to "meet" Stanford Addison through the pages is worthwhile, the positivity shining through despite his physical disability and the fact that he overcomes this in order to help other people.

In a world where it is now very much "dog eat dog" and concerned with material things, to escape to a completely different life style, as described in the book, makes you think about things just a little bit more which is no bad thing.

Hollywood Sinners
Hollywood Sinners
by Victoria Fox
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved it!, 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Hollywood Sinners (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read "Hollywood Sinners" whilst on holiday and just the thing - easy reading and holds you to the end. A good cast of characters, some with implausible names but isn't that always the case with such books, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's Victoria Fox's first book and I think she can look forward to a long career in the Jackie Collins mould. I couldn't put her book down.

American Devil
American Devil
by Oliver Stark
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars A thriller that thrills!, 24 Mar 2011
This review is from: American Devil (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
American Devil, whilst not entirely original, picked me up from the first page and carried me through to the end. There are so many thrillers of this type on the market that perhaps we readers sometimes get jaded but I felt that this was an impressive first novel with well described characters and an involving plot. I couldn't put it down!

Think of a Number
Think of a Number
by John Verdon

3.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent writing, 24 Mar 2011
This review is from: Think of a Number (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let me start off by saying I love thrillers, I sometimes wonder what goes on in my mental make up that I go for such books, and that was why I was looking forward to reading "Think of a Number. The book started slowly but I thought "Stick with it". However, despite an intricate plot and an obvious talent for writing, it just didn't grab me. I look to thrillers to sweep me along but I found the book somewhat pedestrian. Mind you, given the very positive reviews that the book has received, please decide for yourself - it might just be me!!!

Prima Donna
Prima Donna
by Karen Swan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun!, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Prima Donna (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good fun, very easy reading and also learned a bit about ballet in the process!

Read it whilst on holiday and great chick lit as it's an easy read with well rounded characters. I am now keen to read Ms Swann's earlier book "Players" because it strikes me that she has a great future in the "easy read" field.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17