Profile for Arch Stanton > Reviews

Content by Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton

A Sweet Adventure: To Share!
A Sweet Adventure: To Share!
by Tara Cresswell

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last! I Am Cool..., 10 Jan 2014
Let me just start by stating that, as a confirmed bachelor, I know less than zero about contemporary children's books. That said, Christmas is over and I can confirm that I'm now well on my way to becoming godparent of the year. Having purchased this brilliant little book for my identical twin godsons, on a pre Christmas dash around Waterstones, I have finally delivered on a quality present that even their mum loves... and yes, as an unexpected bonus, I get to feel more than a little smug, having just leapt to 'cool godparent' status in a single purchase!

This charmingly innovative, bright and colourful children's book, designed, like the title says, to share! is a really clever little idea that actually works very well in practice. Far from being a gimmick, this is a book that's been well thought out for parents with twins or multiples, or just siblings for that matter. Now, here's the science part -the book itself can be read to/with/by both twins at the same time, as each of it's gorgeously illustrated pages are mirrored on the opposite page, so that each child gets to share the book equally. Who'd have thought that would be an innovation? It works wonderfully, with both my godsons each pointing out the numerous details together, as mum reads it to them. It's a deceptively simple idea, beautifully executed.

Kudos to both writer and illustrator, a beautifully descriptive and richly detailed rhyming story that's fast become my godsons' book of choice at bedtime. I would definitely recommend to anyone with younger children and, in particular, for those with twins. Excellent.

Keeping Mum [DVD]
Keeping Mum [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rowan Atkinson
Offered by NextDayEntertainment
Price: 3.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Come On Niall, Give Us A Horror!, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Keeping Mum [DVD] (DVD)
Plenty to enjoy in this accomplished brit flick, a gentle tone with dark humour and some genuine laughs. A great cast and well written but all somewhat undersold by a sorely lacking advertising and marketing campaign, it deserved better.

I should confess that I used to know the writer/director, Niall, from my days involved in Bristol's local media scene, or, as I like to call it, the early Ardman years -Wallace and who? Niall was always a great one for movie conversation, from Dirty Harry to controversial flicks like White Dog, you'd always get an entertaining, intelligent and informed conversation from him. He was clearly full of drive and ambition to write and direct his way out of corporates and develop a career in features, from his early vampire effort, Dawn, to the more accomplished and adult themed The Big Swap, in 1998. I'm really pleased that Niall has managed to get his shot at directing an established cast of terrific actors, in a sensibly budgeted ensemble piece like Keeping Mum. Although, having had some real success with his screenplay for White Noise, I'd rather like to see him tackle the horror genre once again. Come on Niall, don't let your initial love of all things that go bump in the night, particularly The Exorcist, go to waste, give us an 'adult' horror film, I think the audience is out there just waiting. Good Luck.

Mars Attacks (Topps)
Mars Attacks (Topps)
by Zina Saunders
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars ACK! ACK! ACK!!, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Mars Attacks (Topps) (Hardcover)
You like Mars Attacks trading cards? Buy this book!
You like classic 50/60's Sci-fi illustrations? Buy this book!
You like Burton's Mars Attacks? Buy this book!

In short... just buy this book, it's ack! ack! 'mazing!!

Jaws (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy)
Jaws (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy)
Dvd ~ Roy Schneider
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING ON BLU RAY!!!!!!!!!, 27 Nov 2012
This is a classic film presented as a classic, restored and must own blu ray. It's never looked so good. Utterly amazing picture quality and jam packed with hours of extras. BUYIT NOW!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2012 6:48 AM GMT

Zombie Flesh Eaters [Blu-ray Steelbook]
Zombie Flesh Eaters [Blu-ray Steelbook]
Dvd ~ Tisa Farrow
Offered by ludovico_institute
Price: 46.99

4.0 out of 5 stars WHAT NO SLIPCASE??? GREEDY ARROW!!!!, 27 Nov 2012
Like many others I have been hearing the news that this much anticipated blu ray release from Arrow has hit the bullseye in the quality stakes.... thank heavens, thank Arrow!! But, wait what's this no traditional matching slipcase? Arrow are playing it very unfair with their core fan base of loyal repeat customers with this new money squeezing strategy of slipcase editions only available via their own (over priced) website. It's a short sighted, mean spirited tactic that will piss off those of us who've been purchasing their genre blu rays since initial releases, like Dawn Of The Dead, onwards. VERY BAD FORM ARROW!! Take a long hard look at yourselves, take a moment.... have a rethink, then forget this terrible idea. You have been getting better with each release (despite all the internet fan boy trolls bitching, moaning and nitpicking over every slightest frame wobble) don't give people any more reasons to moan after leading us all down the path of beautifully matching Slip case spines. Please be reasonable and ship these versions via Amazon etc. DON'T PUSH IT. DON'T ANNOY YOUR CUSTOMERS AND MOST OF ALL, DON'T GET GREEDY!! Blue Underground dics are region free :-)
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2012 7:58 PM GMT

Dead Son Rising
Dead Son Rising
Price: 15.82

4.0 out of 5 stars RANDOM AS RANDOM GETS?, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: Dead Son Rising (Audio CD)
How utterly random. I was travellig into London by train on the morning of 26th October, having just bought 'Dead Son Rising' online, when I look across the carrage from where I'm standing to see Gary Numan sitting with his family. To say I was a little phased, not star struck mined you, just plain weirded out, would be the understatment of the year. I would loved to have just said a big thanks for all his great music over the years, but as he was enjoying time with what seemed like a lovely family, I thought better of it. Didn't want to be one of 'those' people, if you know what I mean.

Still, Mr Numan, if you're reading these reviews at any point, I love the new work and I thank you for all the old. Respect.

Drive [Blu-ray] (2011)
Drive [Blu-ray] (2011)
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling
Offered by rsdvd
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST FILM OF 2011 - HANDS DOWN!, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: Drive [Blu-ray] (2011) (Blu-ray)
Outstanding! Watched this one at the cinema a couple of months ago. Trust me, films this good don't come along very often, do yourself a favour and pick this up on blu ray. You won't regret it.

Us
Us
Offered by positivenoise
Price: 14.23

5.0 out of 5 stars PG's MASTERPIECE., 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: Us (Audio CD)
Of all the PG albums, this remains his greatest achievement. Both warm and dark this is a beautiful, haunting soundtrack for every stage of a relationship. Quite simply a musical journey of astonishing beauty that, once really listened to, will stay with you. An album that will call you back again and again for many years to come. Bought in 1992 and has been a musical companion ever since.

New Blood
New Blood
Price: 7.49

3.0 out of 5 stars PG Tips?, 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: New Blood (MP3 Download)
Okay, I was one of the many/few who liked PG's 'Scratch My Back' covers and I'm sure that with time, numerous plays and the knowledge that this experiment is now likely at an end, I will no doubt grow to enjoy this 'New Blood' offering. However I am, as I'm sure are many other PG followers, growing a little tired of these, albeit lovely sounding, water treading albums. Yes, we are all fully aware of and very use to PG's lengthy musical processes -new material once a decade seems to be the rate of things- and to be honest, as much as I'd like a whole lot more, I can live with that because PG always brings the quality. So then, given that 'Up' was his last bout of fresh material in 2002, we all await something pretty spectacular in 2012.

No pressure then.

Come on Peter, pull your socks up and really deliver in 2012!

The Rocky Horror Picture Show [Blu-ray] [1975]
The Rocky Horror Picture Show [Blu-ray] [1975]
Dvd ~ Tim Curry
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Clear Rocky!, 4 Dec 2010
Oh, Rocky! It's never going to get any better that this. It looks great, it sounds great. Fox have finally given 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' (1975) the A/V love and respect it so richly deserves. They've made a few $ from this one over the decades and it was obviously time to give something back.

It couldn't really look an more pristine, the print transfer is fabulous, colours positively pop from the screen, solid blacks and NO trace of DNR. The grain that is visible, should be visible. Given the age of the of the film, the 70's stock used to shoot on, it all holds up remarkably well. There are slight issues around the quality of a few shots that incorporate optical's but nothing of any real concern, besides, these minor issues cannot be avoided. The audio is also given a real boost and is unlikely to sound better. Extras are plentiful, some new to Blu ray, others ported over from the previous DVD release.

If you've never seen the film -stop wasting time reading this and buy it immediately! If you already own a copy on DVD, go for this Blu ray upgrade, superior image and audio quality, this transfer is superb!