Profile for Chris Giles > Reviews

The Walking Dead - Season 1 [DVD]
The Walking Dead - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew Lincoln
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars The zombie-survival horror TV show for people who don't like zombie-survival horror., 22 May 2011
As soon as the hype and announcements of this show were made, I was eager to 'get my teeth into it' and i'm pleased to say my anticipation an excitement was not disappointed.
The Walking Dead is a great accomplishment from a unique and original creative source. Its great to see TV companies tapping into the comic-book market for fresh ideas, and AMC have delivered a thoroughly satisfying, tence and dramatic show.
As a collector and reader of Kirkman's comic book series, I was very pleased to see how well the show adapted this captivating and unstoppable comic story line. However, for fans of the comic book expecting a page-by-page, panel-by-panel retelling of their favorite zombie comic, the show drifts quite considerably away from this. This is not a bad thing, in fact I found it to be quite appealing.

Theres no way they could deliver the same story in the comics to tv because too much happens at once. It needs to spread out as an interesting, character-driven narrative that sustains a cliff hangar ending after each episode, which it does. But this doesn't mean the show departs completely from the comic series, no. It stays faithful to key elements such as the hospital scene, the half-mutilated zombie corpse Rick goes back to kill, the horse in Atlanta and Dale's RV - all very significant aspects of Kirkman's comic brilliantly re-imagined into a ultra realistic TV pilot.

The show has had to expand a lot on Kirkman's comic book in terms of story line, depth and characterization, and the creative team are building successful episodes from it.

I really didnt want this show to end after watching it and i'm really looking forward to how the next series goes. I will always prefer the comic book over the show, but TWD tv series is another way to deliver the fantastic comic book story for audiences who perhaps dont read Kirkman's comic series or TV shows in this genre as well.

Transformers Vol. 2: International Incident (Transformers (Numbered))
Transformers Vol. 2: International Incident (Transformers (Numbered))
by Mike Costa

2.0 out of 5 stars The 'Spark' is fading along with all hope..., 19 Jan. 2011
*Sigh...*

I told myself that I would give this series the benefit of the doubt and continue to persevere even though my devotion for this ongoing title was dwindling.

I'm afraid to say that my expectations have once again lost all hope and there appears to be very little keeping me interested in this comic. Forgive me Transformers, its not your fault, its your unsatisfactory execution and lack of quality that has left a very bitter taste.

Artistically, Don Figueroa has a significant absence is this collection, except for some cool covers only, instead handing over pencils to E.J Su and others. Su's drawings I can get on board with - he gives the robots a nice sharp edge and good attention to detail. As for the rest, I was drawn to distraction by the complete sloppyness and careless creativity at some of the robots: it looked like half the book was rushed, slung together without any thought for scale, expression or design. Why on Earth can't this series resemble the artistic flare that titles such as War Within, Generation 1, Armada, Infiltration through to Devastation brought us?

As for the story, this is the one redeeming factor I just about managed to enjoy. However, for readers expecting a satisfying dose of robot spot-light, once again we are forced to read panel after panel, page after page of mind-numbing, poorly drawn, dull, human interference. Costa, your work on G.I. Joe is cool, continue scripting humans there, but leave the TFs alone! There is too much attention to the human story thread that disrupts the cool robot fight scenes (of which I'm pleased to say there are lots) and interesting characterisation between the two-feuding robot factions. They are an unnecessary distraction I'd like to see removed completely.

I understand things are looking up for the issues following this collection, with the return of absent characters in new guises, but as for this edition, despite the glossy and shiny cover and Optimus Prime back on form, this simply is not good enough. It is not what the many TFs fans have come to expect or want from their favourite characters and creators. Must. Get. Better.

Transformers Vol. 1: For All Mankind (Transformers (Idw))
Transformers Vol. 1: For All Mankind (Transformers (Idw))
by Mike Costa

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Transformers, but not as we know it..., 9 Aug. 2010
Transformers Ongoing launches a new era in the robot vs. robot saga set after the events of All Hail Megatron.

I was anticipating a new and exciting direction, one that myself and fellow TFs comic book fans could get their optics into, but sadly, much like All Hail Megatron, this series fails to deliver to the high-octane, vast character potential and robots-in-disguise action I was hoping for!

Set on Earth focusing on a rag-tag group of Autobots & Decepticons (with spotlights on lesser known characters getting good 'screen time'), civil unrest among the two groups causes issues about leadership and their reasons for still being on Earth. I won't say what happens to Optimus Prime, but lets just say it's considerably out of character and quite frankly a giant letdown from what you'd expect from him. And don't get me started on Ironhide! (I just feel IDW milked what happened to him to get more £ with his own spin-off title linked to this one) but anyway...

One of my biggest issues with the current IDW-verse of TFs titles (excluding the spotlights which were brilliant) is the constant need for humans and their storylines! I appreciate that it keeps in tune with the G1 80s cartoons as they had Spike etc, but I feel hard done by when I expect to enjoy giant robot action, when instead I actually get panel after panel of mundane human characters that seem to possess the technology to defeat the Decepticons! I just wish they would remove the whole human element completely, get off Earth, back into space and continue the fight elsewhere!

The artwork has taken a lot of criticism with this series, and with good reason. Pencilling this story arc is Don Figueroa - quite simply one of the best TFs artists since Pat Lee. I was shocked and surprised by his artwork when compared to his other work such as TFs War Within. Some of his attention to detail on vehicles is very sloppy and his unusual artistic direction to draw the TFs with bland and similar facial expressions is not what I've come to expect from this creator. However, he does draw robots better than people. I just wish the script didn't have so much of them in!

I'm prepared to give this series the benefit of the doubt, and once the TFs get off Earth and Optimus Prime back to his proper post, then this ongoing series will have something going for itself. I just hope it's not too little, too late.

Chew Volume 1: Tasters Choice
Chew Volume 1: Tasters Choice
by John Layman

5.0 out of 5 stars Get your teeth into this...!, 29 Nov. 2009
For any readers sceptical about this title really shouldn't be. I know what you're thinking - how can a new ongoing comic series about a Detective that solves cases by eating a disgusting range of food be worth reading? Its just that. Lead protagonist Tony Chu is a cop with a very rare ability. Just taking a bite from any food he can get an instant taste, history and image of what, where and how the food was created, and what has gone in it. He uses this skill to help him solve cases surrounding gross murders and putrifying corpses...all of which require him to...well...eat, usually with amusing consequences!

Chew is a really very funny book with an excellent and snappy pase to it. A very unique story line with brilliant ongoing twists and plot holes that will be fasciniating to read as the series continues. This is well worth the special low introductory price for it and for those wanting something different to their comics than super heroes, Chew is a comical noir thriller, deeply immersive and quite simply brilliant.