Profile for Louis P. Burns > Reviews

Content by Louis P. Burns

Louis P. Burns "Louis P. Burns aka Lugh" (Derry, Ireland)

Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time
Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time by Steve Mason (2013). A review by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh., 31 Dec 2013
Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time by Steve Mason (2013)
A review by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh.

I bought Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time by Steve Mason last week and can honestly say it has proven itself to be a deeply empowering, rewarding and uplifting lyrical and musical experience. I keep going back to it and playing it from start to finish. It cruises and glides magnificently and is without doubt my album of choice from 2013.

Each time I listen to it I rediscover bits of myself and how I used to think back when I was at my most creative as a writer. I really needed that to happen. Everything that the song's music and lyrics are playing and saying has resynchronised me with me, the world I'm in and all I have lived my entire life to be.'

Seriously folks, if you want to feel alive and fully reconnected again. Buy yourselves or someone you 'dig' a copy of Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time by Steve Mason. I can assure you that good things will happen :) ...

In My Sights; A Political Thriller (The Danny Cleland Adventures Book 1)
In My Sights; A Political Thriller (The Danny Cleland Adventures Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars In My Sights by Steven W Palmer. A review by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh., 25 Sep 2013
In My Sights by Steven W Palmer (who I network with regularly via Facebook on his nom de plume account) is without doubt one of the most effective and thrilling reads I have had the pleasure to purchase through amazon's Kindle books. It is a harrowing tale of how the corruption and greed of the British Conservative Party and their equally pathetic New Labour and Liberal Democrat cronies. As well as their Northern Irish counterparts up in Stormont have butchered their way through the lives of so many of the UK and Northern Ireland's most vulnerable; the disabled, elderly and through no fault of their own, long term unemployed.

The central character (Danny) is a retired SAS soldier who has returned to Scotland after many years defending what he thought was his country, only to discover that his own family has been tragically affected by the cruelty and multiple breaches of basic human rights perpetrated by Atos and the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP). The actual reality is that they have driven several thousands of people to their deaths or exacerbated already ongoing serious health problems and are relentless in their onslaught of anyone they deem 'fit for work.' Add to that that they are putting the regular and normally very committed staff working in benefits offices in danger of retribution. Thus furthering potential for more unemployed as staff go off on sick leave themselves or quit because their conscience won't allow them to be party to this mass murder and assault of the general public. In My Sights explores graphically how all of this can, and in my honest opinion must backfire eventually.

I have no reservations in recommending that funding bodies and screen writers work with Steven W Palmer on a few treatments of his story; In My Sights and adapt it to a working screenplay and eventual film. I would go further and say that should this happen then any OST (official sound track) could and should be made up of songs by the late Joe Strummer, London based Dub act; Dreadzone (Crazy Knowledge) plus Scottish acts; Girobabies, Primal Scream and Spiritualized, with absolute and definitive input from Cardiff based band; Sicknote. Their songs; Benefit Cheat and Death Before Employment would fit perfectly. A Man You Don't Meet Every Day by The Pogues would also work exceedingly well.

As the administrator and owner of the online activists, arts, literature and medias community; Sensitize © on the Upstate Renegade Productions website I rate In My Sights by Steven W Palmer 10 out of 10. It is a powerful and vital work for the times we are living through.

Very Sincerely.

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh, DERRY, Northern Ireland - 25th September, 2013.

Fosmon 4.5m High Speed Mini HDMI (Type C) to HDMI Cable compatible with Ployer Momo8 Bird, Archos 70/ 101 Internet Tablet, Asus Transformer TF100, CnM Touchpad II, NATPC, Sumvision Cyclone Astro, Scroll Excel android Tablet, Canon, Panasonic, Nikon, FLip Mino, Lumix, Panasonic, Sony Camera & Camcorder
Offered by theWireless USA

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok I suppose ..., 6 Aug 2013
Not entirely satisfied with this product to be honest. Although that's because I have it running across my living room floor and not embedded behind walls. That aside, it's quite cumbersome and what annoyed me most was that no sooner had I bought it than the Google Chrome device which does the same via wi-fi was released. I'll be upgrading to that soon, and this cable will eventually get assimilated into something else.

I'm giving it 6/10.

Cheers.

Slimport to HDMI adapter - Connect your Google Nexus 4 phone to an HDMI TV, monitor, or projector (SP1002)

5.0 out of 5 stars My review of Slimport to HDMI Adapter for the Google Nexus 4 phone, 10 July 2013
My review of Slimport to HDMI Adapter for the Google Nexus 4 phone is brief and to the point. This product works exceptionally well and without any problems.

Lemon Verbena Pure Essential Oil in a 10ml Amber Glass Dropper Bottle by Amphora Aromatics
Offered by Spiritual-Gifts

4.0 out of 5 stars I just wish I had ordered a larger bottle..., 8 Feb 2013
I just wish I had ordered more. Do they do 100 or 200ml bottles? I have 2 copper burners. This 10ml bottle that I only got 4 days ago is almost empty. That's understandable I suppose. Lemon Verbana is an invigorating aroma. A hit guaranteed to enliven and lift both mood and settings...

Black Microbead Aeroplane Plane Car Travel Soft Neck Pillow Extra Comfortable Micro Bead Head Rest
Offered by PINK AND BLUE GIFTS

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing product, and one I am very happy to promote / recommend..., 14 Nov 2012
I ordered one of these recently. I have the ongoing condition sleep apnea and this has given me untold tension relief which has in turn aided what sleep I do manage to get. I highly recommend this product to anyone losing sleep or experiencing discomfort while resting / sleeping...

No Time for Love
No Time for Love
by Hugo Meenan

5.0 out of 5 stars No Time For Love by Hugo Meenan. This review by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh / upstatelugh, 12 Dec 2010
This review is from: No Time for Love (Paperback)
I read most of No Time For Love by Hugo Meenan back in the searing heatwave of 1995. I was registered as homeless at the time having been the victim of crime in which my home was smashed to pieces by wannabe paramilitaries. So I was residing in a hostel on the Waterside of Derry.

I was sitting in the Dungloe Bar - Waterloo Street feeling really low and Hugo walked in with another dear friend of mine, Liam Hillen. When Hugo learned that I was homeless and had been facing a lot of sectarian hatred from a few (Loyalist) fools out at the hostel where I was staying he told me that I had to go with him to where he lived to chill out for a while and recharge my energy levels. We did. At that time Hugo lived with his partner, a wonderful lady called Valerie in a large farmhouse in Donegal at Newtoncunningham on the way to Letterkenny. When he told Valerie about my situation she made me a meal and said I could go have a bath and if I wanted my clothes washed, to leave them out for her. Later that evening as we all sat in their livingroom Hugo handed me a copy of his book and explained a little bit on how it came about. Then he recommended I have a read of it. Both Valerie and Hugo went out of their way to make me feel relaxed and soon I became completely engrossed in No Time For Love.

The story while fictional is centred on the experiences of a young male character who gets caught up in the conflict raging in the North of Ireland against the British Crown and its forces of occupation. Places and settings were all very familiar to me having grown up in Derry during the worst of the war and I identified in no small way with the central character and his story. Hugo's writing style is highly captivating and at times I felt like I was listening to the book rather than reading it. Sublime and superb are two words I would use when describing his narrative form.

I read chapter after chapter not wanting to put it down. Eventually though tiredness got the better of me and I fell asleep. The next morning however, I was back at the book while Hugo (a practitioner of Tai Chi and yoga) meditated in the morning sun out on his doorstep. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to finish reading it because Hugo was called upon by one of his neighbours to assist him in chasing a big bull from one field to the next and away from the cows. So, we both ended up doing that, then walking a few miles to the nearest filling station where we waited for a bus back up to Derry.

I am absolutely gagging to read No Time For Love by Hugo Meenan again. The man and his lovely partner literally saved my life. They gave me a little hope at a time when I was at breaking point and I will never forget their kindness and their genuine respect for my poetry which I shared with them because it was all I had to contribute that night. Valerie and Hugo: If you are ever reading this review, please know that I have the deepest admiration, gratitude, love and respect for the two of you.

Sincerely.