Profile for Claire Hansen > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Depraved 2
Depraved 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Depraved, 21 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Depraved 2 (Kindle Edition)
After reading the first Depraved I was excited to move on to this one.
As before, this is well written, nicely edited, and a pleasure to read in that respect.

The only 'letdown' for me with this book was a minor issue, but I felt that the author had a little too many balls in the air. Not enough time spent with each character and too many flits between. Though I do sense that I felt this way purely because there were some characters that I was just dying to read more about. Some were absolutely riveting, edge of the seat, brilliant, others were good, but not as exciting and I was always eager to get back to the more fun ones.

This book is even more 'depraved' than the first. It is gory and gruesome and discusting and vile and cringe inducing and fantastic.
It is a brilliant read if you're a fan of mindless, uninhibited brutality. It explores the absolute limits of depravity.
I would not recommend this for the faint of heart or the easily queasy.

The surprising 'twist' partway into the book takes it off on a whole strange and unexpected angle, which, I can understand, would not be everybody's cup of tea, but I found it fun.

I really enjoy this author, I feel like I've found my Laymon replacement.

Luxury Beauty Box - FREE when you spend £40 in Beauty
Luxury Beauty Box - FREE when you spend £40 in Beauty

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice freebie, 15 Mar. 2016
Not a chance worth £45. I'd be livid if I'd paid for it, but, since I was spending £40 on other stuff anyway, I added it. It's nice as a little bonus extra.
The packs inside are really more just like sample or tester items, they're not very big.
I won't be using any of them and will most likely keep it stored away to be given as a secret santa gift- the value is around that sort of amount, I would say.

But for a freebie, can't complain.

TBF Swim Training jacket, RASPBERRY, M
TBF Swim Training jacket, RASPBERRY, M
Offered by Mikes Diving Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Swim Jacket, 15 Mar. 2016
I bought this for my daughter, who will be 2 years old in 2 days, and is quite small for her size. It was my initial instinct to buy it in small, as most of her things are small. However, when I read the chest measurements I grabbed a tape measure and her chest circumferance was 50cm, which I realised put her in the 'medium' category. I worried this would be too big, but followed the instructions and bought it.

When the vest arrived (very quickly) the inside of the jacket stats S 1-2Y, M 3-4Y and so I was very worried it would be too big, as my daughter isn't even in 2-3 clothes yet, let alone 3-4. I tried it on her and surprisingly, it's not a terrible fit. It IS a bit big, but I do think that the small size may have been a little tight. So I would agree with the recommendation to size this on chest measurement, rather than age.

HOWEVER it is still a bit big. We went swimming to test it out, and found that because it's not as snug as we would like, it sort of floats up around her shoulders and neck. She didn't seem to mind, and toddled around the baby pool quite happily.

My only actual concern with this is that every now and then my daughter would launch forwards (trying to copy her big sister swimming, I believe) when she did this she would land face first in the water, with her legs slightly raised, and due to the jacket, could not right herself, picture this: 2 year old child, STUCK face down with her head under the water, unable to right herself.

Do not buy one of these and expect to leave your child unattended (by 'unattended' I do not mean 'unobserved' I simply mean that you can not keep an eye on them from a distance, you will need to stay very close). If I hadn't been by her side constantly to set her upright, she could've drowned.
The simple solution to this seems to be to wear armbands with the jacket, these will stop her from hurling herself forwards, so that's what I'll be doing. I'm glad we took it for a test run at the local pool before going on holiday in a couple of weeks.

It's a handy little jacket, but I wouldn't say it can be used as a standalone safety device on a small child.

TOWY Anthology: A collection of disturbing tales.
TOWY Anthology: A collection of disturbing tales.

3.0 out of 5 stars Take One With You, 14 Mar. 2016
Collection of short stories all based around the idea of 'Take One With You' a murder/suicide craze, sweeping the world.
Some of these stories are a good read, well written, nicely edited, imaginative and fun.
Some of them are not.
Some of the tales have clearly had no editing at all, there are submissions from authors who are obviously not so experienced, one in particular that didn't even seem to have been written by someone with English as a first language (the story about the man and his girlfriend involved in human trafficking).
As with all short story anthologies, there are some which are a great read, some that are not so much. 70% of the 'bad' reads in this could be improved upon with some basic proof reading, the remainder are just not great.
On the decent stories alone, I would recommend this, it's a decent read. Though I wouldn't pay for it. I read it for free on Kindle Unlimited. With the amount of work it still needs, I would not say it was worth spending money on, unless bad editing is something you don't mind, personally, it ruins a book for me.

Bunnycomb Free From Easter Egg 100 g
Bunnycomb Free From Easter Egg 100 g

5.0 out of 5 stars great product., 1 Mar. 2016
Bought to send to a friend who has a son who is allergic to wheat, dairy, nuts and egg.
He could eat this fine and it was very well received.
Yes, it can be bought cheaper elsewhere, however, for the convenience of adding it on to an order I was having posted straight to the friend, it was well worth it. His little face was a picture and I'm glad I could send a little joy in this form to a little boy who will miss out on a lot at easter time!
That these products are available to allow children with allergies to feel like they're not missing out is fantastic.

Depraved
Depraved

5.0 out of 5 stars New Laymon?, 19 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Depraved (Kindle Edition)
Came across this in a search for Richard Laymon, hoping to find a similar author. I've worked my way through Laymon, Ketchum, Blake Crouch, and was looking for something along the same lines.
This book was available on Kindle Unlimited and so I lose nothing if it's terrible, so I decided to give it a go.
Very, very pleased that I did.
Byran Smith has to be the closest comparable author I've found yet to matching Laymon for gore and nastiness. Yes, it's morbid, and indeed... Depraved, but it's the type of fiction I love, and this book was brilliant.
Intelligently written, well edited (picked up maybe 3 or 4 errors throughout, which is a perfectly acceptable amount in my eyes). It was a pleasure to read from that point of view, and from a storyline aspect it was just as good. Fast paced, plenty of action, always something to keep you wanting more. Every time a chapter ended and you shifted to a different character it was almost bittersweet, as you desperately want to find out what happens to the person you were just reading about, but you're also excited to be back with the new one to see what's going on there!
I will be downloading more of mr Smith's works, and am very much hoping that the others are as good as this.
It was exactly what I'd been searching for, but I wouldn't advise reading if you're squeamish, or if horror isn't a genre you normally go for.

Calvin Klein Contradiction Eau de Parfum for Women - 100 ml
Calvin Klein Contradiction Eau de Parfum for Women - 100 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Well received gift, 13 Jan. 2016
Bought this as a christmas present for my sister.

She's always asking for perfume, but likes the ridiculously expensive stuff, so I always end up buying her something she's not too bothered over. I'm not a big perfume wearer myself (I have a bottle of Marc Jacobs' Daisy and a bottle of Ghost, and that's it :D ) so I really put no stock into the names or who makes it.. If I like the smell, it works for me.
I saw this on amazon and figured I'd give it a go for her for christmas.

Delivery was fast, very happy with that.
When my sister opened it she was delighted, definately happy with my choice. She pulled off the plastic packaging and opened up the box, I had been a little worried that the bottle only contained the tiny amount shown at the bottom in the picture, but when she opened it and took off the lid I was pleased to see that it's a nice big bottle, the top just slides over most of it.
To me it smells nice, it smells.. perfumey, but as I say, I'm no judge of perfume.
My sister, however, loves it. She wears it daily and is very pleased with it. I think I'll be getting her another bottle next christmas!

The Best of Horror Library: Volumes 1-5
The Best of Horror Library: Volumes 1-5

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of the Pan Horror Collections, 7 Jan. 2016
Absolutely fantastic.

When I was younger I had a huge collection of the Pan Horror short stories books and I ate up every word. Loved them.
This library is the same sort of thing.
It is gory, it is gruesome, it is cringworthy and shudder inducing. It is brilliant. If you are a fan of a good old fashioned real horror story, then this collection is for you.
Well written and edited, nicely put together, a good collection of authors.
Yes, some stories don't pop like others, some aren't AS good, but overall the quality of these are great. I couldn't put it down (then when I did I couldn't sleep!)
I didn't pay for it, as I have kindle unlimited, so borrowed and read it for free. But I would pay for it. I massively enjoyed reading this collection.

Its Girl Stuff 3-Tier Play Make Up Set in Pretty Shaped Case
Its Girl Stuff 3-Tier Play Make Up Set in Pretty Shaped Case
Offered by K Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars winner, 5 Jan. 2016
Good size, bright, colourful, all slots together in a handy little case.
Bought as part of a birthday gift for my 7 year old niece. Her mother is a beautician and she fancies herself a little mimic, so she absolutely loved this. It went down better than the CD I bought her to go along with it.
To be fair, I haven't seen it since she took it home with her, so I can't honestly comment on how well it's holding up, but I know my sister would've told me if it had broken or fallen apart, so I have to assume it's still in one piece and still keeping my niece amused.
For the price it is an excellent gift for a young girl.

I just feel a bit sorry for all her dolls!

SODIAL(R)Fashion Women Chiffon Blouses Women Flower Print Lapel Casual Chiffon Long Sleeved Shirts Women Tops white M
Offered by A Brilliant Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely blouse, 5 Jan. 2016
Bought this as a christmas extra for my husband's grandmother.
Bought a size M and it seems to be fine, but she's a very small, frail lady, I would say around a size 8.

The shirt took a long time to be delivered, but when it did arrive was pleased.
It's very pretty, the pattern is lovely, bright, vibrant colours.
The shirt is pretty sheer, I would recommend wearing something underneath it, a white vest top or something.

As a gift it's gone down very well, his grandma seemed very pleased with it (and I normally struggle to buy for her!) so overall am really happy with this blouse, just wasn't chuffed with the delivery time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8