Profile for Mr. George P. De Albuquerque > Reviews

Content by Mr. George P. ...

Mr. George P. De Albuquerque "Junglewalker" (Portugal)

Page: 1 | 2
A Twist Of Rit
A Twist Of Rit

2.0 out of 5 stars A Twist of Rit with an annoying processed tone !, 28 Jan. 2016
This review is from: A Twist Of Rit (Audio CD)
I've been enjoying LR's recordings since he first appeared on the scene and have bought most of them .
I'm grateful to Spotify for allowing me to hear this one before buying .
The reworked tunes are for the most part bland and hugely inferior to the originals .
This is aggravated in my view by Lee's unfortunate use of an annoying Leslie / compressor effect throughout - his guitar tone is annoying & gets in the way of his playing .
( I have thought similarly of John McLaughlin's recorded tone of late ... makes his records almost unlistenable )
The track Pearl is just that ... lovely .
The drum playing throughout is phenomenal ( Weckl ? )
The bass .... is it me ? This tendency for players to use five strings and more ... too often results in a thunderous indistinct low register rumble in which the subtlety of the playing is often lost .... I really prefer the tone of Jamerson / Rainey / Jemmot / Weeks ... even Laboriel .
Whenever Ernie Watts appears the project soars ... he is a giant of a player with a beautiful unique immediately identifiable tone .... a Player Supreme !
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2016 5:02 PM GMT

Forlana
Forlana

5.0 out of 5 stars The very special Neil Larsen, 26 April 2015
This review is from: Forlana (MP3 Download)
How delicious to have some new material from the ever wonderful Neil Larsen ... and you know its Neil from about two seconds into the first track .
There is a certain very hard to define strand of beautiful uplifting melancholy in much of Neil's writing .. it makes you feel good but there is more to it than that ... for me he has always been one of the very best composers in this sort of genre .
If I could have had one wish ... it would have been for Buzz Feiten to have been involved ... but I'm very happy to have this and congratulations Neil on maintaining such a very high standard over the years ... and thank you .

Tusq PQ-9276-C0 3 inch Compensated Acoustic Saddle
Tusq PQ-9276-C0 3 inch Compensated Acoustic Saddle

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Mar. 2015
Perfect ... good result ... I do hear an improvement in the sustain and tone of my Yamaha LL500 which inexplicably comes with a plastic nut and saddle .

Betron RK300 High Quality Earphones Headphones with Noise Isolating Technology and High Grade Reinforced Cable with Gold Plated Connection (Black)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good 'phones., 23 Mar. 2015
Quite good 'phones ... interesting that the ear tip people ( Comply ? ) have apparently never heard of them ... I suspect that the right tips have rather more to do with the performance of these things than most realise ? I had some Shure 'phones with Comply style memory foam tips that were excellent .... they packed up ... Shure were atrocious & did nothing to resolve the situation .... Sony were the same ... awful / disgraceful .
These are quite good for the money ... but nothing special .

Broadchurch [DVD] [2013]
Broadchurch [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Olivia Colman

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Broadchurch [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
We liked the ending more than most apparently

Spotify Music
Spotify Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Spotify Music (App)
Wonderful substitute for an endless collection of one's own ...

BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Powerline Multi-Adapter Kit - ( Pack of 3)
BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Powerline Multi-Adapter Kit - ( Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 21 Oct. 2014
Does the job very well .

One Way Out: The Inside History of the Allman Brothers Band
One Way Out: The Inside History of the Allman Brothers Band

4.0 out of 5 stars This will be enjoyed hugely by any fan, 9 Oct. 2014
This will be enjoyed hugely by any fan . I particularly liked the section in which Dickey talks , very eloquently ,about his and Duane's approach to playing together . I also like the fact that his enormous contribution to the ABB is treated with a little more respect than in some other books - including Gregg's . Whatever his issues along the way he is clearly rather more intelligent than some would have us believe - a great read .

Bakersfield
Bakersfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Vince, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Bakersfield (Audio CD)
Vince Gill has been endowed with far more than his fair share of talent ! Not only does he sing beautifully and unfailingly place himself in fabulous settings but he is one of the most exquisite guitar players in his genre . His solos are little compositions that literally make you smile as you listen to them .... and he is a good looking chap .
I hate him !

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit voyeuristic ?, 12 May 2014
I dont share the admiration of others for this - particularly . I'd like to be reassured that Mr Grosz had the permission of his various " patients " ( yes I know they are given the protection of an initial rather than their full name but presumably their inner circle know exactly who is being written about ? ) ... I'd also like to know that he has shared the profits from his book sales with the less fortunate among those patients ... or done something similarly worthy .
Something made me uncomfortable about this .... I stopped half way through feeling a bit as if I was snooping . I didnt think his observations were particularly enlightening or brilliant .... found myself wondering more what sort of individual Mr G is .... there is a kind of implied superiority somewhere between the words .... like sitting next to someone who is pontificating in a know it all way .... and longing to move seats !

Page: 1 | 2