Profile for A. Perri > Reviews

Vegetarian Myth, The
Vegetarian Myth, The
by Lierre Keith

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Vegetarian Myth, The (Paperback)
I want to be clear about a few things:

1) I am a female.
2) I give the idea of this book 5 stars, but its execution 1.
3) I have been a radical vegan, a rabid meat-eater and everything in between (currently in the in-between)
4) I am working on an archaeological PhD on hunter-gatherer diets, subsistence, hunting and transition to agriculture.

I picked this book up after reading Jonathan Safran Foer's "Eating Animals". I thought it would be interesting to read a different perspective on the vegetarian debate. I found Safran Foer's book to be much more geared towards the inhumane practices of meat while Keith's book is geared more towards diet/health.

I admit that it took a very long time for me to get through this book, for several reasons. I purchased this book hoping to get something out of it. I am not an upset vegan who wants to hate it and I am not someone who bought it knowing Id love it. I was just neutral. There were two main reasons for my disappointment with the book. One minor, one major. First, I found the second agendas (specifically the radical feminism) distracting and unnecessary. I have nothing against the feminist agenda, but this wasnt the place to put it. Second, I found the book absolutely riddled with bad information, faulty facts and just plain lazy research (if you can call it 'research'). As someone who intensively researches these issues on a daily basis, I found myself underlining items on nearly every page that I knew were just plain untrue or were 'cherry-picked' facts slanted to give a certain perception. This is such a disappointment as a really great case could be made for the author's view if she had only put the real work into researching the book properly. Once you lose the reader's trust that you are providing factual information what do you have? Ill provide examples:

1) pg. 140: The author states that "Carbon-13 is a stable isotope present in two places: grasses and the bodies of animals that eat grasses". She goes on to suggest that since there is no evidence of grass "scratch marks" on the human teeth found, that they must have been eating animals. There are many flaws in this thought process. First, I cant even begin to explain the preservation and degradation issues present in examining three million year old teeth for 'scratch marks'. Second, carbon-13 is an isotope found in ALL terrestrial and marine plants, not just grass. Finding high levels of C3 or C4 (which are what carbon-13 breaks down into) in human teeth only means that that human was eating large amounts of SOME plant, seed, nut, etc. (not JUST grass) or the animal that ate those. It is not as simple as GRASS OR COW.

2) pg. 142: The author states that there are no bacteria in the human stomach. This is simply untrue. In 2005 Barry Marshall and Robin Warren won a Nobel Prize in Medicine for discovering a stomach bacteria that causes gastritis and ulcer disease. There are currently over 130 known stomach bacteria.

3) pg. 146: The author states a "rumor" authored by RB Lee about hunter-gatherers getting 65% of their calories from plants and 35% from meat. She states that this "simply isnt true". First, this rumor-spreader is one of the most well-respected anthropological/archaeological researchers in hunter-gatherer studies who edited what is considered THE tome on hunter-gatherer theory, 'Man the Hunter'. He isnt some random hack. Second, saying those numbers 'simply arent true' is simply not true. Hunter-gatherers did and do inhabit a huge range of environments and likewise their diets cover a wide range. Some do follow the 65/35% number. Some eat much more meat. Some eat much less.

These are only three examples from a span of six pages. This pattern continues throughout the entire book. Fact is the authors 'facts' just arent believable (which, again, is a shame because a factual book on this topic could be powerful). She writes as if the anthropological and archaeological evidence she quotes is written in stone, when in fact many of these topics are constantly under revision or not well understood yet. Most importantly, I just believe that writing a book and promoting it as a factual, scientific account of a subject when it is not is doing a great disservice to your (mostly) unknowing readers. If you are not willing to put in the real research effort, write a book that is touted as a personal account and nothing more. Selling flubbed facts to people who are truly searching for answers, inspiration or (insert what you are looking for here) is just bad journalism.

Ill end this review with some facts and encourage any readers (whether you liked the book, hated the book or havent read the book) to always question whether what you are reading is true and to do some research of your own.

The author cites 207 references in this book.
62 of those references are websites (~30%)
18 are newspapers and magazines (~7%)
32 are journals (~15%)
95 are other books (~46%)

First of all, think about that. 30% of the references in this book come from website information. Five of those 62 website references were Wikipedia. Wikipedia! One was Google Answers. I wont let my freshmen students use Wikipedia as a reference in their papers, why would it be acceptable for a book? Like websites, newspaper and magazine information needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Of the 32 journals less than half come from well known, peer-reviewed sources. The remaining 46% are books, which can truly say anything the author cares to print (as this one does) and only show that the author is getting her information from another source (and another opinion) aside from the primary one. The point of this is to make clear that this is a book that is sold as (and which many positive reviews hype as) providing scientific, factual, intellectual knowledge on the vegetarian/diet/health debate. In reality less than 8% of the book is coming from peer-reviewed, fact-checked sources which can provide unbiased, neutral information.

If anything I hope this review encourages people to get away from the bias on either side, find factual scientific sources instead of second-third-fourth hand knowledge, check information for yourself instead of blindly believing an author, and to question published material and push for it to actually be factual if it presented as such.
Comment Comments (27) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2015 6:26 PM BST

Devil Bones: (Temperance Brennan 11)
Devil Bones: (Temperance Brennan 11)
by Kathy Reichs

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great., 25 Mar. 2010
I had really high hopes for this book. As an anthropologist I had been watching Bones and really loved it. I decided to start reading the books after loving the show so much. This was the first I have read and I am not impressed.

First, the writing was a bit juvenile for my taste. It was written like the teenage mystery novels I read as a kid. Flat characters, predictable plot, and a story line that tried to create drama just by using words like 'satanism' and 'Wicca'. Boring. I love the character of Temperance in the TV show, but found that I really hated this version in the book. The romance between her and the men is soap-opera style drama and not at all entertaining.

I found myself putting this book down several times, but forced myself to push through and read it. It was not worth it. I hope other books in the series are better.

Krups Twin Blade Coffee Mill
Krups Twin Blade Coffee Mill
Offered by Harts Of Stur

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty nice, 25 Mar. 2010
I think this coffee mill works just fine. As others said it can be used for spices as well.

Grinds quickly & very finely (if you choose to)
The power button is easy to use
Nice design

Seems to be a bit louder than many of my previous mills
My coffee has a tendency to stick in the machine after ground

Overall a good product for the price and worth having. I would recommend it.

Bodum 1923 Chambord French Press Coffee Maker 0.35 L
Bodum 1923 Chambord French Press Coffee Maker 0.35 L
Offered by Kitchen Essence

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little thing, 25 Mar. 2010
Since moving to the UK a few months ago I had been missing my old Bodum back home. I wanted something small that I could have at home or the office without any problems, so I bought this smaller version. For some reason it was smaller than I was expecting. Fills my very large coffee mug about 3/4 of the way, so it is about one full regular cup. Not a problem. Good excuse to leave the desk to make more coffee!

This Bodum has everything I loved about my larger one. Sturdy design, easy to use, large handle that makes pouring easy. Really nice.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice for the price!, 25 Mar. 2010
I wasnt really sure what to expect for the price, but I was happily surprised. The blankets remind me of a high-quality airline blanket. Nice weight, warm without being itchy in the slightest. Cozy, soft, and you get two! Cant really ask for more.

Outliers: The Story of Success
Outliers: The Story of Success
by Malcolm Gladwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Has promise, but fell short, 19 Mar. 2010
When I ordered this book I thought it definitely had the potential to be an interested read - and it was. I dont disagree with the idea that some of the theories in this book could actually work, but the way the author went about proving them really threw me. As a scientist it is blatantly obvious when people are manipulating statistics. The author seemed to be cherry-picking numbers to fit his model, which is unfortunate because many of these models probably do work, he just went about showing that in the wrong way.

Another issue for me was his style of writing. Personally, I found it disjointed and hard to follow. Many of his chapters didnt seem to flow into each other very well and his voice was a bit too confident for the biased data he was presenting. Again, really unfortunate that he decided to use data in this way as I think a lot of his ideas have some real merit. Worth reading for the potential to explore the ideas alone, but not to be convinced by the data presented by the author.

Offered by sellthemquick

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, 27 Feb. 2010
Just received this product a few days ago. Recently moved to the UK and needed a new power adapter for my Toshiba laptop. Thought I was going to have to buy a whole new power supply, but then found this cord. Its cheap and does what it needs to do.

My New Filing Technique is Unstoppable
My New Filing Technique is Unstoppable
by David Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 27 Feb. 2010
This book is my go-to when Im having a bad day or just need a laugh. The use of clip art as office humor is just great. If you like 'Office Space' or 'The Office' you will like this book!

Michel Thomas Foundation Course: German (2nd edition) (Michel Thomas Series)
Michel Thomas Foundation Course: German (2nd edition) (Michel Thomas Series)
by Michel Thomas
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 Feb. 2010
I found this product to work very well. I had attempted German before, but dont learn well with the standard school-style nouns/verbs/adjectives way of teaching. This product really helps you learn the way you would if you were thrown into Germany and suddenly had to start speaking German. The encouragement to 'not try to learn it, no memorizing, no practicing' really takes the pressure off and allows your brain to just 'get it'. I was remembering sentences and words after my very first lesson. And, as others have said, it is easy to tote around with you (Ive downloaded it to my ipod) and listen as you are doing other things.