Profile for Windy Miller > Reviews

Content by Windy Miller

Windy Miller (Buckingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
J.S. Bach: Suite for Cello Solo No.1 in G, BWV 1007 - 1. Prélude
J.S. Bach: Suite for Cello Solo No.1 in G, BWV 1007 - 1. Prélude

5.0 out of 5 stars unique performer, 4 Mar 2014
My favourite interpretation of this beloved music. Maisky turns everything up to 11! It's so stirring and so not bland.

CIAK Medium Graph Notebook - Red
CIAK Medium Graph Notebook - Red
Offered by Glueballs

5.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 1 May 2013
For:
I really like this notebook. The paper is really good quality, thick and creamy with no show-through from my fountain pen. The binding is exceptional - the pages will not come out unless you rip them. The grid markings are quite visible - not super feint and don't extend to the edge of the page (that may or may not be a problem for you). The elastic closure is secure and you could tuck a pen down the side if you want.

I wanted a notebook to copy all my grandmother's recipes and build up my own collection so my criteria were: good paper; good binding; plenty of pages; something that's a pleasure to use for many years. I debated ages whether to buy this or a Moleskine. They are similar price but IMHO this is superior. I would say that the Moleskine is a good quality everyday notebook and really useful and I would choose it for certain tasks. However the Ciak is 'special' and using it feels like more of an event!

Against:
It's so chunky it doesn't lie completely flat when open (I'm OK with this) but could be irritating. The grid size is odd to my eyes - sub 5mm. I guess if you are an engineer this might be important to you.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, lightweight, quality, 9 Mar 2013
Have worn these straight out of the box and I find them extremely comfortable. I would say they are true-to-size but a roomy fit - plenty of space for thicker socks or wider feet. The tongue opens out a long way if you need to fit a high instep or just for general ease of putting on. IMHO not hugely suitable for muddy walks but will probably resist a few puddles and long grass especially as I have treated the suede with some waterproof spray. Would also not be my first choice for any serious hiking but totally OK for ambling/mooching and day-to-day life. Very lightweight. Lovely, quality boot that is well put together and looks cool. Very happy.

Papillio by Birkenstock Women's Pisa Birko Slides Sandal
Papillio by Birkenstock Women's Pisa Birko Slides Sandal

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual design but usual comfort of Birkenstock, 5 April 2012
Very happy with these as they feel secure and comfortable. From this supplier they are the narrow footbed which I think is fine for most people but do bear in mind there is no adjustment over the toe area as with some other designs. In the wide footbed I always go down a size with Birkenstocks but this design feels true to size in this narrow version. The pattern is lovely but the peacock brown is definitely browner than the picture which shows a more orange tint. Like the amount of toe coverage in this design!

El Naturalista Womens NA21 Shoulder Bag
El Naturalista Womens NA21 Shoulder Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but a couple of drawbacks, 2 Nov 2011
I am a huge fan of El Naturalista shoes - I find them really comfy and I like the slightly offbeat style. I have had my eye on these bags for a while as I think they look great. When the brown was heavily discounted recently I bought it (but I would have preferred a blue one).

Good points: The 'trigger' style fastening is great. It's chunky and good quality; the design looks good in the flesh and it's nicely put together; there is a key 'leash' attached to one side which isn't mentioned in the description.

Less-good points: the leather has a curious 'feel' to it - I don't know what the dressing is but it has a rough texture and stiffness; the opening to the bag is quite narrow for the size of bag. It's actually quite difficult to root around inside the bag and although I had hoped it would become my day-to-day bag I think it will get on my nerves too much so I will probably keep it for occasions. I expect it's my fault - I carry far too much junk - but with my purse, phone and kindle in it there's almost no room to get my hand in!

I think this is a good-looking bag that's quite useful but if had paid the best part of £200 for it I, personally, would have been a bit disappointed and would have returned it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2012 10:22 PM BST

Luxury 3ft Single size mattress
Luxury 3ft Single size mattress
Offered by Happy Beds

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous value for money, 15 Aug 2011
This review is from: Luxury 3ft Single size mattress
This mattress is just right for my 6-year-old. It's softish (but not unusable by an adult) and quite smart looking. For a kid's bed or guest bed it's difficult to see what else you would want from something in this price range.

Many other reviews commented on the speed of delivery. I ordered on a Thursday and it was delivered on a Tuesday. My so-called 'delivery slot' was 'between 9am and 6pm' so not very convenient. The driver did not ring before coming and came at about 1 o'clock.

Fly London Women's Jules Platforms Heel
Fly London Women's Jules Platforms Heel

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 29 July 2011
So happy with these. Gorgeous soft colour which will look geat with jeans and skirts. Very high but the platform makes them feel stable and wearable. Extremely comfortable and I can see myself wearing these without suffering too much. Feel true to size. Quality item.

Where Children Sleep
Where Children Sleep
by James Mollison

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this book, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Where Children Sleep (Hardcover)
Saw this in a newspaper review and knew we had to have it. Bought two copies and gave one to my daughter's school library as I thought it was so interesting and thought-provoking without being preachy or worthy. I know this book will be pulled out time and again by my daughter (9) and my son (6) over many years. It will not date and and deserves to become widely known and appreciated.

(Publisher, please note: Only drawback is that the cover is very delicate as it is unlaminated and the blue ink rubs very easily, spoiling the look of the book and its perceived quality.)

Keen Whisper 5124 - 7.0 UK - Sweet Grape/Neutral Grey
Keen Whisper 5124 - 7.0 UK - Sweet Grape/Neutral Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars feminine yet chunky; quite large, 12 April 2011
I'm keeping these and they are quite comfortable but I do have some reservations and if I had tried them on in a shop I may not have chosen them.

Firstly, the good points:
1. They do look quite pretty with the thin straps, nicer than the Newport or H2, for example, and I have no problem with the colour.
2. They really are waterproof and non slip - I have waded in them then got in and out of boats safely. The webbing isn't what I would call quick dry but they're fine.
3. The foot bed is very comfy and I have worn them all day straight out of the box. The back strap is very soft and kind to the foot. They don't smell too plasticky as well.

Drawbacks, IMHO:
1. They do seem to be sized quite big. I am a 6.5/7 and went for the 7 but it really is quite generous. I guess you want too big rather than too small, especially in the heat but when wet, my foot slides about quite a bit. I would advise that if you are a half size but on the smaller end, try a size below, especially if you have narrow feet.
2. The protected toe area makes your feet look really lopsided and the whole toe area is quite bulbous and clown-like.
3. I am concerned that the (very comfortable) back strap is also very (too?) stretchy and as it can't be adjusted I hope these shoes don't end up too loose.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2013 10:53 AM BST

Even Money
Even Money
by Dick Francis

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not right but it's OK, 17 Nov 2009
This review is from: Even Money (Hardcover)
NB I review this as a DF fan.

If you've never read any DF before then this is a perfectly serviceable whodunnit. It's a little convoluted, there are some hideous 'public service' style explanations, some characters are sketchy to the point of invisibility, the character sterotypes are all in place and the clunking plot development is bolted together like Meccano but this is typical of the Francis family style and it should be accepted as part of the charm. There's horses, a noble hero and not much to scare most people from teenage onwards.

If you are looking for a better introduction to his/their work, I would suggest you look elsewhere. Begin with an earlier classic - 'For Kicks', perhaps or 'Banker' - 'Blood Sport', 'In the Frame', 'The Danger', 'Come to Grief' and 'Proof' are also worth a look. In fact nothing after 'To the Hilt'.

For anyone with a little familiarity with DF's work I would like to suggest that 'Even Money' is a huge improvement on the, IMHO, awful 'Silks'. It saddens me to say that I haven't 'enjoyed' a DF book for a long while now but I do think this latest has a really good shot at recapturing something of the essence of the earlier work. I do think the hero is a bit dull - I'd like some more 'likeability' and 'grit'. I'd also like a single hero, just for once (please no more dead/nuts wives). I'd like an injection of pace, some humour, a sense of menace and threat and perhaps, some adult relations - all things you could often find in the classics.

But hey, I'm pleased to see they're keeping going with the series. No doubt I'll buy the next one as well.

Page: 1 | 2